Wheelbuilding Rim Choices Advice

raelwelcome

Guest
I am planning to have a 2006 Record hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset
will be used by a 210-220 lb rider. Additionally, I am planning to have a
2006 Chris King hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset will be ridden by a
130 lb woman. All hubs are 32 hole drilling.

The LBS suggested the following for the lighter weight rider (Chris
King). DT Swiss RR 1.1 rim 3x laced with double butted Wheelsmith or
DTspokes. Brass nipples. Single or double eyelets were not discussed, but
the 1.1 has both available.

For the heavier rider the LBS suggested the following for the heavier
rider.(2006 Record) DT Swiss RR 1.2 rim 3x laced with double butted
Wheelsmith or DTspokes. Brass nipples.

My questions are concerning the rim choice. Anyone using these rims? Are
there better choices for the rims. I have ridden both Velocity Aerohead
and Mavic Open Pro rims without issues. Perhaps Deep V's or CXP33 are
better choice? The builder stated that he would build with any of these
rims but suggested the DT as being the best in quality control.

The hubs are already in the parts box so I am not looking for advice on
fewer or more spokes etc. I am looking to maximize quality of the build
based on rim selection. Most riding is done on gently rolling hills. Avg
miles 30-50. Some centuries etc. Wheel weight is not as big a concern as
durability.

Relevant rider/ wheelbuilder replies would be greatly appreciated.

Remove the numbers to reply by e-mail.

On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:38:16 -0500, raelwelcome
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am planning to have a 2006 Record hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset
>will be used by a 210-220 lb rider. Additionally, I am planning to have a
>2006 Chris King hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset will be ridden by a
>130 lb woman. All hubs are 32 hole drilling.
>
>The LBS suggested the following for the lighter weight rider (Chris
>King). DT Swiss RR 1.1 rim 3x laced with double butted Wheelsmith or
>DTspokes. Brass nipples. Single or double eyelets were not discussed, but
>the 1.1 has both available.
>
>For the heavier rider the LBS suggested the following for the heavier
>rider.(2006 Record) DT Swiss RR 1.2 rim 3x laced with double butted
>Wheelsmith or DTspokes. Brass nipples.
>
>My questions are concerning the rim choice. Anyone using these rims? Are
>there better choices for the rims.

I can build better wheels using Velocity offset rims than the DT rims.
The eyelet choices for the DT don't make a better, stronger wheel.
The problem is that I cannot get high tension on the non drive side.
Even a Mavic Open does better in this regard. I've had great luck
with the Velocity OC for both heavy and lighweight riders. If it
makes you feel better, you can use 2.0 x 1.8 spokes on the heavy rider
wheel and 1.8 x 1.6 mm for the lighter rider. In reality, it doesn't
seem to make much difference.

On May 21, 8:06 am, Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:38:16 -0500, raelwelcome
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I am planning to have a 2006 Record hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset
> >will be used by a 210-220 lb rider. Additionally, I am planning to have a
> >2006 Chris King hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset will be ridden by a
> >130 lb woman. All hubs are 32 hole drilling.

> >The LBS suggested the following for the lighter weight rider (Chris
> >King). DT Swiss RR 1.1 rim 3x laced with double butted Wheelsmith or
> >DTspokes. Brass nipples. Single or double eyelets were not discussed, but
> >the 1.1 has both available.

> >For the heavier rider the LBS suggested the following for the heavier
> >rider.(2006 Record) DT Swiss RR 1.2 rim 3x laced with double butted
> >Wheelsmith or DTspokes. Brass nipples.

> >My questions are concerning the rim choice. Anyone using these rims? Are
> >there better choices for the rims.

> I can build better wheels using Velocity offset rims than the DT rims.

I agree that for a Campy rear hub, a good offset rim builds a better
wheel. I have a Ritchey OCR offset rim with my Chorus rear hub and DT
db spokes. The rear wheel is a bit heavier than my DA 9 hub/mavic open
pro/DT db spoke wheel, but it is bullet proof!

On May 21, 4:38 pm, raelwelcome <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am planning to have a 2006 Record hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset
> will be used by a 210-220 lb rider. Additionally, I am planning to have a
> 2006 Chris King hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset will be ridden by a
> 130 lb woman. All hubs are 32 hole drilling.
>
> The LBS suggested the following for the lighter weight rider (Chris
> King). DT Swiss RR 1.1 rim 3x laced with double butted Wheelsmith or
> DTspokes. Brass nipples. Single or double eyelets were not discussed, but
> the 1.1 has both available.
>
> For the heavier rider the LBS suggested the following for the heavier
> rider.(2006 Record) DT Swiss RR 1.2 rim 3x laced with double butted
> Wheelsmith or DTspokes. Brass nipples.
>
> My questions are concerning the rim choice. Anyone using these rims? Are
> there better choices for the rims. I have ridden both Velocity Aerohead
> and Mavic Open Pro rims without issues. Perhaps Deep V's or CXP33 are
> better choice? The builder stated that he would build with any of these
> rims but suggested the DT as being the best in quality control.
>
> The hubs are already in the parts box so I am not looking for advice on
> fewer or more spokes etc. I am looking to maximize quality of the build
> based on rim selection. Most riding is done on gently rolling hills. Avg
> miles 30-50. Some centuries etc. Wheel weight is not as big a concern as
> durability.
>
> Relevant rider/ wheelbuilder replies would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Remove the numbers to reply by e-mail.

My vote is for Velocity Aerohead OC for both sets. I assume the woman
is your significant other, it which case you may on some future
occasion have reason to want to borrow her wheels, and it would be
nice to know they are up to the task.

I have some 36 spoke professionally built Aerohead OC's that are super
strong. I also have a set of 32 hole Deep-V's that I built that have
likewise survived a few major high-speed pot-hole hits. These days I'm
about 215, but I've been more on these wheels.

I like the OC for the even spoke tension, and I like the Deep-V for
the inherent rim strength and the (ever so) slight aero advantage.

Joseph

On May 21, 8:38 am, raelwelcome <[email protected]> wrote:

> The builder stated that he would build with any of these
> rims but suggested the DT as being the best in quality control.

DT's QC is good, but their original single eyelet rim had a tendency
to crack around the eyelets. If you are getting the double eyelet 1.1
though, it should be fine.

An offset spoke bed will help even the tension side to side a little,
but a deep rim (like the 1.2 or Deep V) should safely take higher
tension on the drive side, so the NDS tension will be higher as well.

I think the LBS's rim recommendations are fine for the type of riding
you'll be doing... should be very solid. You could save weight
(especially the woman's wheels), and improve aerodynamics, but these
things aren't going to make enough of a difference that you will
notice it.

raelwelcome said:
[...]

I suggest Velocity Synergy 700C rims for the heavier rider (OC rear) and Velocity Aerohead (OC rear) for the lighter rider.
I have built a lot of both.
I also have built the Velocity Fusion and Deep V. I think the OC rear is especially helpful with Campagnolo hubs.
Since I also build with Sapim spokes I have lots of experience with them. For the lighter rider I suggest Sapim Laser 14/17 DB front and left rear; with Sapim Race 14/15 DB right rear. For the heavier rider I would suggest Sapim Race 14/15 DB all around.

On May 21, 8:38 am, raelwelcome <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am planning to have a 2006 Record hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset
> will be used by a 210-220 lb rider. Additionally, I am planning to have a
> 2006 Chris King hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset will be ridden by a
> 130 lb woman. All hubs are 32 hole drilling.
>
> The LBS suggested the following for the lighter weight rider (Chris
> King). DT Swiss RR 1.1 rim 3x laced with double butted Wheelsmith or
> DTspokes. Brass nipples. Single or double eyelets were not discussed, but
> the 1.1 has both available.

Double eyelet ones..better rim.

> For the heavier rider the LBS suggested the following for the heavier
> rider.(2006 Record) DT Swiss RR 1.2 rim 3x laced with double butted
> Wheelsmith or DTspokes. Brass nipples.

I'd recommend at least a 36h rear, then Velocity Fusion or mavic
CXP-33.

> My questions are concerning the rim choice. Anyone using these rims? Are
> there better choices for the rims. I have ridden both Velocity Aerohead
> and Mavic Open Pro rims without issues. Perhaps Deep V's or CXP33 are
> better choice? The builder stated that he would build with any of these
> rims but suggested the DT as being the best in quality control.

GOOd quality control but so is Velocity. I think an Aerohead, even a
OC rear is too light for you.

> The hubs are already in the parts box so I am not looking for advice on
> fewer or more spokes etc. I am looking to maximize quality of the build
> based on rim selection. Most riding is done on gently rolling hills. Avg
> miles 30-50. Some centuries etc. Wheel weight is not as big a concern as
> durability.

Then Fusion or CXP-33 if ya already have a 32h hubset.

> Relevant rider/ wheelbuilder replies would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Remove the numbers to reply by e-mail.

On May 21, 8:38 am, raelwelcome <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am planning to have a 2006 Record hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset
> will be used by a 210-220 lb rider. Additionally, I am planning to have a
> 2006 Chris King hubset built up by LBS. This wheelset will be ridden by a
> 130 lb woman. All hubs are 32 hole drilling.
>
> The LBS suggested the following for the lighter weight rider (Chris
> King). DT Swiss RR 1.1 rim 3x laced with double butted Wheelsmith or
> DTspokes. Brass nipples. Single or double eyelets were not discussed, but
> the 1.1 has both available.
>
> For the heavier rider the LBS suggested the following for the heavier
> rider.(2006 Record) DT Swiss RR 1.2 rim 3x laced with double butted
> Wheelsmith or DTspokes. Brass nipples.
>
> My questions are concerning the rim choice. Anyone using these rims? Are
> there better choices for the rims. I have ridden both Velocity Aerohead
> and Mavic Open Pro rims without issues. Perhaps Deep V's or CXP33 are
> better choice? The builder stated that he would build with any of these
> rims but suggested the DT as being the best in quality control.
>
> The hubs are already in the parts box so I am not looking for advice on
> fewer or more spokes etc. I am looking to maximize quality of the build
> based on rim selection. Most riding is done on gently rolling hills. Avg
> miles 30-50. Some centuries etc. Wheel weight is not as big a concern as
> durability.
>
> Relevant rider/ wheelbuilder replies would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Remove the numbers to reply by e-mail.

BTW-if you don't have the CK hubs, I'd stay away from them. VERY
complicated, very expensive to maintain. DT hubs are nice....