What are my options for adjusting stem height?

davesharp

Dec 25, 2009
I have tried searching for the information I need, unfortunately I'm not mechanically savvy and I know you guys are basically industry pro's by the looks of it, so I need your help with this.

My problem is that craning my neck forward to look up results in a stiff neck, and after long riding becomes quite sore and limits my cycling.

I am new to the sport, so I don't know much about mechanical changes to my bike, I have a Giant Defy 3 with Shimano Tiagra gears (if that helps haha :eek:).
giant_defy3.jpg

I've been told that to fix my neck issue I need to raise the height of my stem, I've had a play around and can't work out how to do it.

My questions are these:
- could stem height be a contributing factor in my neck soreness?
- will an adjustment to stem height require the purchase of a new stem (if so, how much will this cost for mid range stem)
- If I can adjust current stem, how do I do this?

Dave.

davesharp said:
I have tried searching for the information I need, unfortunately I'm not mechanically savvy and I know you guys are basically industry pro's by the looks of it, so I need your help with this.

My problem is that craning my neck forward to look up results in a stiff neck, and after long riding becomes quite sore and limits my cycling.

I am new to the sport, so I don't know much about mechanical changes to my bike, I have a Giant Defy 3 with Shimano Tiagra gears (if that helps haha :eek:).
giant_defy3.jpg

I've been told that to fix my neck issue I need to raise the height of my stem, I've had a play around and can't work out how to do it.

My questions are these:
- will an adjustment to stem height require the purchase of a new stem (if so, how much will this cost for mid range stem)

Dave.

-Could be but it could be other things as well.
-That stems looks like an adjustable one so a 5 or 6mm allen wrench in the bolt on the side of the stem, right in front of the fork steerer..and looks like you can raise is. Be advised the handlebar angle will rise as well.
-If it's NOT an adjustable stem, you may be able to flip it over for more rise and if it is already in the 'up' position, you may need a new stem. BUT if you go that route, get a bike fit, less trial and error.

Tilting the bars, if you haven't already done so is cheap, simple and could help in figuring out a comfortable position... see pic

i'm not as in depth or have as much experience as these other guys but are you riding in the hoods or drops (on top of the bar or down low)? seat hiegth good for you or could you lower it a few mm's?

davesharp said:
My questions are these:

Dave.

-It could; it's a good guess. It could also be that your bars are too far forward; reach is too long for you. If you can't touch your toes when you bend over, I'd suggest starting with the bars level with your seat and see how that feels. What is your current bar drop? (measured vertically from top of saddle to top of handle bar)

- If stem is adjustable you don't need to; just loosen the adjusting bolt and adjust the stem angle. If the stem is not adjustable, you can "flip it". Loosen cap bolt and stem bolts, remove cap, remove stem, flip stem, put cap back on, adjust headset with top cap bolt, tighten stem bolts, test ride.
Follow threadless headset instructions here:
Park Tool Website

- If flipping stem does not work: you need to find what the rise angle on your current stem is, then buy a new stem that has more angle (steeper). You can find stems that are up to 35 degrees-Torelli Bormio, Dimension, Ritchey are a few brands. ($30-$60). Most common angles are 6, 7 degrees but you can find 17, 25, 30, 35 degrees.... Keep in mind that as the bars come up, your reach is decreased.

Hope this helps....

rparedes +1

Only thing I can add is that your bike may have one or more spacers installed above the stem (immediately under the top cap); if so, when flipping the stem, you may want to move the spacers under the stem, which should gain you a few mm's of added height. When refitting the stem, be sure there is a gap such that the top edge of the stem is higher than the top of the fork steerer, as shown in the photo 3/4 of the way down the park tool page below:
Park Tool Website

Have someone take some photos of you on the bike post them,
Some things to consider as mentioned are rising the stem, or even a shorter stem will make you more upright and you won't be stretched out so much.
Do you fill like your stretching out to the hoods?
Really need pictures

Flipped the stem and it has fixed the problem completely. Thanks for the advice guys.