The Physics of My Chocolate Milk

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tank, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Tank

    Tank Guest

    One of life's great joys is chocolate milk. I thought I
    would never enjoy it again, what with the whole sugar
    restriction thing as a result of the surgery. Then I
    discovered sugar-free NesQuik. Life is good again. The stuff
    is amazing.

    But, since I like my chocolate milk reeeaaalllyy cold, I
    often mix a glass, drink a bit, and park the glass in the
    fridge next to the special little cold-air vent for a while,
    to get it even extra-more-colder.

    While in the fridge, a most interesting effect manifests
    itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates. Not too terribly
    unexpected, but it separates in a very strange fashion. As
    one might surmise, there is a very dark band of chocolate at
    the bottom of the glass, and then the much lighter, but
    still essentially chocolate-brown
    milk. What is puzzling is a *third* layer, at the very top
    of the glass. A narrow band, almost as dark as the
    bottom layer, but very thin in depth. The bottom band
    is very thick, depth-wise, but the top layer is about
    1/4 of the thickness of the bottom layer.

    ----------------
    Here is the ingredient list:

    Cocoa processed with alkalai, Reduced Minerals, Whey,
    Maltodextrin, Soy Lecithin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt,
    Aspartame (non-nutritive sweetener), Acesulfame Potassium
    (non-nutritive sweetener), Artificial and Natural Flavors.

    Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid,
    (Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochlorate (Vitamin
    B6), Copper Gluconate, Manganese Sulfate, Biotin.

    Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine
    ----------------

    It's not like it is a problem or anything. I just give it a
    stir and it all goes back into a lovely, yummy chocolate
    solution. (Although I have been known *not* to re-mix it,
    just to get a huge choco-blast from the sludgy bottom band,
    but that's another story.) But, I can't help wondering: why
    does my chocolate milk separate in that fashion?

    --
    Tank

    This Space To Let.

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"ToiletTank" flushes:
    >
    >I discovered sugar-free NesQuik.
    >
    >But, since I like my chocolate milk reeeaaalllyy cold, I
    >often mix a glass, drink a bit, and park the glass in the
    >fridge next to the special little cold-air vent for a
    >while, to get it even extra-more-colder.
    >
    >While in the fridge, a most interesting effect manifests
    >itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates. Not too
    >terribly unexpected, but it separates in a very strange
    >fashion. As one might surmise, there is a very dark band of
    >chocolate at the bottom of the glass, and then the much
    >lighter, but still essentially chocolate-brown
    >milk. What is puzzling is a *third* layer, at the very top
    > of the glass. A narrow band, almost as dark as the
    > bottom layer, but very thin in depth. The bottom band
    > is very thick, depth-wise, but the top layer is about
    > 1/4 of the thickness of the bottom layer.

    Don't drink the top layer... shit floats. <G>

    Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

    ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =--- ---= Move
    UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
    *********
    "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    tribulation." Sheldon ````````````

  3. Dean G.

    Dean G. Guest

    "Tank" <alarm251@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > One of life's great joys is chocolate milk. I thought But,
    > since I like my chocolate milk reeeaaalllyy cold, I often
    > mix a glass, drink a bit, and park the glass in the fridge
    > next to the special little cold-air vent for a while, to
    > get it even extra-more-colder.

    Tank, Just a suggestion : keep a few thick glasses or mugs
    in the freezer. You could probably keep the mix (pre-milk)
    in there as well to keep things as cold as possible for as
    long as possible.

    Dean G.

  4. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "Tank" <alarm251@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > While in the fridge, a most interesting effect manifests
    > itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates. Not too
    > terribly unexpected, but it separates in a very strange
    > fashion. As one might surmise, there is a very dark band
    > of chocolate at the bottom of the glass, and then the much
    > lighter, but still essentially chocolate-brown
    > milk. What is puzzling is a *third* layer, at the very top
    > of the glass. A narrow band, almost as dark as the
    > bottom layer, but very thin in depth. The bottom
    > band is very thick, depth-wise, but the top layer is
    > about 1/4 of the thickness of the bottom layer.

    Just as a guess, I would say that it's oils separating out
    from the cocoa mix.

    Bob M.

  5. Denise~*

    Denise~* Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:30:23 -0400, "Tank" <alarm251@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >One of life's great joys is chocolate milk. I thought I
    >would never enjoy it again, what with the whole sugar
    >restriction thing as a result of the surgery. Then I
    >discovered sugar-free NesQuik. Life is good again. The
    >stuff is amazing.

    Didja know that they also make Swiss Miss with Splenda?

    Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail... A
    true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn...that was fun!"

  6. Denise~*

    wrote:

    >While in the fridge, a most interesting effect
    >manifests itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates.
    >Not too terribly unexpected, but it separates in a very
    >strange fashion.

    I'm not sure why you can't take a spoon to it & swirl it
    around after retreiving it.

    I have always found that Nesquick never really mixed well
    & will settle, so I always have a spoon in my glass for
    that purpose.

    The cold glass suggestion by Dean is also good.

    Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail... A
    true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
    "Damn...that was fun!"

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    wrote:

    >Here is the ingredient list:
    >
    >Cocoa processed with alkalai, Reduced Minerals, Whey,
    >Maltodextrin, Soy Lecithin, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt,
    >Aspartame (non-nutritive sweetener), Acesulfame Potassium
    >(non-nutritive sweetener), Artificial and Natural Flavors.
    >
    >Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid,
    >(Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochlorate (Vitamin
    >B6), Copper Gluconate, Manganese Sulfate, Biotin.
    >
    >Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine

    With an ingredient list like that, anything's possible. All
    the more reason to make your own from scratch, like I posted
    yesterday. Just milk, sweetener and cocoa (probably
    processed with alkali)

    -sw

  8. Focksfire

    Focksfire Guest

    Does the same happen with choc milk in the carton, or is
    this layering only with NesQuick?

    Just wondering :) Cheerz! Jane

    "PENMART01" <penmart01@aol.como> wrote in message news:20040624124757.23951.00000656@mb-
    m28.aol.com...
    > >"ToiletTank" flushes:
    > >
    > >I discovered sugar-free NesQuik.
    > >
    > >But, since I like my chocolate milk reeeaaalllyy cold, I
    > >often mix a glass, drink a bit, and park the glass in the
    > >fridge next to the special little cold-air vent for a
    > >while, to get it even extra-more-colder.
    > >
    > >While in the fridge, a most interesting effect manifests
    > >itself. The mixed chocolate milk separates. Not too
    > >terribly unexpected, but it separates in a very strange
    > >fashion. As one might surmise, there is a very dark band
    > >of chocolate at the bottom of the glass, and then the
    > >much lighter, but still essentially chocolate-brown
    > >milk. What is puzzling is a *third* layer, at the very
    > > top of the glass. A narrow band, almost as dark as
    > > the bottom layer, but very thin in depth. The
    > > bottom band is very thick, depth-wise, but the top
    > > layer is about 1/4 of the thickness of the bottom
    > > layer.
    >
    > Don't drink the top layer... shit floats. <G>
    >
    > Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
    >

    > ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =--- ---=
    > Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
    > *********
    > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without
    > tribulation." Sheldon ````````````

  9. Tank

    Tank Guest

    "PENMART01" <penmart01@aol.como> wrote in message

    > Don't drink the top layer... shit floats. <G>
    >
    > Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

    Well, damn Sheldon, how do I get to the good stuff on the
    bottom if I can't drink the stuff on top?

    --
    Tank

    This Space To Let.

  10. Tank

    Tank Guest

    "focksfire" <urquharj@hotmailtheobvious.com> wrote in message
    > Does the same happen with choc milk in the carton, or is
    > this layering
    only
    > with NesQuick?

    I have never noticed it with the milk in the carton. But it
    has been several years since I have been able to consume pre-
    made chocolate milk. I suspect not, however, as commercial
    products generally have things in them designed to prevent
    separations.

    --
    Tank

    This Space To Let.

  11. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <cbf7a3$2hf$2@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>,
    alarm251@hotmail.com says...

    > "PENMART01" <penmart01@aol.como> wrote in message news:20040624124757.23951.00000656@mb-
    > m28.aol.com...
    > >
    > > Don't drink the top layer... shit floats. <G>
    > >
    > > Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
    > >

    > Well, damn Sheldon, how do I get to the good stuff on the
    > bottom if I can't drink the stuff on top?
    >
    > --
    > Tank
    >
    > This Space To Let.

    use a straw?
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  12. Tank <alarm251@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >One of life's great joys is chocolate milk.

    Sounds like a great question for the 1-800 number on the
    can.

    --Blair "Ask them why a
    rabbit would like chocolate,
    while they're at it."

  13. PENMART01 <penmart01@aol.como> wrote:
    >Don't drink the top layer... shit floats. <G>

    Don't read any post with the word "PENMART01" in its
    headers.

    --Blair "Shit posts."

Share This Page