Sunscreen

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by Acheno84, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Acheno84

Acheno84 Member

Is there a specific type of sunscreen of skin protector that you wear while biking? I'm Irish and Scottish so I tend to burn very easily. I can't be out in the sun for too long without burning. I've tried various types of sunblock but they are either too greasy, don't work, or cause running when I sweat. I'm scared to death to get skin diseases or cancer as it's pretty common in my family, but want to be able to enjoy extended rides and not have to worry as much.

What works for you?

Tags:

2. Veater

Veater New Member

If you burn easily and have skin diseases in the family, it's really really advisable to have a sunscreen with very high SPF factor, such as children's sunscreen (SPF 50+). I don't burn at all, I'm very lucky, but I do have a lot of moles and anxiety about skin cancer too, so I tend to have an SPF 30 sunscreen. Usually it doesn't seem to matter which brand I choose, so generally I choose something that is branded but relatively cheap - I wouldn't buy one from a brand I didn't recognise as it's such an important product, you need to know it's tested. But from year to year, I use different sunscreens. Sorry I can't give any further recommendations, I would just keep buying and trying until I found one that worked. Or perhaps you could talk to your GP about it?

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I am from the brown race but I also get easily burned because the sun here is so hot during summer. What I use is the sun block lotion that we use for swimming. But I have to apply thinly for the white gel is not a good sight when you are not in the beach or swimming pool. I guess all sunscreen lotions do their purpose to block the harmful rays of the sun although it would also depend on the quality sometimes. Like what @Veater said, try and try until you find one that would work for you.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

I use the Aveeno Sunscreen for sensitive skin whenever I'm biking. My son also uses this whenever we go swimming. It's a very lightweight sunscreen and my skin doesn't get oily at all while using it. It gets absorbed very easily as well and it doesn't have as much whitest in pictures.

The downside is that it has pretty low SPF factor, just 30. I don't mind though since I'm not out in the sun during the harsh times of the day. I just use it if ever I do go out from 10 am to 3 pm. But with other times, I don't use sunblock at all.

Another one I've tried is the sunscreen from my dermatologist. It's in this white container and it's SPF 50. It's very lightweight as well but it's pricey. For a small container, it costs as much as $20 already. But I love using it if it's extremely hot outside since it blends well with my makeup.

5. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Sunscreen is definitely a must especially if you go out riding after 9AM or before 3PM. The long trek you will take would do enormous damage on your skin, especially in the long run, which could lead to stressful and often serious conditions, such as skin cancer. Definitely use sunscreen especially if you are in an area that is known for heatwaves or tremendous heat, as it would be your main protection against the sun. Too much of a good thing can lead to terrifying results.

6. cycle93

cycle93 Member

First of all look for sunscream that is for sensitive skin only. If you have problems with your skin or have very very light skin as you mentioned.

There are several types out there, from budget rices to expensive, paraben free natural, water- resistant ones. Try a few one just to make sure what is good for your skin type.

7. lisasian86

lisasian86 New Member

I'm very fair too and burn very easily, I use all sorts of sunblock but if you want one that doesn't run or make you all slippery you could try a high factor oil based sun block, they go on greasy but they soak into the skin and leave your skin dry so you don't sweat them off.

8. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

I hate sunscreen, but I spend a lot of time in the damned sun.
    So I just buy very light long sleeved shirts and long pants.
    It keeps the sun off me and I don;t have to worry about reapplying sunblock every darn hour.

9. joahnna mae ma-amo bello

When looking for the best sunscreen for you the most important detail that you should take into consideration is the SPF number that is located on the front part of the lotion. That would indicate how strong you sunscreen is in protecting you from harmful UV rays.