Speedometer cutout at 60 km/h?

Dan

Guest
Hi all,

I have a CatEye "Velo 1" computer on my mountain bike. Its the most
basic model that CatEye make, with just current speed, odo and max speed.

A little while back I was going reasonably quick down a hill and hit 60
km/h for the first time (no easy feat on a mountain bike with knobby
tyres and low gearing - i had to get into an aero tuck!).

Anyway, the speedo hit "60.0" and the last zero started flashing. Is
this indicating that it can't go any higher?

- Daniel

Bizarre, check the specs/little info booklet the gizmo came with for settings. Even the most basic bike computer must be able to cope with 60km+, ie: if it was fitted to a road bike. Failing that, check the battery.

But I must ask you, why were you looking at the speedo while caning dow
a hill? Hope it wasn't singletrack.:

Anyone have better answers

-

Dan wrote:

> Anyway, the speedo hit "60.0" and the last zero started flashing. Is
> this indicating that it can't go any higher?

Have you checked the mounting? Can it be improved? Less gap?

cfsmtb wrote:
> Bizarre, check the specs/little info booklet the gizmo came with for settings. Even the most basic bike computer must be able to cope with 60km+, ie: if it was fitted to a road bike. Failing that, check the battery.

The most basic no-name speedo would show at least 99km/hr. But it would
also show elapsed time and average speed.
The OP has a model thats been deliberately crippled by the CatEye
marketing department, in a market segmentation exercise.
In a clueful world, nobody would buy such a thing.

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a CatEye "Velo 1" computer on my mountain bike. Its the most
> basic model that CatEye make, with just current speed, odo and max speed.
>
> A little while back I was going reasonably quick down a hill and hit 60
> km/h for the first time (no easy feat on a mountain bike with knobby
> tyres and low gearing - i had to get into an aero tuck!).
>
> Anyway, the speedo hit "60.0" and the last zero started flashing. Is
> this indicating that it can't go any higher?
>
> - Daniel

On my computer, up to 29.9 kmh it registers 1/10 kmh. After 30 kmh it only
gives .0 or .5, and after 60 kmh it registers only in whole numbers. I
suspect this is what your computer is doing.

- John

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a CatEye "Velo 1" computer on my mountain bike. Its the most
> basic model that CatEye make, with just current speed, odo and max speed.
>
> A little while back I was going reasonably quick down a hill and hit 60
> km/h for the first time (no easy feat on a mountain bike with knobby
> tyres and low gearing - i had to get into an aero tuck!).

Bah! My dodgy Dunlop Speedo reached 69.7 km/h going down Heathcote Rd
heading towards Barden Ridge! That's on a MTB, too. Knobby tyres, disc
brakes, low gearing and a rather heavy bike...

John Beaverstock wrote:
> "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I have a CatEye "Velo 1" computer on my mountain bike. Its the most
>>basic model that CatEye make, with just current speed, odo and max speed.
>>
>>A little while back I was going reasonably quick down a hill and hit 60
>>km/h for the first time (no easy feat on a mountain bike with knobby
>>tyres and low gearing - i had to get into an aero tuck!).
>>
>>Anyway, the speedo hit "60.0" and the last zero started flashing. Is
>>this indicating that it can't go any higher?
>>
>>- Daniel
>>

> On my computer, up to 29.9 kmh it registers 1/10 kmh. After 30 kmh it only
> gives .0 or .5, and after 60 kmh it registers only in whole numbers. I
> suspect this is what your computer is doing.
>
> - John

Thanks, that sounds like a rational explanation. I will have to go back
to that hill and try to get to 61 :)