What kind of bike is this?

pushin4life

Jul 27, 2011
Could someone please help me determine what model bike this is? Where is the model or serial number located?

I can't really help you with the model. Eddy Merckx bikes were and still are a little out of my price range so I did not pay much attention to them. The Merckx are all designed to be high performance machines from what I have seen. Anyway, your bike is late 1980's and most bikes from that era had the serial number either stamped on the bottom of the BB or on the left side of the seat tube right above the BB. I would say that it was one of thier lower grade bikes judging by what looks to be Shimano 600 components. It feels strange to say that a bike that had Shimano 600 components is a low end bike, but that is only because most of the Eddy Merckx bikes came with Dura Ace components.

Sorry, I forgot that the Shimano Dura Ace and 600 looked identical in the late 1980's. Dura Ace was made of lighter materials. You have a higher end Eddy Merckx from that era.

BB stands for Bottom Bracket. That is the cylindrical part of the frame that holds the pedals axle and bearings. The serial number of bikes from this era was often stamped on the underside of the BB.

If you can't find it there, you might try contacting the guys in the link. They can probably tell you where to find the serial number and can probably tell you what model your bike is. http://www.eddymerckx.be/contact/73

Reactions: steve