Training Advice For 15 Years Old?

Akang

Mar 21, 2012
I need some advice on how to train. I ride fixed gear right now and I want to get faster and be able to ride longer distances. I only have a little bit of time however as my school schedule is very strict. I can bike maybe an hour a day, and more on the weekends. I was also thinking of joining the Cycling class at the local LA Fitness. Right now I can only do about 20 miles at a 16mph pace. I want to be able to do 20-30 mile rides at a 20+mph pace and more. I also want to be able to do a century within a year. It's not a big goal, I just want to reach that level where I am able to ride a century. So basically, what training method would be best for me to quickly build speed and endurance? I'm an incredibly perfectionist person about this kind of stuff so detailed advice would be great. I'm not too concerned with diet right now but I'll change it if I have too. I'm 5'8" and 135 pounds and I eat around 2500 calories a day. This is my bike right now: http://i.imgur.com/CZEqw.jpg I am getting drop bars for it soon, and I am also getting a Sugino Messenger crankset soon also. I just need a good cycling workout program that can fit into a tight schedule and that will quickly build sped and endurance. Advice? Thanks

Best thing for you to do would be to get a comfy pair of cycling shorts, shoes, cycling jersey and a helmet and go ride. If you don't have a lot of time ride hard for an hour. Find a route thats fun and challenging - start off at a pace that you know you can do the route at and the next time you go out go a little faster. As you progress find other routes that are interesting and use markers such as town signs as things to sprint for. If you go too hard and "die" out on the route then you know you went too hard but no biggie...

If you're going out for an hour all you really need to take is a pump and a spare tube/tire levers. If it's hot weather or you're going out for upto 2 hours then you need something to drink too. Don't worry too much about speed when you first start. Setup the bike so the saddle and bars are in about the right place for you and go ride and have fun.

The sugino crank is probably pretty nice but it really wont make you go any faster.

If you were fairly active at school then it won't take long for you to get into the swing of things and build endurance. If you can ride 4 or more times a week for at least an hour you'll progress fairly well. There's no reason to stop at a hour if you want to go out for 3 - just make sure you have enough food and drink to take with you.

I'm not sure if mashing that fixed gear up big hills would be too wise but hills that are not too steep wouldn't be a bad idea. It's generally recommended that at your age that you learn to pedal fairly quickly - around 90rpm or faster. You may need to adjust your gearing to achieve this.

Cool, I usually just go back and forth on a 2 mile bike path.
I do like 3 rides a week where I'm just going about 20 miles at a 15 mph pace and I do one 5 mile sprint a week.
And on the weekend I usually do a longer ride, like 30 miles or more.

Will I improve like this?