Titanium?Carbon?Aluminum?STEEL?

kaikane

Jul 2, 2005
I met a guy on the bike yesterday who was a much fitter biker than i am (and he was about 20 years older!) and he inferred that titanium made for a much more comfortable ride over longer distances. even steel was better (though admittedly heavier) than carbon/aluminum, as it was not as rigid as the other two materials.
any thoughts on the subject.
BTW i ride an on old but servicable steel mountain bike with thinnner commuting tires. maybe he was just trying to make me feel better. :rolleyes:

30+ mi yesterday

kaikane said:
I met a guy on the bike yesterday who was a much fitter biker than i am (and he was about 20 years older!) and he inferred that titanium made for a much more comfortable ride over longer distances. even steel was better (though admittedly heavier) than carbon/aluminum, as it was not as rigid as the other two materials.
BTW i ride an on old but servicable steel mountain bike with thinnner commuting tires. maybe he was just trying to make me feel better. :rolleyes:

30+ mi yesterday
It's a common misconception that aluminum is stiff, light and harsh while steel is heavy and supple, and titanium offers the best of both worlds. The fact of the matter is that there far too many other factors that effect how a bike rides and feels. There are plenty of aluminum bikes that are supple and plenty of steel frames that are stiff. You need to try them out.

PeterF said:
It's a common misconception that aluminum is stiff, light and harsh while steel is heavy and supple, and titanium offers the best of both worlds. The fact of the matter is that there far too many other factors that effect how a bike rides and feels. There are plenty of aluminum bikes that are supple and plenty of steel frames that are stiff. You need to try them out.[/QUOTE

Ride quality from the frame material is only ONE factor, you need to take into consideration durability, use and cost. So called "Experts" will tell you: "Steel can rust, but is easily repairable... Aluminum is usually less expensive, and won't rust... Carbon and titanium are usually bigger bucks..." and so on, and on, and on, seemingly forever!

Like the man said, ride the bikes, and pick one that offers a balance of qualities you're looking for in your price range, and for god's sake, get a good fit. Choose a bike that's right for you and what you plan to do with it.

CDAKIAHONDA said:
Ride quality from the frame material is only ONE factor, you need to take into consideration durability, use and cost.
Yes. But it is true?

PeterF said:
The fact of the matter is that there far too many other factors that effect how a bike rides and feels.
What sre some of the most important factors?

PeterF said:
It's a common misconception that aluminum is stiff, light and harsh while steel is heavy and supple, and titanium offers the best of both worlds. The fact of the matter is that there far too many other factors that effect how a bike rides and feels. There are plenty of aluminum bikes that are supple and plenty of steel frames that are stiff. You need to try them out.
Old, old aluminum did have a crappy ride. New tuned aluminum sets ride very smooth. That being said i ride Ti and Steel. I am just old school.

kaikane said:
Start with your budget. If it's not unlimited you have to balance frame and components, if you put all your money into the frame, how happy are you going to be with what you have to spend on the groupset, the wheels etc... you may save a pound (maybe 2????) between a heavy steel and a light carbon frame for example, but then give that all away in heavier components and wheels with lower overall performance. Steel is very durable and repairable and if protected (inside and out) and can last a lifetime. Carbon, well we'll see, and it mostly depends on your riding, but I've heard about 5 years (okay post away on that one everyone). Carbon can sometimes be repaired depending on the damage, but when it fails, it's instant. Aluminum is like that too, but much less expensive to replace if you crash. Titanium needs to be repaired by specially certified welders I guess, and again is usually big bucks to replace as well. Are you racing? A fitness rider? Group club rider, you don't need a 16lb ultralight to commute to work. Pick a bike that is right for your type of riding.

Cost aside, aesthetics are important too, you gotta want to ride the thing. But individual riding style, your size and weight (frame stiffness) and most importantly fit, fit, fit.

Rideastrong said:
Old, old aluminum did have a crappy ride. New tuned aluminum sets ride very smooth. That being said i ride Ti and Steel. I am just old school.
Ah, HA! I knew I wasn't the only one!

kaikane said:

30+ mi yesterday
I'm not dissing any other frame or frame material, but FWIW I looked at all the top end frames and decided to go ti -- Merlin Extralight. I ride 14-20 hrs/wk, am relatively fit and do a lot of climbing. Comfort on long rides was definitely something I wanted. I love my bike. That's only a sample of one, but there you have it. Of course, it's not inconsequential that the frame builder is one of the best (if not the best) ti frame builder in the world and the frame was designed by Tom Kellogg.

[ it's not inconsequential that the frame builder is one of the best (if not the best) ti frame builder in the world and the frame was designed by Tom Kellogg.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I love my wife's custom steel Serotta (with carbon stays) CXII cs, and my carbon Cervelo R2.5, and aluminum P3sl, and a few other less notables in aluminum and steel. How many bikes do you need? My answer is:

N+1

N=the number you currently own. A formula I borrowed from a friend whose equally crazy.

CDAKIAHONDA said:
Yeah, I love my wife's custom steel Serotta (with carbon stays) CXII cs, and my carbon Cervelo R2.5, and aluminum P3sl, and a few other less notables in aluminum and steel. How many bikes do you need? My answer is:

N+1

N=the number you currently own. A formula I borrowed from a friend whose equally crazy.
Don't tell me that. I'm worried this hobby will turn expensive.

kaikane said:
Don't tell me that. I'm worried this hobby will turn expensive.
Better start puckering up. ;) I didn't think so either ... several bikes ago!

N = N + 1 :D

... and if I had a dollar for every time one of these threads popped up I could buy a new bike every few months. :rolleyes:

if you're worried about the expense, go with steel. it gives a good ride, and they last forever. i've been riding the same bike about 34 years. you can't get any more cost effective than that. if your budget is tight, put your money in a good frame and build it up with cheaper components, most of which will need to be replaced at some point anyway. upgrade bit by bit.

I pondered over this type of thing for ages before buying my new bike.

My old bike is steel and I had concerns over aluminum being harsh etc. I spent ages comparing what people said about aluv steel v carbon v ti etc etc.

I looked very closely at custom steel and ti frames.

In the end, I have ended up with an aluminium (scandium) and carbon seatstay frame. Beatiful hand built frame by casati.

Is it a harsh ride? Not that I can tell although it does feel "smoother" than my last bike. It is certainly not noticeably less comfortable. Not sure if the smoothness is down to frame material or newer components etc but I am glad I got it.

That said, the N+1 theory is always alive and kicking and although I have only had my new bike a couple of months, I am sure it will be added to in a couple of years time. That merlin extra light would be very nice......mmmm.

kaikane said:
There are different tube sets in aluminum and steel. A classic lugged steel frame with Columbus Cromor steel is going to be a much different ride than a tig welded Deda 16.5 EOM steel frame. Wall thickness, butting, the shape of the tubes etc, can change the performance. There are different aluminums as well. I have ridden aluminum bikes that are very damp rides and I've ridden some that will knock your fillings out. My currrent steel frame is as stiff as any aluminum frames that I've ridden Frame geometry can also make a difference. Carbon stays and a full carbon fork can also change the ride characteristics as well. That's why I suggest trying out a few bikes to see which one suits you.

Rideastrong said:
I have an '87 Cannondale frame (6000 series oversized aluminum), that I built up with some spare parts and took out for a spin one day. I rode 50 miles and I felt like I went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. You are right some of the original aluminum rides were awful. Stiff as hell and fast, but boy were they rough.