Where are the women on bikes in Melb?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by coowoowoo, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo Guest

    Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
    melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
    or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
    of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
    all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
    they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
    as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb Guest

    coowoowoo wrote:
    > Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
    > melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
    > or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
    > of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
    > all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
    > they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
    > as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

    Cheer up, I'm here around the inner eastern suburbs, 35+, have many
    different bikes (tourer/mtb/ss/bmx + more), lifestyle based around bikes
    and bike related stuff. As for blokes with fuzzy legs, go off road to
    MTB Land. From a ladies perspective, the lads can shave their legs if
    they like, but I really don't care. I prefer a bloke that looks like a
    bloke with hairy legs.:D :D

    --

  3. jazmo

    jazmo Guest

    coowoowoo wrote:
    > Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
    > melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
    > or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
    > of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
    > all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
    > they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
    > as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

    I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

    --

  4. rickster

    rickster Guest

    jazmo <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message news:<_mIjc.7655$cj7.1335@fe14.usenetserver.com>...
    > coowoowoo wrote:
    > > Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
    > > melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
    > > or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
    > > of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
    > > all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
    > > they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
    > > as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

    > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

    I had hairy legs for years until I took up racing and a few months
    later gone. Peer pressure, desire to fit in etc. Stupid aint it ?
    I never thought I'd be a sucker for that stuff, never smoked in my
    life, but their ya go !!

    I will not hesitate to say I'm hairless for no other reason that is it
    the standard look. Any other reasons, FOS for chumps like me.

  5. eb

    eb Guest

    coowoowoo> Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+
    coowoowoo> on bikes in melbourne?

    I see a few on Nepean Highway between Highett and the CBD most mornings.

    coowoowoo> And where are all the men riding bikes with hair on their
    coowoowoo> legs?? Do they exist?

    Nepean Highway most days, sometimes East Boundary, North Road,
    Springvale if working in Burwood.

    coowoowoo> Or do they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed?
    coowoowoo> Can anyone help me here as i really want to know why men
    coowoowoo> feel the need the wax their legs..

    Lessee, got nicks, shoes and helmet. No waxing and the rest of my attire
    is daggy as.

    #1 haircut 'cause I'm lazy and hate brushing my hair ;-)
    --
    Regards
    Euan

  6. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo Guest

    Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around that isnt a
    slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a man should look like a man
    and have hair on their legs. There is something wrong when i pull up to
    the lights and look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man
    next to me.

    --

  7. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo Guest

    > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have
    > hairy legs.

    I had hairy legs for years until I took up racing and a few months later
    gone. Peer pressure, desire to fit in etc. Stupid aint it ? I never
    thought I'd be a sucker for that stuff, never smoked in my life, but
    their ya go !!

    I will not hesitate to say I'm hairless for no other reason that is it
    the standard look. Any other reasons, FOS for chumps like me.

    Peer pressure.. hahaha.. do they make you smoke as well?? So does it
    make you ride faster??????

    --

  8. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo Guest

    jazmo wrote:
    > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

    Do you ride in a bunch and do the other boys ridicule you and make you
    go to the back of the line?? Do men actually discuss what wax is best to
    use? Now that is something that i would like to hear. :D

    --

  9. Claude

    Claude Guest

    My wife is 40 and commutes on her MTB to the CBD from Ivanhoe most days.
    Interesting thing is she's not at all the 'sporty type' but sees it as a
    sensible way to maintain health and keep the kilos at bay. Commuting is
    'gotta do' time so why not use it to keep fit rather than have to find
    'extra time' to go to the gym or jog? She was never interested in cycling
    until she finally gave in and came on the Great Melbourne Bike Ride - from
    there she's graduated to commuting and a few recreational rides down the
    Yarra to lunch at South Bank with me (although she has no interest in riding
    by herself for leisure).

    "coowoowoo" <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message
    > Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
    > melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
    > or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
    > of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
    > all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
    > they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
    > as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..
    >

    > --

  10. rickster

    rickster Guest

    coowoowoo <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message news:<SHWjc.7280$Qe.6817@fe24.usenetserver.com>...
    > > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have
    > > hairy legs.

    >snip

    > Peer pressure.. hahaha.. do they make you smoke as well?? So does it
    > make you ride faster??????

    nope and nope.

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    jazmo wrote:
    > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

    I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have hairy legs!

    as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i havent had any
    deep and Meaninful discussions about much at all let alone down at the
    business end of the Bod

    I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
    legs:D :D :D

    As for women, I was really surprised how few were at the crits I did. I
    know a few strong female riders but they are certainly few and far
    between. the lack of gal commuters is rather low too...

    --

  12. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    coowoowoo wrote:

    > Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around that isnt a
    > slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a man should look like a man
    > and have hair on their legs. There is something wrong when i pull up to
    > the lights and look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man
    > next to me.
    >
    > --

    I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne for everyone to
    have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-legged women and
    supple-skinned men). It's slipped below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I
    reckon I'll buy me a set soon...

    Tamyka

  13. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > coowoowoo wrote:
    >
    >>Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around that isnt a
    >>slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a man should look like a man
    >>and have hair on their legs. There is something wrong when i pull up to
    >>the lights and look down and see more stubble on my legs than the man
    >>next to me.
    >>
    >>--

    > I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne for everyone to
    > have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-legged women and
    > supple-skinned men). It's slipped below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I
    > reckon I'll buy me a set soon...
    >
    > Tamyka

    No way, I commuted all last winter in Melb with no longs (of course the
    hair on my legs almost makes up for them). It only hurts for the first
    km which is all downhill, after that I heat up real quick, but I think
    that's just genetics (my Dad always wore shorts and T-shirt even in the
    middle of winter)

    Dave B.

  14. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <tbell@hms.uq.edu.au> wrote in message

    [...]

    > I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne for everyone to
    > have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly-legged women and
    > supple-skinned men). It's slipped below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I
    > reckon I'll buy me a set soon...

    Maximum temperatures in Melbourne these days are around the 17° to 20° mark.
    That's just cool enough for me to wonder when I go out for a ride whether
    it's not a tad too cool for nix, which in practice means it's exactly right
    because I'm as warm as when I get back. It's my upper body which needs
    attention. It's starting to get too cool for vests or sleeveless T-shirts.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  15. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "flyingdutch" <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message

    [...]

    > I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have hairy legs!
    >
    > as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i havent had any
    > deep and Meaninful discussions about much at all let alone down at the
    > business end of the Bod
    >
    > I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
    > legs:D :D :D

    I've passed the odd roadie whilst on my hybrid... they Do Not Like It. For
    some reason they always pass me back by going through the red light I've
    stopped for.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  16. rickster

    rickster Guest

    flyingdutch <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message news:<pQ_jc.19808$mJ2.11443@fe04.usenetserver.com>...
    > jazmo wrote:
    > > I ride Beach Rd of a Saturday morning and I race and I have hairy legs.

    > I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have hairy legs!

    then you only race D grade, or maybe C. Nothing wrong with that but
    there is no hairy leg people in B or A grade. Well, none that do any
    good.

    > as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i havent had any
    > deep and Meaninful discussions about much at all let alone down at the
    > business end of the Bod
    >
    > I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
    > legs:D :D :D

    What a strange comment.

    [snip]

  17. rickster

    rickster Guest

    "DRS" <drs@remove.this.ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:<c6r25s$e30$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
    > "flyingdutch" <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > I ride Beach Rd of a SUNDAY morning and I race and I have hairy legs!
    > >
    > > as i have only dipped the toe into racing (3 crits) i havent had any
    > > deep and Meaninful discussions about much at all let alone down at the
    > > business end of the Bod
    > >
    > > I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
    > > legs:D :D :D

    > I've passed the odd roadie whilst on my hybrid... they Do Not Like It. For
    > some reason they always pass me back by going through the red light I've
    > stopped for.

    Another strange comment. Fark, my old mazda 626 once passed a Porshe
    911. I and my Mazda ROCK !!

  18. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    rickster wrote:

    > "DRS" <drs@remove.this.ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:<c6r25s$e30$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
    > > "flyingdutch" <usenet-forum@cyclingforums.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > [...]
    > > >
    > > > I like passing roadie dudes on my mtb commuting with my big hairy
    > > > legs:D :D :D

    > > I've passed the odd roadie whilst on my hybrid... they Do Not Like It. For
    > > some reason they always pass me back by going through the red light I've
    > > stopped for.

    > Another strange comment. Fark, my old mazda 626 once passed a Porshe
    > 911. I and my Mazda ROCK !!

    Yep, people on hybrids and mtb's pass me often. Usually they are working
    a lot harder than me (not always). It really doesn't bother me. The
    mtb riders look funny if you stick 'em on a road bike.

    Once a guy in sandals passed me and I found that one a little upsetting
    but later I saw him unclip and clip in again. Didn't know you could get
    plugger-cleats. Has anyone seen them in a shop or were they custom
    (home) made?

    I don't like it when people race past you (driving or cycling) on a flat
    or up a hill but then can't handle corners at speed, and cut you off,
    etc.

    ______________________________________

    Tamyka Bell, PhD Student
    School of Human Movement Studies
    The University Of Queensland
    w: +61-7-33656105
    m: +61-4-00782972
    e: t.bell@uq.edu.au
    ______________________________________

  19. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo Guest

    Daveb wrote:
    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > coowoowoo wrote:
    > >
    > >>Glad to hear that there is atleast one other woman around that isnt a
    > >>slave to the roadbike. I also agree that a man should look like a man
    > >>and have hair on their legs. There is something wrong when i pull up
    > >>to the lights and look down and see more stubble on my legs than the
    > >>man next to me.
    > >>
    > >>--

    > > I thought that by now it'd be cold enough in Melbourne for everyone to
    > > have longs on (and thus not notice stubbly- legged women and supple-
    > > skinned men). It's slipped below 25 deg C in Brisbane and I reckon
    > > I'll buy me a set soon...
    > >
    > > Tamyka

    > No way, I commuted all last winter in Melb with no longs (of course the
    > hair on my legs almost makes up for them). It only hurts for the first
    > km which is all downhill, after that I heat up real quick, but I think
    > that's just genetics (my Dad always wore shorts and T-shirt even in the
    > middle of winter)
    > Dave B.

    Hi again I am still being ambitious and am riding to work in the mid
    thigh nix but agree with dave.The sleeves are coming out and the gloves
    are back on..

    --

  20. amirm

    amirm Guest

    coowoowoo wrote:
    > Why is it that there dont seem to be a lot of women 30+ on bikes in
    > melbourne? I am talking about the ones (like me) who dont have the time
    > or inclination to buy/look after a road bike but are more than capable
    > of riding a decent distance on either a hybrid or a MTB? And where are
    > all the men riding bikes with hair on their legs?? Do they exist? Or do
    > they shun beach rd for fear of being ridiculed? Can anyone help me here
    > as i really want to know why men feel the need the wax their legs..

    Many things in our current lifestyle can be questioned. Why male
    cyclists, mostly roadies, shave their legs does not need to have a
    substantial reason. Or there may be reasons. But what's the difference?
    Shaving body hair is not limited to cycling. I tend to think those
    sports that draw attention to the body of performer tend to call for
    clean skins, but that's me.

    Many norms have formed over time, and it's our inclination not to go
    against them when there's no need to. I can extend your question to why
    do public servants and such wear suits? Why magistrates and attorneys
    wear wigs? Why women shave their panty lines (wow I think I know the
    answer to this one)? Why builders wear shorts that show their cracks?
    Why there is always Ford vs Holden in OZ? Why we hold the knife with
    right hand and fork with the other (or am I confused)? Why there are 26
    letters in English alphabet?

    And BTW, I haven't shaved for a while, so the hair on my legs is not too
    short and too long, just in between. Should I ride a hybrid then??? ;)

Share This Page