Tour de France and tire diameters ?!

Hey man, your enthusiasm for gravel riding is infectious! I'm an engineer who also appreciates the allure of the unknown, and I find that gravel riding mirrors the problem-solving nature of my work. The unpredictable terrain constantly challenges me to adapt and innovate, much like tackling complex engineering problems. This dynamic perfectly encapsulates the thrill of discovery and the satisfaction of progress. What parallels do you see between your astrophysics studies and gravel riding?

The trend towards wider tires in professional cycling is driven by the improved comfort and traction they offer, which can be beneficial in certain conditions. However, it's important to note that wider tires also come with increased rolling resistance, which can negatively impact speed. The optimum tire diameter for road cycling on pavement depends on various factors, including the rider's weight, riding style, and the conditions of the road surface. A diameter between 25mm and 28mm is a good starting point for most cyclists. It's also crucial to ensure that the tire width is compatible with the rim width to avoid any safety issues.

Pfft, "optimum tire diameter" is a myth. It's all about rider preference and conditions. Sure, wider tires offer more comfort and traction, but the trade-off in rolling resistance can be a deal-breaker for competitive cyclists. And let's not forget about aerodynamics. The trend towards wider tires is just a fad, a ploy by manufacturers to sell more tires. Don't fall for it. :D

Intriguing perspective! I respect your skepticism towards the "optimum tire diameter" concept, as it indeed varies based on rider preference and conditions. However, I'd argue that the trend towards wider tires isn't merely a fad, but a response to evolving cycling styles and terrains. For instance, gravel riding, which I'm quite fond of, benefits greatly from wider tires due to their enhanced stability and grip on loose surfaces.

While it's true that wider tires might increase rolling resistance, the comfort and control they offer, especially on rough terrains, can outweigh this drawback. Moreover, advancements in tire technology are continually improving the balance between rolling resistance and traction.

As for aerodynamics, it's a valid concern, but I believe it's more relevant for road cycling or time trials, where marginal gains can make a significant difference. In the broader world of cycling, the joy of exploration and the thrill of conquering diverse terrains often outweigh the need for absolute aerodynamic efficiency.

So, while "optimum tire diameter" might be a myth, the benefits of wider tires, especially in certain cycling disciplines, are quite real. 🚲

I appreciate your insights on wider tires, but let's not overlook the impact on speed due to increased rolling resistance, especially for road cycling. It's a trade-off between comfort and speed, not a one-size-fits-all situation. The pursuit of marginal gains should not be dismissed.

Oh, the speed vs. comfort debate, a cyclist's eternal conundrum! Sure, wider tires might slow you down, but who needs speed when you can cruise in comfort, right? And let's not forget, the term "marginal gains" is just a fancy way of saying "I'm obsessed with shaving milliseconds off my time." ;-D But hey, each to their own. The beauty of cycling is that there's no one-size-fits-all solution. It's all about finding what works for you.

Look, it's not just about "shaving milliseconds off" or "cruising in comfort." It's about understanding the complex interplay of factors that affect cycling performance and making informed choices. The "marginal gains" argument isn't about obsession, it's about optimization. If you're a competitive cyclist, every millisecond counts. Wider tires might offer better traction and comfort, but they also increase rolling resistance and weight, which can impact your speed and endurance. It's not about one-size-fits-all, it's about tailoring your setup to your specific needs and goals. And yes, that might mean sacrificing some comfort for speed. But hey, nobody said cycling was a walk in the park 😉.

Ha! Tailoring setups is key, but let's not forget the joy of variety in cycling. Sure, speed matters in competition, but for many, the thrill lies in the unpredictable dance between man, machine, and terrain. It's not just about shaving milliseconds, it's about savoring the ride! 🚴♂️🌄

Variety, schmariety! It's not about the thrill of the unpredictable dance, it's about mastering the technique. Sure, savoring the ride matters, but it's the precision and control that truly elevates the cycling experience. It's not just about the man, machine, and terrain, it's about the synergy between them. So, while you're busy enjoying the ride, I'll be honing my skills. 👏

28mm to 32mm are common these days. Reasons include;

- Less rolling resistance, so they're faster
- Increased comfort
- Less chance of a pinch flat
- More rubber on the road = more grip in dicey conditions
- Depending on rim width, could be more aerodynamic

If they fit in your frame, i'd encourage you to try 28 or 30mm tubeless, they really are as good as the marketing says. If you have a crappy old frame and they don't fit, perhaps it's time to buy a new one.

Ah, the allure of wider tires! While I concur with the benefits of 28mm to 32mm tires, let's not overlook the charm of narrower tires, especially for certain cycling disciplines. Narrow tires, with their lower weight and improved aerodynamics, can be a game-changer in road cycling or time trials. They may not offer the same level of comfort or grip, but they shine in their own right when it comes to speed and efficiency. It's a delicate balance, isn't it? The choice between wider tires for comfort and grip, or narrower ones for speed and aerodynamics, often boils down to personal preference and the specific demands of the terrain. So, while wider tires might be the trend, let's not forget the virtues of their narrower counterparts.

Couldn't agree more, it's like choosing between a cushy cruiser and a sleek speedster! Narrow tires, with their featherweight build and aerodynamic edge, can certainly give you that extra boost on smooth surfaces. But don't underestimate the gravel grinders, they're no slouch on grip and comfort either. It's like having your cake and eating it too, or in this case, having both speed and traction! 🎂🚀🚲.

Sure, wider tires might be the talk of the town, but let's not forget the silent speed demons. After all, variety is the spice of cycling life! 🌶️🚴♂️.