Will Israel Strike First?

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
Quote:

"Israel will not, I repeat, will not, allow Iran to go nuclear," said a top IDF official who talked on condition his name be withheld. 'Right now, we are giving diplomacy a try, but if it becomes clear that Iran is going nuclear and will not be deterred, even by sanctions, we will not sit by and do nothing. The question though is whether we act, or America acts.'"
The big issue is this: Will Israel decide to take its own action against Iran in view of the fact the Iranians are determined to acquire nuclear weapons? Iranian officials have repeatedly warned they would use nuclear missiles and Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has even stated he would "vaporize the Zionist entity" if Iran obtained a nuclear bomb.
In response to the growing Iranian threat, a panel of foreign policy and military experts delivered to Sharon last year a series of recommendations entitled "Project Daniel: Israel's Strategic Future," regarding Israeli pre-emptive action.
The group suggests strongly and unequivocally that conventional Israeli pre-emption against selected enemy nuclear infrastructures now in development be executed as early as possible and – wherever possible – in collaboration with the United States. Where America may be unable or unwilling to act proactively against these infrastructures, it is essential that Israel be able and willing to act alone," says the report.
Project Daniel urges Israel to strike Iran's nuclear facilities using covert operations, conventional weaponry and, if it can be reasonably assured of success, by targeting Iran's regime leadership.
"Pre-emption may be overt or covert, and range from 'decapitation' to full-scale military operations," says the report.

Comments:

"I think Israel may have a right to prepare to defend itself. Iran has threatened them. And they are a serious threat to America. Their government preaches "Death to America" to its people virtually every day."

"That's code for 'if you even think they're gonna move, hit 'em first,' isn't it?"

"Well, why not?/ They are one of our strongest allies. As long as they are defending themselves."

"The Israeli Air Force has completed military preparations for a pre-emptive strike at Iran's Bushehr nuclear facility and will attack if Russia supplies Iran with rods for enriching uranium, Israeli officials said, according to a report in the London Sunday Times. Military sources said the raid would be carried out by long-range F-15I jets, overflying Turkey, with simultaneous operations by commandos on the ground.
Israel may also choose to launch submarine-based cruise missiles from the Persian Gulf at key Iranian targets, NewsMax.com reported.
The rods, currently stored at a Russian port, are expected to be delivered late next year after a dispute over financial terms is resolved, the paper reported.
An Israeli defense source in Tel Aviv, who confirmed that the military rehearsals had taken place, told the paper: "Israel will on no account permit Iranian reactors - especially the one being built in Bushehr with Russian help -to go critical."
"If the worst comes to the worst and international efforts fail," the source was quoted as saying, "we are very confident we'll be able to demolish the ayatollahs' nuclear aspirations in one go."
An attack on Iran's nuclear facilities would be much more complicated, Israeli media sources reported, because the country's nuclear program is dispersed at several sites and the distance from Israel is much greater. Iran also has the possibility to retaliate with its Shihab ballistic missiles, the reports said.
Military sources believe the IDF has the capabilities to defend Israel against a possible Iranian missile attack. Officially, due to Israel's reliance on the newly developed Arrow anti-missile defense system, the country is giving priority to diplomatic pressure to combat the Iranian nuclear threat."

Carrera said:
Quote:

"Israel will not, I repeat, will not, allow Iran to go nuclear," said a top IDF official who talked on condition his name be withheld. 'Right now, we are giving diplomacy a try, but if it becomes clear that Iran is going nuclear and will not be deterred, even by sanctions, we will not sit by and do nothing. The question though is whether we act, or America acts.'"
The big issue is this: Will Israel decide to take its own action against Iran in view of the fact the Iranians are determined to acquire nuclear weapons? Iranian officials have repeatedly warned they would use nuclear missiles and Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei has even stated he would "vaporize the Zionist entity" if Iran obtained a nuclear bomb.
In response to the growing Iranian threat, a panel of foreign policy and military experts delivered to Sharon last year a series of recommendations entitled "Project Daniel: Israel's Strategic Future," regarding Israeli pre-emptive action.
The group suggests strongly and unequivocally that conventional Israeli pre-emption against selected enemy nuclear infrastructures now in development be executed as early as possible and – wherever possible – in collaboration with the United States. Where America may be unable or unwilling to act proactively against these infrastructures, it is essential that Israel be able and willing to act alone," says the report.
Project Daniel urges Israel to strike Iran's nuclear facilities using covert operations, conventional weaponry and, if it can be reasonably assured of success, by targeting Iran's regime leadership.
"Pre-emption may be overt or covert, and range from 'decapitation' to full-scale military operations," says the report.

Comments:

"I think Israel may have a right to prepare to defend itself. Iran has threatened them. And they are a serious threat to America. Their government preaches "Death to America" to its people virtually every day."

"That's code for 'if you even think they're gonna move, hit 'em first,' isn't it?"

"Well, why not?/ They are one of our strongest allies. As long as they are defending themselves."

Ayatollah Khomeini died in 1989.

Carrera said:
Quote:

"Israel will not, I repeat, will not, allow Iran to go nuclear," said a top IDF official who talked on condition his name be withheld.
Bob Jones always says stuff like that....oh ****, sorry, i mean Brian...Brian slways stuuf like that...sorry.

Is this the same Israel that (denies it) holds nuclear weapons in contravention of over 30 United Nations resolutions? :confused:

I know that. But the country remains a threat if one looks at the situation from the point of an Israeli.
What amazes me is what Russia is up to where all this is concerned. I'm not quite sure how it can serve Russian interests to help Iran go nuclear. Another point is, Russia ought to realise it could very well start a Third World War and that would be a disaster for everybody. Oil is evidently a factor.
The point is Israel is not going to allow Iran to activate those rods, even if the U.S. decides not to back Israel this time around. I also believe Israel has the means and determination to deal with Iran on its own.
The truth is the Israelis know more about all of this than the U.S. does and has more intelligence on Iran than anyone else.

FredC said:

I believe that if there was a very, very imminent danger of having its' existence destroyed outright, that Israel would use some sort of catastrophic weapons.

"Never Again"

Seems like the best way to solve a potential catastrophe would be for Bush to outline a date for full Iraqi sovereignty and pull his forces out of the Gulf, thus easing the fears of the Iranians that they will be targeted. Europe could then persuade Iran to ditch its nuclear ambitions.
As things stand, the presence of thousands of U.S. troops and heavy armour on the border of Iran (coupled with the reality of a Christian, right-wing Bush, probably scares Iran and radicalises its people).
So, I don't know whether Iran is scared of being invaded or just asking for trouble by rocking the boat in the Middle East.

ptlwp said:
I believe that if there was a very, very imminent danger of having its' existence destroyed outright, that Israel would use some sort of catastrophic weapons.

"Never Again"

Carrera said:
I know that. But the country remains a threat if one looks at the situation from the point of an Israeli.
What amazes me is what Russia is up to where all this is concerned. I'm not quite sure how it can serve Russian interests to help Iran go nuclear. Another point is, Russia ought to realise it could very well start a Third World War and that would be a disaster for everybody. Oil is evidently a factor.
The point is Israel is not going to allow Iran to activate those rods, even if the U.S. decides not to back Israel this time around. I also believe Israel has the means and determination to deal with Iran on its own.
The truth is the Israelis know more about all of this than the U.S. does and has more intelligence on Iran than anyone else.

as the Israelis don´t have bombers with the range to bomb Iran and don´t , themselves , have tanker support of their own it will only happen with outside help but this is not Iraq and these facilities are already operating and why can´T Iran have nuclear power ? all the treaties say they can , it´s only the US and Isreal that´s getting difficult - the US reason being that Iran has oil why does it need nuclear power .
mind you statements like these do explain why so many people consider Isreal to be the biggest threat to world peace .

el Inglés said:
as the Israelis don´t have bombers with the range to bomb Iran and don´t , themselves , have tanker support of their own it will only happen with outside help but this is not Iraq and these facilities are already operating and why can´T Iran have nuclear power ? all the treaties say they can , it´s only the US and Isreal that´s getting difficult - the US reason being that Iran has oil why does it need nuclear power .
mind you statements like these do explain why so many people consider Isreal to be the biggest threat to world peace .

The F15 has a range of 5500 km's. I would think that is enough,but I could be wrong.

el Inglés said:
If the Israelis feel the need to nuke Iran, they will have a way to do it.
Will the Iranians nuke Jerusalem, which for them is a Holy City?

jhuskey said:
The F15 has a range of 5500 km's. I would think that is enough,but I could be wrong.

Bit of a tight stretch with an adequate payload. Maybe the US will loan them some B1-Bs.

FredC said:
They replaced the dead geezer with another almost identical one, with an almost identical name.
I assume Wikipedia is up to date on this blokes state of health.

Ali Khamenei

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Khamenei#searchInput
[url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/Khamenei.jpg"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/Khamenei.jpg[/url] Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Seyyed Ali Hosseini Khamenei (Persian: آیت‌الله سید علی حسینی خامنه‌ای; born July 15, 1939) is the Supreme Leader of Iran.

wheelist said:
Is this the same Israel that (denies it) holds nuclear weapons in contravention of over 30 United Nations resolutions? :confused:
Errrrrr. Probably, as well as quite a few other contraventions.

ptlwp said:

"Never Again"
Ahem, ahem. They haven't got any, have they?

Don Shipp said:
They replaced the dead geezer with another almost identical one, with an almost identical name.
I assume Wikipedia is up to date on this blokes state of health.

Ali Khamenei

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Khamenei#searchInput
[url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/Khamenei.jpg"]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/Khamenei.jpg[/url] Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Seyyed Ali Hosseini Khamenei (Persian: آیت‌الله سید علی حسینی خامنه‌ای; born July 15, 1939) is the Supreme Leader of Iran.
Is he a 'fiday'?

Carrera said:
Seems like the best way to solve a potential catastrophe would be for Bush to outline a date for full Iraqi sovereignty and pull his forces out of the Gulf, thus easing the fears of the Iranians that they will be targeted. Europe could then persuade Iran to ditch its nuclear ambitions.
As things stand, the presence of thousands of U.S. troops and heavy armour on the border of Iran (coupled with the reality of a Christian, right-wing Bush, probably scares Iran and radicalises its people).
So, I don't know whether Iran is scared of being invaded or just asking for trouble by rocking the boat in the Middle East.
The Americans help Israel in nuclear matters, so what's wrong with Russia helping Iran. Sounds fair enough to me.

el Inglés said:
Yeh, and Israel has a nuclear plant at Dimona, and it wasn't designed to produce electricity, and still doesn't.

darkboong said:
Bit of a tight stretch with an adequate payload. Maybe the US will loan them some B1-Bs.

Of course the best way to do it is to assemble the parts at various places inside a country and arm them shortly before detonation.
They can be shielded in lead to thwart detection. No planes and no rockets needed and immediate delivery of the payload.

FredC said:
Yeh, and Israel has a nuclear plant at Dimona, and it wasn't designed to produce electricity, and still doesn't.

Oh ye of little faith... Next you will be telling me that Sellafield's primary function is making shitloads of bomb grade nuclear isotopes.