What do you do to deter bike thefts?How does bike thefts affects your cycling habits?

cyclingboom

Dec 3, 2012
Do you Think of a bulky chain? several chains? GPS trackers? taking you bike wherever your go? Uglifying the bike? Using your old bike to do errands?
what if there was no crime in your city? would you cycle more if you were not concerned about your bike security?

I cycle mostly for sport... so I don't chain the bike up at a bus or train station. Commuting would change things.

But to protect my road bike while I buy a coffee, or vitamin water, I use a small cable that stores in my saddle bag. Not that my bicycle is that nice or even new but I do like to keep it looking nice. I know the cheap cable lock won't protect the bicycle from a real bicycle thief. But it will stop most 14 year olds that aren't really thinking.

Around here, criminals are stupid and steal mostly worthless department store bikes. Most casual thieves would not be able to ride my bike anyway as I am pretty tall, have large frame bikes and have the seat quite high. I often leave my bike unlocked at the gym - other times I use a 6 foot cable and padlock.

We have indoor storage for bikes at my work which is really nice.

I don't leave my bike or lock it up anywhere. Even with multiple locks a krafty crook could make of with hundreds of dollars in goodies with about 60 seconds and an alllen key set and some cable cutters.

A light cable lock is helpful for short stops though and will deter most "grab and run" thieves.

Several years ago I was in some shady neighborhood, and in some liquor store that had bulletproof glass windows protecting the cashier. Some fella brought his bike in and propped it up against the wall. Being a hot summer night the door was open. Another fella just hopped on and rode it out the store while the owner was standing on line waiting to pay.

FWIW, one easy measure a you can take if leaving your bike out is to adjust the brakes when the bike is parked so that the pads are tight against the rim (well, it works with caliper brakes). It won't keep anyone from carrying your bike away, but as already mentioned, thieves of the bike stealing type are exceedingly lazy. The brake trick will stop the guy who just wants to ride off on your bike.

Originally Posted by alienator .

FWIW, one easy measure a you can take if leaving your bike out is to adjust the brakes when the bike is parked so that the pads are tight against the rim (well, it works with caliper brakes). It won't keep anyone from carrying your bike away, but as already mentioned, thieves of the bike stealing type are exceedingly lazy. The brake trick will stop the guy who just wants to ride off on your bike.
That's a good one. Ya might not wanna do this on a CF bike but the chain can also be derailed to hang on the BB shell. An unsuspecting crook trying to pedal away would be tantamount to a trying to run in cowboy boots on a freshly waxed linoleum floor.

Kryptonite Mini Evolution 2000.

Edit: Actually my new lock is a Kryptolok, supposedly a lower security lock than the Evolution. I removed the gray rubber sleeve and the horribly irritating plastic keyhole cover from the crossbar. The only difference between Kryptolok and Kryptonite that I can see is the color of the rubber sleeve on the crossbar, gray or orange.

Kryptolok: 13mm hardened performance steel shackle with classic bent foot design

Kryptonite Evolution: 1/2" hardened high-grade carbon alloy steel shackle

(13mm = 5.1in) The Kryptolok doesn't come with a lighted key.

When I used to pedal my good bike to school, I kept it in a locked enclosure with the chain below through the wheels and frame and around a bike rack that was padded with pipe insulation.

I do not Lock my bike. I just take it everywhere with me. I wanna see someone ride it away with the speedplays on it. They will crash, get thier ass beat and go to jail. I will lol

"They will crash, get thier ass beat and go to jail. I will lol"

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

David Gerchman said:
I do not Lock my bike. I just take it everywhere with me. I wanna see someone ride it away with the speedplays on it. They will crash, get thier ass beat and go to jail. I will lol
FYI, it's a doddle to pedal a bike with Speedplays and street shoes. I used to be a Speedplay user.

What pedals are you using now? and what speedplays did you have? I am more curious in why you changed pedals. Did you find some that are more comfy/less float?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

"They will crash, get thier ass beat and go to jail. I will lol"

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Bob, I am a Marine. I have an odd/twisted view on most things.

Semper Fi! I have a nephew that's currently a SAW gunner.

Thieves should die a fiery death. Bike thieves should have to die twice.

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord...but, I do subcontract to the USMC!

What I usually do at home is to keep my bike indoors and not outside in the garage, our garages here in the philippines are mostly open spaces with just a roof, it's not enclosed like in some countries. So it's best to have your bikes indoors.

Over here, you can be assured of the safety of your bike if you keep it indoors when not in use. When parking in public places, be sure that there is an attendant or a security guard manning the parking area otherwise thieves may attack when you are not around. A safety lock is imperative although it is not a guarantee for the safety of your bike. I had seen in one news report where a thief carried the bike that was obviously protected by a lock on the wheel.

It doesn't affect me at all, but even though I live in a city of about 250,000 people bike theft here is not a common event. When I commute to work I take the bike into my office so it's a non issue at work, but when I go camping I lock the bike with a thick cable, which are the easiest to cut, around a park bench/table to my bike and I don't worry about it. If I'm riding and need to stop into a store I'll either take the bike inside with me or if that's not allowed park it in front a window so I can see it at all times.

At home the bikes are kept in a locked garage and my three best bikes have a cable lock going through them, again an easy lock to overcome but it's just about slowing them down while the silent alarm is triggered and my neighborhood roaming security car is doing rounds might see them. If they get into the garage they're just going to snag one or two of the unlocked bikes, or snag some of my tools, and run.

In today's world with the advent of battery powered angle grinders, no lock is safe to protect your bike with for more than a minute. And the insurance policies that some locks have are completely useless at paying you money for your bike, if you're lucky you might get a free replacement lock, woohoo!

Thankfully, I currently live in an rural town where bike thefts simply aren't a reality. Unless I intend on being in a store for a very long time, I usually just prop my bike up at the rack and let it sit there freely until I come back. It's really quite a privilege.

However, I used to live in New York City, where over the course of 20 years I had three bikes stolen. I tried everything with two of them--getting good chains and locks, locking them up in populated areas, that whole deal--and yet I still had them stolen. The third time was my fault, as I had propped the bike up to go to a grocery store for 30 seconds, only to have my bike stolen in that window.

I honestly think there isn't much you can do outside of getting a good lock and putting it somewhere visible. If a thief really wants your bike, they'll take it.

I only leave my bike when I can park and lock it in front of a guard or a working CCTV camera, that way at least the thieves get discouraged with the additional measures and not just locking it.