Television Coverage of Cycling--Where can I find it?

Dead Star said:
oh yeah, the giro usually has live streaming coverage of all the stages on its website in may. Not sure if it'll be there again this year, but it was in 2004 and 2005, so keep a look out for that.
The Vuelta Espana hat live video streaming in 2005 of the Vuelta on their website. Vuelta is end of August - mid September http://www.lavuelta.com

At http://www.cyclingheroes.info you can watch the six days of Rotterdam (untill January 10). We have links too several live video streams during the season. For a lot of races without live video streams we produce live text coverage in German and English.

Just to make all of the American readers feel better; Today at 14:15GMT EuroSport will be showing a one hour programme which looks over the 2005 cycling season and with a look to 2006. It will be presented by David Duffield. Should be good.... (http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l2/s10000/tvschedule_lng2_spo10000_gnd1_prs0_ven3.shtml)

….those of you in the
US you will have to watch some bloke dressed in a clown suit jump over 15 buses on a motorcycle whilst carrying two pints of beer and lighting a cigarette at the same time on FOX SPORTS....

cyclingheroes said:
The Vuelta Espana hat live video streaming in 2005 of the Vuelta on their website. Vuelta is end of August - mid September http://www.lavuelta.com

At http://www.cyclingheroes.info you can watch the six days of Rotterdam (untill January 10). We have links too several live video streams during the season. For a lot of races without live video streams we produce live text coverage in German and English.

whiteboytrash said:
….those of you in the US you will have to watch some bloke dressed in a clown suit jump over 15 buses on a motorcycle whilst carrying two pints of beer and lighting a cigarette at the same time on FOX SPORTS....
Hahahaaa...
Legendary comment.
BTW, that show you're talking about was only on the British Eurosport and it was about women's Tour.
You really don't like Americans, do you?

Andrija said:
Hahahaaa...
Legendary comment.
BTW, that show you're talking about was only on the British Eurosport and it was about women's Tour.
You really don't like Americans, do you?
I like teasing them because they are so fun and playful.....

The programme was bad. It wasn't about womens cycling as the website suggested. If you have SkyTV the description online was for the men's season. Anyway it was bad. David said Lance was the number one cyclist of the year.... they showed the Tour for 57 minutes then the rest of the season for 2.5 minutes..... not so good....

KennyCartman said:
Anyone knows where can i see Tour Down Under live?
I know that it won't be on OLN unless one of the riders is barbecuing while riding.

I see that Sky Sports will show highlights. I can remember being stationed in Europe and being able to receive Sky Sports. I also remember wondering why anyone would watch some of the shows they aired, like snipe hunting and winter-rules chess. Now I miss it.

I can't say I'll miss OLN much. There were so many ads and so much "Lance goes for five, goes for six, goes for seven" that it was almost unwatchable. Especailly last year. There was an ad break almost every ten minutes during Paris-Roubaix. I like Phil and Paul (though Paul gets tiresome, Phil is quirky and fun). I can sort of deal with Bobke but Trautwig is pathologically idiotic.

The main problem is that the coverage assumed that the average viewer didn't know the difference between a bicycle and a stick in the mud. The sort of fans that spend a week preparing to watch Flanders, like me, don't need Frankie Andreu explaining to me how modern bikes have more than one gear.

Getting tapes from Euro friends is much better viewing.

Herewith may lay the problem... American sports are made for TV sports... where else in the world does a sporting event stop for a 'TV timeout' ? Maybe that’s the problem with cycling ? There is no logical stoppage points for commercial breaks to be taken ?

Question: Do they show the Tour of Georgia and Tour of California in the
US ? How do they present these if they do ?

tcklyde said:
I can't say I'll miss OLN much. There were so many ads and so much "Lance goes for five, goes for six, goes for seven" that it was almost unwatchable. Especailly last year. There was an ad break almost every ten minutes during Paris-Roubaix. I like Phil and Paul (though Paul gets tiresome, Phil is quirky and fun). I can sort of deal with Bobke but Trautwig is pathologically idiotic.

whiteboytrash said:
Herewith may lay the problem... American sports are made for TV sports... where else in the world does a sporting event stop for a 'TV timeout' ? Maybe that’s the problem with cycling ? There is no logical stoppage points for commercial breaks to be taken ?

Question: Do they show the Tour of Georgia and Tour of California in the
US ? How do they present these if they do ?
I could say this thread was getting funnier and funnier... well it is... but I am really crying as I read because the joke is on me... living in the States and being willing to go to almost any lengths to see cycling, and having so few options. As you say, WTB, the knife cuts deep.

TDG had coverage the past two years on OLN on their one hour sunday summary of the week in cycling. It ran weeks after the race was over which is pretty fresh. I actually went to Georgia for the final weekend as a birthday present from my wife. Not bad at all. I walked up that crazy steep climb of Brasstown Bald and was 800m from the finish on a pitch of about 25% when Danielson and Levi came by, followed by Landis with Lance sitting on his wheel. That thing was so steep, it was amazing to see non-climbers from phonak, gerolsteiner, credit agricole, saunier duval, disco, and a slew of north american continental teams barely able to keep the cranks turning.

What was hilarious but predictable was that at the starts and finishes, you could access anyone you wanted... except for Lance. I stood at the window of the car and chatted with Johan before that last stage about what they were going to do to keep Danielson in yellow, met guys from all of the other teams, while 99% of the people there were fighting for a peek at Lance. I wonder if that race will get any love this year despite the fact that now LS and Vino have committed to it so the field is even better than last year.

Cycling coverage in the US post Lance will remain an interesting and painful topic, I fear, for years to come. What I really fear is what will happen in a few years when Lance really is forgotten. Will I get anything at all once the memory of that has faded????

Well done for getting out on the mountain and watching a stage... was it really a present for your wife ? :)

Maybe L'Equipe could start LEQUIPE-USA-TV and show cycling in the US ? :rolleyes:

That’s one thing I don't like about the Tour... you can never see, speak or touch the riders at starts and finishes... they are in locked off areas with really big Van Damme types marshalling the entrances... sounds like the TDG is more personal... should be a good show this year.... I wonder if EuroSport will show it this year ? EuroSport a having a re-launch of its website and programming on the 7th of February so it might get a mention..... I'm surprised for a US race they don't have a US network on board to at least show 1 hour highlights nightly..... from memory the TDG was almost defunct until Lance got bored and showed up in 2004.......

barnstorm said:
I could say this thread was getting funnier and funnier... well it is... but I am really crying as I read because the joke is on me... living in the States and being willing to go to almost any lengths to see cycling, and having so few options. As you say, WTB, the knife cuts deep.

TDG had coverage the past two years on OLN on their one hour sunday summary of the week in cycling. It ran weeks after the race was over which is pretty fresh. I actually went to Georgia for the final weekend as a birthday present from my wife. Not bad at all. I walked up that crazy steep climb of Brasstown Bald and was 800m from the finish on a pitch of about 25% when Danielson and Levi came by, followed by Landis with Lance sitting on his wheel. That thing was so steep, it was amazing to see non-climbers from phonak, gerolsteiner, credit agricole, saunier duval, disco, and a slew of north american continental teams barely able to keep the cranks turning.

What was hilarious but predictable was that at the starts and finishes, you could access anyone you wanted... except for Lance. I stood at the window of the car and chatted with Johan before that last stage about what they were going to do to keep Danielson in yellow, met guys from all of the other teams, while 99% of the people there were fighting for a peek at Lance. I wonder if that race will get any love this year despite the fact that now LS and Vino have committed to it so the field is even better than last year.

Cycling coverage in the US post Lance will remain an interesting and painful topic, I fear, for years to come. What I really fear is what will happen in a few years when Lance really is forgotten. Will I get anything at all once the memory of that has faded????

whiteboytrash said:
Well done for getting out on the mountain and watching a stage... was it really a present for your wife ? :)

Maybe L'Equipe could start LEQUIPE-USA-TV and show cycling in the US ? :rolleyes:

That’s one thing I don't like about the Tour... you can never see, speak or touch the riders at starts and finishes... they are in locked off areas with really big Van Damme types marshalling the entrances... sounds like the TDG is more personal... should be a good show this year.... I wonder if EuroSport will show it this year ? EuroSport a having a re-launch of its website and programming on the 7th of February so it might get a mention..... I'm surprised for a US race they don't have a US network on board to at least show 1 hour highlights nightly..... from memory the TDG was almost defunct until Lance got bored and showed up in 2004.......
TDG was a remotely interesting continental race won by Chris Horner, a great rider who at the time had lost favor in europe and was stuck on Webcor Builders which was a team of weekend warriers who had day jobs. Lance decided he missed his kids and that made a huge difference for the race. I totally understand the hot cold debate about Lance on so many issues but here his impact was huge. It's a great US stage race with half of the teams from Europe. I have my race program hanging right in my workspace with autographs that I got from Bobby Julich, Christian Vandevelde, Jose Azvedo, Johan, and others. Very cool. It was a present FROM, not FOR my wife. Good wife.

Hi, cycling-on-TV fans. By the way, I wouldn't mind watching snipe hunting once in a while.

Catch me up -- is OLN not carrying the TDF in 2006 or what? Has no one picked it up for North America? Or is, in fact, OLN carrying it again?

I have Dish Network and they got into a contract dispute with OLN and dropped it. I've been waiting to see if that gets worked out before, say, June, so I can be ready for July. One contingency plan is to subscribe to DirecTV so I can get OLN.

I found this thread when I was googling to see if there's any live coverage of the Tour Down Under.

If no one is carrying the big races in North America, I would think the European companies that carry them there should, at least, do some webcasting (preferably free -- commercials are okay with me) so we can bypass the satellite TV companies and programmers if we have to.

Anyone know anything about the statatus of Giro, especially TDF, and Vuelta being carried live by anyone in North America this year?

KennyCartman said:
Anyone knows where can i see Tour Down Under live?

Hah good luck, we dont even get it live in Australia. Channel 10 here got the rights and as usual are doing a crapy job of it. Highlights are being shown at 1130-1230 at night (plus channel 10 are netorious for being flexable with there timing, usually you need to recored an hour before and a hour after to be in with a 90% chance of getting your program)

We are getting the last stage, or at least the majority of it, live; if last year is anything to go by 50% will be advertising. :mad:

Best be is to wait till cycling.tv has it on there website.

jcjordan said:
Hah good luck, we dont even get it live in Australia. Channel 10 here got the rights and as usual are doing a crapy job of it. Highlights are being shown at 1130-1230 at night (plus channel 10 are netorious for being flexable with there timing, usually you need to recored an hour before and a hour after to be in with a 90% chance of getting your program)

We are getting the last stage, or at least the majority of it, live; if last year is anything to go by 50% will be advertising. :mad:

Best be is to wait till cycling.tv has it on there website.
http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/2006/index.php?id=stages

They say live here!

But where?

Okay, interesting, so we're not the only ones whose media don't have this figured out right yet. Someday...I hope and expect...they will.

RichBoyd,

That's what this thread is about, trying to find a place where we could watch. I mainly interested in helping those of us in North America, but if anyone has ideas that will help anyone else, good luck.
I read somewhere that OLN says they will carry TdF. How much?
As far as the rest(classics, Giro, etc), I'd be happy if they, at least, do their one hour every Sunday. But I don't have a lot of faith in OLN, so I'm looking elsewhere.
As others have pointed out here, US doesn't have a big cycling audience, so sponsors are hard to find.
Good luck to all of us.

RichBoyd said:
Hi, cycling-on-TV fans. By the way, I wouldn't mind watching snipe hunting once in a while.

Catch me up -- is OLN not carrying the TDF in 2006 or what? Has no one picked it up for North America? Or is, in fact, OLN carrying it again?

I have Dish Network and they got into a contract dispute with OLN and dropped it. I've been waiting to see if that gets worked out before, say, June, so I can be ready for July. One contingency plan is to subscribe to DirecTV so I can get OLN.

I found this thread when I was googling to see if there's any live coverage of the Tour Down Under.

If no one is carrying the big races in North America, I would think the European companies that carry them there should, at least, do some webcasting (preferably free -- commercials are okay with me) so we can bypass the satellite TV companies and programmers if we have to.

Anyone know anything about the statatus of Giro, especially TDF, and Vuelta being carried live by anyone in North America this year?
See some reply`s before yours: Vuelta and Giro are broadcasted on web tv.