Too much dressing/stuffing

On Nov 23, 7:19 pm, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:42:57 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo(R)"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> You know, sometimes this butter thing gets over done. Butter is great
> >> and all that but if you're not used to a lot of butter, it can get too
> >> much too fast. Butter in the potatoes, a little in the gravy, and here
> >> there and everywhere, just adds up to too much butter. I like butter
> >> as well as the next guy, but I didn't want six people who normally eat
> >> very low-fat meals, getting stomach aches because of my dinner.

> >HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! You must have a demon.

> They don't really get stomach aches.... let's just say their digestive
> system is well greased. You get the picture.

"Greased." eh? This thread isn't going in the direction of buggery I
hope.

--Bryan

[email protected] writes:
>On Nov 23, 10:35 am, tert in seattle <[email protected]> wrote:
>> use a lot of butter-

>You know, sometimes this butter thing gets over done. Butter is great
>and all that but if you're not used to a lot of butter, it can get too
>much too fast. Butter in the potatoes, a little in the gravy, and here
>there and everywhere, just adds up to too much butter. I like butter
>as well as the next guy, but I didn't want six people who normally eat
>very low-fat meals, getting stomach aches because of my dinner.

butter hater

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:41:09 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo(R)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Nov 23, 7:19 pm, sf wrote:
>>
>> They don't really get stomach aches.... let's just say their digestive
>> system is well greased. You get the picture.
>>

>"Greased." eh? This thread isn't going in the direction of buggery I
>hope.

Buggery? It's reality. Think of natural elimination (only faster...
and looser).

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:33:40 -0500, "Janet" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> The procedure of stuffing or dressing a turkey, there's always extra
>> filling leftover that won't fit in the turkey. I guess that is one
>> good reason to get a big turkey, is so one has a large cavity to fill
>> with lots of delicious dressing.
>>
>> But, my turkey was only 10 lbs. and had a small little area to hold
>> dressing.
>>
>> I thought I had prepared a small amount of dressing to fit but I had
>> tons leftover. So, with the extra, I put it all in a casserole dish,
>> placed the turkey neck and a little turkey skin on top, and baked it
>> for about a half an hour. To serve, I thought to mix the dressing from
>> the casserole with the dressing from the cavity of the turkey, but
>> then decided against it because they were both so different.
>>
>> Any tricks for making dressing in a casserole to come out nicely?
>>
>> Karen

>A friend made a great wild rice dressing this Thanksgiving, which was not
>cooked in the bird so that it could be vegetarian. It came from a 2003 issue
>of Gourmet, and was delicious.
>
>IMHO, the problem with bread stuffings cooked outside the bird is that they
>usually seem to dry out or get too crispy around the edges or are generally
>bland or just not quite right in some indefinable way. So I've thought that
>perphaps it would work better to bake them in a bain marie. Basting them
>with some of the cooking juices helps also.

i like the dried out crispy part of the stuffing sticking out of the
turkey. it's the best part of the whole rigmarole.

your pal,
blake

"blake murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:33:40 -0500, "Janet" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Karen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> The procedure of stuffing or dressing a turkey, there's always extra
>>> filling leftover that won't fit in the turkey. I guess that is one
>>> good reason to get a big turkey, is so one has a large cavity to fill
>>> with lots of delicious dressing.
>>>
>>> But, my turkey was only 10 lbs. and had a small little area to hold
>>> dressing.
>>>
>>> I thought I had prepared a small amount of dressing to fit but I had
>>> tons leftover. So, with the extra, I put it all in a casserole dish,
>>> placed the turkey neck and a little turkey skin on top, and baked it
>>> for about a half an hour. To serve, I thought to mix the dressing from
>>> the casserole with the dressing from the cavity of the turkey, but
>>> then decided against it because they were both so different.
>>>
>>> Any tricks for making dressing in a casserole to come out nicely?
>>>
>>> Karen

>>A friend made a great wild rice dressing this Thanksgiving, which was not
>>cooked in the bird so that it could be vegetarian. It came from a 2003
>>issue
>>of Gourmet, and was delicious.
>>
>>IMHO, the problem with bread stuffings cooked outside the bird is that
>>they
>>usually seem to dry out or get too crispy around the edges or are
>>generally
>>bland or just not quite right in some indefinable way. So I've thought
>>that
>>perphaps it would work better to bake them in a bain marie. Basting them
>>with some of the cooking juices helps also.
>>

> i like the dried out crispy part of the stuffing sticking out of the
> turkey. it's the best part of the whole rigmarole.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I love that part too! But somehow when it results from baking in a loaf pan,
it doesn't have the same character.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:18:04 -0500, "Janet" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"blake murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:33:40 -0500, "Janet" <[email protected]>

>> i like the dried out crispy part of the stuffing sticking out of the
>> turkey. it's the best part of the whole rigmarole.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I love that part too! But somehow when it results from baking in a loaf pan,
>it doesn't have the same character.

I cook stuffing in the turkey, but if I have extra, I bake it and
douse it with some pan drippings as the turkey bastes.

Of course, that isn't too vegetarian, but it does give the pan baked
stuffing a bit more flavor.

Boron

Janet <[email protected]> wrote:

>"blake murphy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:33:40 -0500, "Janet" <[email protected]>

>>>IMHO, the problem with bread stuffings cooked outside the bird
>>>is that they usually seem to dry out or get too crispy around
>>>the edges or are generally bland or just not quite right in
>>>some indefinable way. So I've thought that perphaps it would
>>>work better to bake them in a bain marie. Basting them with
>>>some of the cooking juices helps also.

>> i like the dried out crispy part of the stuffing sticking out of the
>> turkey. it's the best part of the whole rigmarole.

> I love that part too! But somehow when it results from baking in a
> loaf pan, it doesn't have the same character.

I use a dutch oven (Le Cruset is ideal) rather than a loaf pan.

This Thanksgiving, I had no such item available and used a large
stainless-steel pot with a lid. No problem. Probably more difficult
to clean later on though.

I think if the stuffing includes sausage, or oysters, or both,
most folks will never miss the turkey flavor that might have come from
having it inside the bird.

Steve

In article
<09fa49f5-9850-44c0-a926-efdc23d00fd1@d27g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Karen <[email protected]> wrote:

> Any tricks for making dressing in a casserole to come out nicely?

Different strokes for different folks. I won't eat the stuff out of the
turkey. The other stuff I will eat.

Lots of butter and fairly fresh bread.

Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Karen <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Any tricks for making dressing in a casserole to come out nicely?

>Different strokes for different folks. I won't eat the stuff out of the
>turkey.

I potentially would eat it if I trusted the cook's antibacterial
technique.

>The other stuff I will eat.

>Lots of butter and fairly fresh bread.

I was pleased, this Wednesday, that guests who I know put gobs
of butter into/onto everything still thought my stuffing was
good ... and it only had olive oil in it for the fat element.

I agree fresh (not stale or otherwise unappetizing) bread is
essential.

Steve

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Steve Pope) wrote:

> Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Karen <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Any tricks for making dressing in a casserole to come out nicely?

> >Different strokes for different folks. I won't eat the stuff out of the
> >turkey.

> I potentially would eat it if I trusted the cook's antibacterial
> technique.
>
> >The other stuff I will eat.

> >Lots of butter and fairly fresh bread.

> I was pleased, this Wednesday, that guests who I know put gobs
> of butter into/onto everything still thought my stuffing was
> good ... and it only had olive oil in it for the fat element.

I would prefer olive oil. I am outvoted.

Karen wrote:

> The procedure of stuffing or dressing a turkey, there's always extra
> filling leftover that won't fit in the turkey. I guess that is one
> good reason to get a big turkey, is so one has a large cavity to fill
> with lots of delicious dressing.
>
> But, my turkey was only 10 lbs. and had a small little area to hold
> dressing.
>
> I thought I had prepared a small amount of dressing to fit but I had
> tons leftover. So, with the extra, I put it all in a casserole dish,
> placed the turkey neck and a little turkey skin on top, and baked it
> for about a half an hour. To serve, I thought to mix the dressing from
> the casserole with the dressing from the cavity of the turkey, but
> then decided against it because they were both so different.
>
> Any tricks for making dressing in a casserole to come out nicely?
>
> Karen

I just butter the dish and put the lid on and bake it.
I add a little extra broth to make it moister as it tends
to be dry compared to the stuff in the turkey.

I always get a 20-lb. turkey. This year it was a 22-lb.
bird. And I still had 2 large casseroles filled with the
extra stuffing!!!! I used 3 loaves of bread for the stuffing.
I like lots of stuffing. Obviously.

Kate

--
Kate Connally