The beginning of ANOTHER helmet thread

http://www.supernews.com wrote:

>All I was pointing out was that having a helemt on might allow a 15mph impact to transmit to the
>head the same amount of impact as an unhelmeted 5 mph impact,

Or, it might not. And other bodily injuries are just as life-threatening as a head injury. So what
justifies the cost of a $200 foam hat that is advertised as "more hole than helmet?" Like I've said,
it's mostly fashion and hype. The protection, if any, is minimal.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace My nose feels like a bad Ronald
Reagan movie ...

I look at it this way ..... you know what your head is worth so if it is not worth a whole lot to
you ... then don't wear a helmet .... I kinda like my head so I guess I will wear one.... Lynn
Lovell "**** Durbin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Has anybody noticed that fewer people than ever seem to be riding with helmets this year?
>
> I certainly haven't noticed that here in Tallahassee where it is hottern' a two-dollar pistol. It
> has gotten to the point where I am surprised to see a rider without a helmet.
>
> **** Durbin

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:38:54 GMT, "Lynn Lovell" <[email protected]> from AT&T
Worldnet wrote:

>I look at it this way ..... you know what your head is worth so if it is not worth a whole lot to
>you ... then don't wear a helmet .... I kinda like my head so I guess I will wear one....

That is so stupid. Thanks for sharing.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I have read the INSTRUCTIONS ...
12:53:29 AM 24 July 2003

I Wrecked on my bike when a car pulled in front of me while I was going in excess of 20 mph. I
launched over the handlebars and slammed headfirst into the concrete on the far side of the car
while my bike remained on the near side. I suffered a sever concussion. I was told by the doctor "if
you had not been wearing a helmet you would not be here right now." Thats enough for
me. You cannot control accidents, but you can do everything possible to protect yourself in the
event of one. As far as I'm concerned helmets save lives, at least one saved mine, well worth my
$159.00 helmet. Chris "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:36:54 -0400, archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com>
from
> Posted via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com wrote:
>
> >All I was pointing out was that having a helemt on might allow a 15mph impact to transmit to the
> >head the same amount of impact as an unhelmeted 5 mph impact,
>
> Or, it might not. And other bodily injuries are just as life-threatening
as a
> head injury. So what justifies the cost of a $200 foam hat that is
advertised as
> "more hole than helmet?" Like I've said, it's mostly fashion and hype. The protection, if any, is
> minimal.
>

> --
> http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace My nose feels like a bad Ronald Reagan
> movie ...
> 3:55:25 PM 23 July 2003

http://www.supernews.com wrote:

>I was told by the doctor "if you had not been wearing a helmet you would not be here right now."
>Thats enough for
>me. You cannot control accidents, but you can do everything possible to protect yourself in the
> event of one. As far as I'm concerned helmets save lives, at least one saved mine, well worth
> my $159.00 helmet.

The doctor's comment is just supposition. In fact, if you hadn't of had a helmet on, you might have
tucked and rolled, not hitting your head at all. I'm not too impressed with the off-the-cuff
comments of doctors, because I know plenty of them who have trouble tying their shoes. Further, I'll
wager you _don't_ do everything possible to protect yourself in the event of an accident. Do you
wear BMX-type body padding, knee pads, etc? Do you wear a full helmet that also covers your face?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace or were you driving the PONTIAC that HONKED
at me in MIAMI last Tuesday?

"NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anybody noticed that fewer people than ever seem to be riding
with
> helmets this year?
>
> Have our heads gotten harder, have we all gotten stupider, or is it
that,
> with all that's going on in the world, we just don't care as much
anymore?

What business is it of yours?

I always wear a helmet, and I check to make sure that the fit is correct before I ride. I have also
replaced helmets that I have crashed just to be safe. I am a huge helmet supporter. That said, the
fact that the doctor said that you would be dead if you were not wearing your helmet in the crash is
only his opinion. Unless he did a complete crash analysis he had no way of knowing what your
injuries would have been without a helmet.

A few years ago my wife a had a bad fall while skate boarding. I brought her to the emergency room
and after the initial treatment the doctor came out to give me the speech about helmet safety. He
told me that if she was wearing a helmet that she would have received much more superficial
injuries, and would not have required hospitalization. He went on to explain in detail lots of
things about the injuries that he treats of bike riders/roller bladers/skate boarders who were not
wearing helmets. He claimed that the minute that he looked at the type and severity of the injuries
he could tell if they were wearing a helmet or not. When he finally stopped I told him that she was
wearing a helmet, and that it fit correctly. He then went on to explain that she would have been
dead without
it.

"dorn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I Wrecked on my bike when a car pulled in front of me while I was going in excess of 20 mph. I
> launched over the handlebars and slammed headfirst
into
> the concrete on the far side of the car while my bike remained on the near side. I suffered a
> sever concussion. I was told by the doctor "if you had not been wearing a helmet you would not be
> here right now." Thats enough
for
> me. You cannot control accidents, but you can do everything possible to protect yourself in the
> event of one. As far as I'm concerned helmets save lives, at least one saved mine, well worth
> my $159.00 helmet. Chris "Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:36:54 -0400, archer
<ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com>
> from
> > Posted via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com wrote:
> >
> > >All I was pointing out was that having a helemt on might allow a 15mph impact to transmit to
> > >the head the same amount of impact as an
unhelmeted
> > >5 mph impact,
> >
> > Or, it might not. And other bodily injuries are just as life-threatening
> as a
> > head injury. So what justifies the cost of a $200 foam hat that is
> advertised as
> > "more hole than helmet?" Like I've said, it's mostly fashion and hype.
The
> > protection, if any, is minimal.
> >

> > --
> > http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace My nose feels like a bad Ronald Reagan
> > movie ...
> > 3:55:25 PM 23 July 2003

Hate these threads. I'll add my .02 and mark it "ignore."

Helmets "may" protect your head, even if supported only by anecdotal evidence. Logically, not
wearing one offers no additional protection. I can live with the anecdotal protection.

Arguing with the anti-helmet zealots is like beating your unhelmeted head against the wall.

(Where's the old troll that used to live here that wouldn't let his kids wear helmets as injuries
built character?)

Wayne www.adkbikes.com