What's your guy's wash process?

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I'm just curious what others wash routines. What products you use and how do you get to all of those tough to reach places.

A basin with soapy detergent, a garden hose on low flow, a wash rag. :rolleyes:

Bar soap works fine for me. I don't need shampoo since I shave my head. On weeks when I'm so busy that I don't have time to wipe well, I'll use a wash cloth and soap to clean the berries off the branches.

I can't afford a guy to wash me. Just have to stand in the shower and do it myself. :) Haven't tried a garden hose...:eek:

Bar soap and water for me in the shower. I have a long handled brush for my back but I am limber enough to reach all the other places. I have enough hair to require shampoo.

Susan usually works on the front, while Sheri takes care of cleaning the back. But I think Candy does the best job on my head. I like the way her finger nails feel washing my scalp. Candy also sometimes helps to get in those hard to reach places. All three girls share in drying me and dressing me.

Haha, funny guys...not. I use dish soap to clean my frame. I use a chain cleaner to totally degrease the chain. Then I use Simple Green sprayed onto my cassette and brushed. Then I clean my wheels with the soapy water along with my frame. Look in the car washing area at Wal-Mart or an auto place that is long and skinny to get by your brakes and by your crank. Then rinse off with a hose. This does a really good job of cleaning your bike. It takes about 20 minutes to do. I usually do it about once a week during the summer for race day.

rudycyclist said:
Haha, funny guys...not. I use dish soap to clean my frame. I use a chain cleaner to totally degrease the chain. Then I use Simple Green sprayed onto my cassette and brushed. Then I clean my wheels with the soapy water along with my frame. Look in the car washing area at Wal-Mart or an auto place that is long and skinny to get by your brakes and by your crank. Then rinse off with a hose. This does a really good job of cleaning your bike. It takes about 20 minutes to do. I usually do it about once a week during the summer for race day.
Does the auto place have to be long and skinny:confused: ? I prefer Advanced Auto to Wal-Mart, but their stores are sort of short and wide.

I use auto wax on the frame, not only to keep it pretty, but to make cleanup simple. Just wipe the frame down, the wax keeps road dirt from sticking.

The chain gets tossed in an ultrasonic cleaner twice a year. I already had the cleaner for restoring antique models (it was tough to find one big enough to hold Cheryl Tiegs) but I found that it did wonders for a cycle chain as well.

JohnO said:
I already had the cleaner for restoring antique models (it was tough to find one big enough to hold Cheryl Tiegs)......
Nice one!

Cheryl and I shared some special moments together when I was a young teen. Remember the white, see-through bathing suit? I certainly do.

Scotty_Dog said:
Nice one!

Cheryl and I shared some special moments together when I was a young teen. Remember the white, see-through bathing suit? I certainly do.

Yes, I do. Hard to forget that one.

Why use environmentally safe degreaser?

Hazard Summary-Created in April 1992; Revised in January 2000
Tetrachloroethylene is widely used for dry-cleaning fabrics and metal degreasing operations.* The main effects of tetrachloroethylene in humans are neurological, liver, and kidney effects following acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) inhalation exposure.* Adverse reproductive effects, such as spontaneous abortions, have been reported from occupational exposure to tetrachloroethylene; however, no definite conclusions can be made because of the limitations of the studies.* Results from epidemiological studies of dry-cleaners occupationally exposed to tetrachloroethylene suggest increased risks for several types of cancer.* Animal studies have reported an increased incidence of liver cancer in mice, via inhalation and gavage (experimentally placing the chemical in the stomach), and kidney and mononuclear cell leukemia in rats.* In the mid-1980s, EPA considered the epidemiological and animal evidence on tetrachloroethylene as intermediate between a probable and possible human carcinogen (Group B/C).* The Agency is currently reassessing its potential carcinogenicity.

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/tet-ethy.html

Send me a pm if you would like to learn more about Skaklee's environmental friendly Basic H