Wheel set for 240 lb rider

Discussion in 'Clydesdales 200lb / 90kg + riders' started by Redevil, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Redevil

Redevil New Member

Hi all
    i got the Zipp 404 last year but forgot to ask the weight limit (250)
    so i had lot's of issues with the freehub and i managed to convince
    my bike shop to take them back with full refund.
    Any recommendations for a new set at the same (or below) price
    ($2000)
    All Mavic wheels are out of the question as their max is 264 (including bike)

Thanks

Tags:

2. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

You didn't mention how much you weigh, I assume between 240 and 270?

Reynolds claims that their Strike DB and Assault DB can take riders up to 250 pounds but I would email them to make sure. Mavic admits that for riders in excess of 250 pounds that a custom wheelset be built; I know if you can build a Velocity Dyad with 36 spokes it can easily hold a 250 pound rider with another 65 or so pounds of touring gear on a touring bike! Along with a Dyad build you would need to make sure it is built with a 3 cross spoke pattern, double butted DT Alpine spokes, and brass nipples. I would go 36 spoke wheels both rear and front but some may argue all you need is 32 on the front, that's fine, but I prefer to be on the side of over engineered for better reliability.

On that note, if your LBS cannot build a wheelset for your weight, or you don't trust them to do so, Peter White at Peter White Cycles can, he is the foremost wheel builder in the US and maybe the world and his prices are very reasonable. He's sort of an odd duck to speak to but if you approach him with mindset and speaking manners that say you are open to whatever suggestion he makes and don't try to act like you know more about wheels then he does, or are hesitant on his suggest, you'll be ok, because what he will suggest will be the only best suggestion. If you accept his recommendation you'll get a lifetime guarantee on the wheels! He is really good, I have a set of wheels from him and they have never gone out of true! http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ Personally if I was a very large person this is the only person I would want to build my wheels!! In fact he is the only person I want building my next set of touring wheels. By the way, he may have a better idea than the wheelset I mention which is fine, go with his suggestion and not mine, but if you don't like to do things remotely and want your LBS to do it the Dyad wheel build I suggested will be fine assuming the LBS knows how to build a strong wheel.

3. Leo001

Leo001 New Member

I'll add my 2 cents, I'm a Clyde (250lb) all my bikes have their stock wheels, (bontrager, etc...) I have never purchased a set of "upgraded" wheels. I have a few bikes ranging from vintage Bianchi steel frame, to a Specialized, to a hybrid and even a fat bike, I ride a minimum of 2000 miles a year, some wheels are 32 spoke, one set of Mavic are 28 spoke (straight pull) over the years I have broken 2 or 3 spokes. I'd say just buy quality wheels (no light weights) keep them true and spoke tension even and you'll bee fine.

4. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

About the same weight and I won't waste my time with fancy botique wheels.

Give me a good Velocity Deep V, well made (me :D) , 32 spoke, 3x and it's good for 20.000 miles.

I myself don't get much use out of a stock wheel (Bontrager etc). I get a little over 2,000 before they go crazy and won't stay true. I toss them in the trash. Matter of fact, my last 2 bikes, I tossed them in the trash even before my bike hit the road. No sense in wasting frustration.

My wife, at a lower weight did get 13,000 out of her Bonti's before cracking around the nipples, as Bonti's are known for.

Yeah I could ride the stocks for several years if I had several bikes and did low mileage on them. I could make one set of stock wheels last 5 years.

But doing a 7300 mile year, those stock wheels didn't last me more than 4 months, waste of my time and frustration trying to keep them true. TRASH CAN! :D

I have used 32's and 28's in the rear with no problems at all in a 30 mm deep rim.

I have used 28's and 24's in the front with no problems at all.

5. Cbtbakkes

Cbtbakkes New Member

I used to do some loaded touring at 320 plus gear. I never had an issue with 36 spoked 700x25 wheels with mt bike hubs.

6. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

you probably wouldn't have any issues but to be safe 40 spoke wheel for the rear is recommended, which is why expedition bikes and a lot touring bikes came with 40 spoke rear wheels and 36 front though some expedition used 40 spoke front wheels too.

7. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I do have to ask the question, since I'm way over 200lb now but from prior experience on several occasions I have to wonder: how can you cycle for years on end and still be over 200lb? I don't know how that works...

8. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

32 or 36 spoke wheels from a good wheel builder will do the trick.

If the wheels head south when the rider is north of 200lbs, then maybe a course in pothole avoidance and basic riding skills is required. Stuff doesn't break on smooth roads, stuff breaks when something bad happens - like hitting a pothole. Hitting potholes isn't just a thing - it's something that can be avoided.

At the start of every ride, check your tire's air pressure. During every moment of every ride, watch out for things that make your wheel go 'bump'.

9. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

To answer your last question about riding years on end and still be over 200 pounds is real simple...it's called genetics. That is NOT saying your genetics is inferior to someone weighing 160 pounds and riding for years on end, just different that's all plain and simple. If you've gone to a doctor and he says you need to lose weight then ok, but how much weight are you to lose? If you've been trying to lose say 40 pounds because the doctor said so for the last couple of years and you've been unsuccessful then you need to ask the doctor about a diet and what to change in your physical exercise. Larger people are built to be muscular, so maybe going to a gym every other day and riding your bike every other day when your not at the gym will build up muscle mass. In some aspects I envy you, because when I was young I tried like crazy for years to put on muscle mass and it failed, I was that skinny guy that girls instead looked at the more muscle bound guys. So don't let your weight depress you, you were made like that so you need to work with it. I knew a guy who had large bones but he weighed a lot, or so he thought so, so he virtually starved himself to the brink of death with very little fat on him and he still weighed 185 pounds, though he did drop 80 pounds he looked horrible, and it wasn't till he was admitted to the hospital that he discovered he wasn't suppose to be that thin for a person 6' 4" with large bones, the doc told him his idea weight should be 215 to 220 pounds. So your idea of a weight problem may not be one at all, so go see a doctor and find out the truth and then ask what changes you need to make to reduce if that's what the doctor says you must do.

Wheel wise, usually lower costing wheels are more stout because they are heavier and built to be stout. ROL makes a nice set of wheels for heavy riders called the Volant R/T and they're only $525 for the pair; see: https://store.rolwheels.com/volant-rt-alloy-clincher-p148.aspx the recommended rider weight max is 240 pounds. If you weigh more than 240 pounds you may need to go with a custom built wheel using Velocity Deep V Clydesdale wheel and opting for 36 spokes front and 40 rear; see: http://www.velocityusa.com/product/wheels/clydesdale/deep-v-clydesdale-wheelset These are actually less expensive than the ROL so you might want to consider only the Velocity if you need to save a bit of money. On that Velocity site the wheel weight they list I'm sure are for the wheels with the least amount of spokes and not for the set with the middle amount or the most amount of spokes.

Are there other wheels out there? Of course but I didn't have time to list a bunch but those, especially the Velocity, are a great set of wheels for a very reasonable price. they're not racing wheels they are wheels designed to take a heavier person banging on rough city streets without fail or constant truing.