Training for Endurance Track

redbacks

Dec 3, 2006
Hi, I don't have fast twitch muscle fibres or have any kick whatsoever so if anyone could direct me for races such as points score and longer scratch e.g. 20km, 50km?

Learn to pick your moments in a race to get off the front. Counter attacking or attacking after a sprint is a good option. You still need to train your FTP as well as you Max Aerobic Power, Anaerobic and Alactic Systems for track. So plenty of road races and crits to provide a base for speed work. You may get dicked on a regular basis but try and do the odd sprint session if only to learn more about positioning and pacing. Arthur Lydiard used to do this with his Marathon trained runners.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

an "on the field" practice session could also be behind motorcycle: for instance, you can do (333 mt. velodrome): 6 laps after motorcycle, on the 7th you make a sprint passing the motorcycle; after the sprint you again join the drift. The motorcycle goes, regularly, at 43-45 km/h.

Glad to see you say go round the bike. Most people here sit in behind getting a nice high cadence but real low power. Funny thing is watching them yelling "up" to the moto. If you are that fast then come round like you are trying to do in a race!

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
Glad to see you say go round the bike. Most people here sit in behind getting a nice high cadence but real low power. Funny thing is watching them yelling "up" to the moto. If you are that fast then come round like you are trying to do in a race!

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach
Well I didn't invent anything, it was an advice of my old DS when I was living in north Italy :)