Tired Legs

ElectricCelt

Jul 5, 2009
I have been road cycling for over four years. This year I am doing my usual preparation for the coming seasons events. I hill walk most nights and I ride three times a week - a couple of 20 -30 km rides and then one over 60km - 100km. This year I appear to be doing it tough - my legs are constantly tired and they feel washed out. After about 30km they seem to get a bit better, but not what they were. I get my legs massaged about once every two weeks, but it does not seem to help

I would go to a sports doctor, but we do not have one near by and my normal doctor would just give me some drug or other.

Any ideas/img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

Cheers,

ElectricCelt
QLD
Australia

How's your diet? Enough carbs and protein? Are you leaving recovery time between rides?

Jason

Originally Posted by jpr95 .

How's your diet? Enough carbs and protein? Are you leaving recovery time between rides?

Jason
What do you think is good recovery time between rides? I had consecutive days of 20, 23, 35 last week. Played basketball the next day. Did 40 miles today. Recovery? What's that?!

Originally Posted by doctorold .

What do you think is good recovery time between rides? I had consecutive days of 20, 23, 35 last week. Played basketball the next day. Did 40 miles today. Recovery? What's that?!
You'd be surprised at what a day off will do. Try it, you might like it!

following Lemond's book advice in the 80's and 90's i gave myself Monday OFF. It was ok but i think that it is also ok to ride 7/7, specially if you are not racing, simply leave one day for active recovery, spinning your legs for 45 minutes or an hour for example.

ElectricCelt,

How hard do you ride and how many hours does it typically take you do a 100km ride?

Just wanted to get some idea of the intesity of the efforts you're putting in...

chill out for a couple of days, take it easy, or ride 4 days and hill walk on 3 alternate days, but not on the days you ride.

I raced for 25 years, did some weight training in the winter and spinning, but when I started training for competition cycling, I never did other training than cycling. If you plan to race and you get tired after 30 km, there is definitely something wrong.

REST,REST,REST, This has to be the best remidy that you can take. If you ride and walk as much as you do and you are exersizing to fatigue the body requires time to recover. So I you get off the bike and your legs are sore then DO NOT RIDE untill there is no sorness then get back on the bike and if the legs feel fatigued then only do a light ride. It is when the sornes goes is when the body has started to repair the muscle fibres that you have torn or worked to fatigue. Sometimes it can take up to a week for the muscle to repair itself.Do not panic you will NOT loose performace by giving your body time to recover you will get will get stronger. REST,REST,REST means 8 hours sleep per night,the body repairs itself only at night when you are asleep. Take good amounts of protein and carbohydrates this can be done through a good diet and no supliments, NO alcohole

I used to get tired legs like this, but i now sleep in compression socks every night, the Mrs dosent like it but my legs do!
Seems to work for me and im riding 6 days a week, i so have to agree with most of the people on here, a rest day is certainly an advantage.
Even though you havr the urge to get out on the bike, your benefit by staying off for a day.

Nick

On those days your walking just for exercise maybe you should ride super easy on a trainer or flat ground, I know this sounds counter intuitive but often the best thing after a workout is just easy spinning. If you stress your body it will adapt. Also maybe you don't have a purpose to your workout and as a result you go to hard to often. Just my 2c.

Unusual fatigue at effort that was previously relatively easy can be a sign of something significant. I would see a physician for a routine medical evaluation. Metabolic, cardiac and endocrine diseases could all present with fatigue out of proportion to what would be expected from over training.

Originally Posted by NLPayne13 .

I used to get tired legs like this, but i now sleep in compression socks every night, the Mrs dosent like it but my legs do!
Seems to work for me and im riding 6 days a week, i so have to agree with most of the people on here, a rest day is certainly an advantage.
Even though you havr the urge to get out on the bike, your benefit by staying off for a day.

Nick
If you are doing 7 days a week and if you also are on your feet alot after riding you will have tired legs.
The best thing I found for tired legs are as stated above compression stockings but not only to bed but also when riding and during the day especially if you are on your feet alot. Also as the saying goes: If you can sit don't stand if you can lay down don't sit. In other words get off your feet whenever you can.