The Official Tour De France discussion thread.

kjnangre said:
The rookie classification is open to riders born after Jan 1, 1979. So you have to be younger than 25 years, 6 months, 3 days at the start of the tour.

Explanation seems to hold water-Basso would have missed eligiblity by 5 weeks in 2003 if 1/1/78 was in effect for 2003.

Thanx

Note:

Lance had said that although the TT up Alpe Duez is crucial, he believes
that the stages that lead up to this stage may well decide the outcome
of the tour. It seems quite prophetic.

Remember that TT a few weeks ago up mount (don't remember name)
when Mayo beat Lance by 2 minutes? Guess why.. :)
Mayo can barely finish the tour, let alone be in contention to win. I mean
even Hincapie is doing better than Mayo.

My opinion:
Lance has been riding his pace. You all know your pace what you feel you can ride and still come home and change the oil in the car and clen the house, so to speak.
He will open up on Stage 16 the TT and kick butt (My Opinion) and put the nail in the coffin. Stage 15 in the Alps will set the stage for his masacre of his opponents as they attempt to make a final stand against the Blue Mailmen.By the final TT Lance will have a 2 min lead over his nearest rival and 6 mins over the so called original contenders, if any are left. It is too late to plan strategy now. The writing is on the wall.

Of course this is just my opinion and I could be full of ****. I thought I was wrong once before but I was mistaken. Go figure! On another note Voeckler is an animal the guy is ready to puke and is still going.Out gunned and outclassed in the climbs he shows a lot of heart and class. You know for a FRENCHIE!

Jan did well...but not good enough. Oh well. He has two more days to really haul ass, otherwise he's lost...which seems to be probable.

Rudy said:
Turn out the lights, the party's over :)

Lance onto 6th TDF!!! :) :D

Yes as you see from my previous post I was pretty close to right on. I have a very keen sense for the obvious.

jhuskey said:
Yes as you see from my previous post I was pretty close to right on. I have a very keen sense for the obvious.

Yes!, I see :D :D

Master of the obvious with a keen sense :)

keydates said:
Jan did well...but not good enough. Oh well. He has two more days to really haul ass, otherwise he's lost...which seems to be probable.
i think Jan could pull off a 3rd if he rides like today everyday...
but man he is one ugly mofo

izzodesh said:
i think Jan could pull off a 3rd if he rides like today everyday...
but man he is one ugly mofo
If Jan and Andréas work together and attack Ivan Basso they might just make it to the podium and secure for themselves a third and second place finish. This is the only way I see Ulrich making it to the podium.

The race is now for 2nd and 3rd place as 1st place has already been decided.

David_Zen said:
If Jan and Andréas work together and attack Ivan Basso they might just make it to the podium and secure for themselves a third and second place finish. This is the only way I see Ulrich making it to the podium.

The race is now for 2nd and 3rd place as 1st place has already been decided.
Just wondering if Jan can make time on Basso in the last two days in the Alps, enough to overcome him in the final TT which is quite long. Jan has a reputation of finishing very strong. What is Basso's results in other long TT (55 Km)? I would like to see Jan podium in second place. As a professional cyclist Jan is a fighter and won't go down easily. The battle for second will be the battle to watch in these final few days.

su22 said:
im quite new to cycling and TDF, but im puzzled as to why spectators dress up as devils. what's that got to do with cycling?
well, it's quite obvious as far as i'm concerned... the guy is trying to make a point about how hard the whole deal is, maybe as close as going through hell ?!... hmmm...

KGnagey said:
Just wondering if Jan can make time on Basso in the last two days in the Alps, enough to overcome him in the final TT which is quite long. Jan has a reputation of finishing very strong. What is Basso's results in other long TT (55 Km)? I would like to see Jan podium in second place. As a professional cyclist Jan is a fighter and won't go down easily. The battle for second will be the battle to watch in these final few days.
From what I understand, Basso is not much of an ITT rider, and we all know Ulrich can be exceptionally good in those, so I fully expect Ulrich to gain some serious time on such a long ITT. I don't know about Kloden. Unfortunately for JU and Kloden, they are still too close to Lance for USPS to let them go out on their own too far without reeling them in, and CSC would definitely help USPS at that point to protect Basso's podium position, and I'm not sure that JU would get the support by team management to attack on his own at the expense of Klodens' podium spot.

It's just a hunch, but I think that the stage today will feature breaks by guys like Virenque who are out of contention, but the major players will be fairly closely watched, which will leave the ITT to determine which of the three contenders will share the podium with Lance. Assuming, of course, that there isn't some sort of huge disaster....

Does anyone know what gearing was being used up the Alpe yesterday? The comentators kept refering to crank lengths, bike weights etc, is it published anywhere?

gavinb said:
Does anyone know what gearing was being used up the Alpe yesterday? The comentators kept refering to crank lengths, bike weights etc, is it published anywhere?
lance and landis really closed the gap today...
sasestre almostr got away....but that was amazing when lance got to the summit..

I actually like Bob Roll! He makes fun of the french by saying it his way.

I don't think OLN should get rid of him. In fact, one thing OLN did well was to get rid of that blondie Kirsten or Krystin (don't remember her name now) they had in the past hosting with Bob. Now, she was pretty annoying....I guess, OLN got a lot of p.o viewers complaining about her lack of cycling knowledge.

Weisse Luft said:
Screw it. Let Bob Roll pronounce it as he wants. If the rules can be changed to disfavor the TTT, Bob is in his right to butcher "de". If they want it pronounced correctly, spell it correctly. Tour da France.

Oh well, next year it will be on Discovery Channel anyhow and OLN will let him go. Ligget and Sherwin will be picked up but Gum and Roll are goners.

mareblu said:
I actually like Bob Roll! He makes fun of the french by saying it his way.

I don't think OLN should get rid of him. In fact, one thing OLN did well was to get rid of that blondie Kirsten or Krystin (don't remember her name now) they had in the past hosting with Bob. Now, she was pretty annoying....I guess, OLN got a lot of p.o viewers complaining about her lack of cycling knowledge.

Regardless, we beat the Frnech again :)

Question:
What does it mean, ie, what is the rule when they say a rider is "dropped" from the peloton?