What do you think are the main reasons for people not cycling.

Steph Peters wrote:
> Mike the unimaginative <[email protected]> of Your Company wrote:
>> I'm unconvinced by the arguments for showers.
>> I suspect that calls for, and installing showers, sends out a message
>> (maybe subliminal) that you *will* get hot and sweaty if you cycle *any*
>> distance at all to work. Whereas, cycling at a steady pace (comfortable for
>> your ability), in normal clothes, will generally not require you to shower
>> at work.

> I used to commute 5 miles each way by bike (now it's only 1.5 there and
> back). After getting up I needed to have a shower and cycle to work. I
> found it convenient to reverse the order. Put bike clothes on at home,
> cycle to work (often not particularly quickly), then shower at work and
> change into formal clothes for work. Took no longer than doing it the other
> way round, and for me was more convenient.

Indeed, getting up having breakfast and sticking shorts and t-shirt on
and getting on the bike then showering at the office is much more
pleasant than showing at home then getting the tube.

I am sure I wouldn't sweat on my commute either if I travelled so slow
as to take as long as it takes by tube (35min vs 60min).

The test then to me is should I move job would I want showers and decent
storage? yes and yes. At the moment I could shower at the gym should my
current office not have them.

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
> wafflycat wrote:
>>
>> I think this stuff about roads being intimidating is overstated and
>> overhyped.

> I don't. I've pretty much stopped cycling because it's just too
> terrifying. As a late learner I still have all sorts of technical issues
> with cycling (unable to look behind or around me, unable to take my
> hands off the bars to signal, unable to restart uphill after a traffic
> light, unable to turn tightly or neatly, unable to balance in low gear)

The main issue here seems to be your lack of balance. I would suggest
practicing cycling at slow speeds as this should improve your balance.

Restarting uphill is also about muscle strength, and you will only
improve this by excercising the relevant muscles. The a good way to do
this is just to cycle up hills.

Alternately you could try ridding a tricycle.

Martin.

"Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Alternately you could try ridding a tricycle.
>
> Martin.

And a recumbent tricycle is much easier to handle round corners than a
'normal' upright trike.Well, mine is anyhow. Even those I know of who race
upright tricycles are known to make comments along the lines of "it's a
b*gg*r to steer round corners" and "I have to fight it every inch of the way
around corners" whereas certainly my IceT recumbent trike goes where I point
him, with ease, and the steering is so good I can steer him with one finger
of each hand.

wafflycat wrote:

> "Martin Dann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Alternately you could try ridding a tricycle.
>>
>> Martin.

> And a recumbent tricycle is much easier to handle round corners than a
> 'normal' upright trike.Well, mine is anyhow. Even those I know of who
> race upright tricycles are known to make comments along the lines of
> "it's a b*gg*r to steer round corners" and "I have to fight it every
> inch of the way around corners" whereas certainly my IceT recumbent
> trike goes where I point him, with ease, and the steering is so good I
> can steer him with one finger of each hand.

But it is possible to make upright trikes that steer well - basically,
you steepen the head angle and reduce the trail. I have a friend (Bill
Ives) who's got it down to a fine art: his upright trikes go exactly
where you point them and you can steer with one finger. Several of the
Eastern Region TA have had a go on one. However, for me (and, I
suspect, many other riders of upright trikes) having "to fight it every
inch of the way around corners" is part of the fun.

--
Andrew