Winter Gloves

Drinky

Guest
Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold and rain?

Many thanks,

Mark

"Drinky" <[email protected]> writes:
>Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
>and rain?

A pair of seal skinz gloves over the top of whatever your preferred normal gloves are? That's what I
did last winter. The seal skinz have no padding of their own like normal biking gloves, so without
the underneath pair my hands got sore. I also have had awful trouble finding any suitable
full-fingered gloves for myself, so I wore my fingerless under my seal skinz and that worked well,
although my fingers would still get a bit cold on long night rides.

Last weekend, however, I found the first pair of full-fingered gloves to meet my requirements! I
have a problem with the seams you get at the ends of the fingers on cycling gloves. For some insane
reason, all manufacturers seem to think it's perfectly fine to end the top and bottom of each glove
at each finger with usually a third piece of material there as well, so you end up with two really
fat seams at the end of each finger which give me blisters! Cannondale have a pair of thin leather
biking gloves which have a single piece of material over the end of each finger and no seams! They
set me back a staggering 40 quid, but I can't wait to try them.

Back on the winter gloves thing, though, i've used motorbike gloves with the fleecy inner and
waterproof outer before now, and although there is a slight loss of grip and flexibility (and
complete inability to get anything out of your camelback with them on) they are very warm and dry.

Claire
--
Still prettiest by far.

Drinky <[email protected]> wrote:
: Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
: and rain?

No. Which is negative, but is my experience.

If you want something that will keep you warm and dry for a 10-15 mins commute, then I can recomend
some gloves (have to go home and look what they are mind!), but I've never found anything that is
really good for a long day ride.

I've settled for some thinsulate gloves - my hands get wet, but not too cold. Cheap too.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

Arthur Clune wrote:

> Drinky <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
> : and rain?
>
> No. Which is negative, but is my experience.

It's my experience also

> I've settled for some thinsulate gloves - my hands get wet, but not too cold. Cheap too.

I use some Specialized Equinox gloves which are fairly basic thinsulate gloves with a nice gel
padding on your palm and a good amount of grippy stuff(tm) on the fingers. They keep my hands pretty
warm and dry, but if it's chucking it down then your hands will get wet. At least they dry out
quickly on the radiator at work.

The problem I have with most gloves is that they are designed for people with short fingers. Since I
have pretty long fingers, I end up having to buy XL sized gloves to get the finger length but end up
with a baggy glove in the hand area.

Oops, yet another negative post. Must think of something positive to contribute...
--
Giles Paterson

[to reply, replace nospam with my first name]

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
> and rain?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mark

Do a Google search on Chiba gloves. I have the Drystar and never had cold hands last winter although
they do saturate in a real downpour KC

Assos Isotex gloves. More than half-decent, though - they are 'totally decent'. £30 a pair, though.

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
> and rain?

When it gets cold I use a pair of fleecy gloves, then as it gets colder I use a pair of walking
mitts (big things, a 'waterproof' shell with a thick furry lining), and when it's really cold (iced
up beard temperature) I put both pairs on.

I don't get cold hands...

cheers, clive

Drinky wrote:

> Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
> and rain?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mark

I have a pair of these gore bike-wear gloves. https://www.gorebikewear.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servle-
t/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=10026&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10002

I use silk inner's with them to cut down on washing. They are the closest I have found to what
you describe.

davep

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter
gloves that provide ) comfort in the cold and rain?

I use a fine pair of fleece-and-thinsulate-and-leather motorcycling gauntlets, softened and
weatherproofed with dubbin. They're also bright red with white finger backs and reflective knuckles,
and come almost half way up my forearms, which means I can pass myself off as a bemused wicketkeeper
on those fine warm lunchtimes when I find myself cycling in shirtsleeves and heavy motorcycling
gauntlets. In many ways I am a bemused wicketkeeper, but that is another story.

They are huge, and wonderful.

Sadly, when I bought them they were the very last pair of red gauntlets in the bottom of a box that
had been made to order for Oxford Motorcycles, so they may have become irreplaceable.

Boxes of sale gloves at motorcycle shops are a useful source of lightweight summer gloves too, if
you have a fondness for leather and dubbin.

Drinky wrote:
> Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
> and rain?

Pearl Izumi lobster gloves. Never been other than toasty warm in them.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote

> Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
> and rain?

Any cheap woollen gloves for warmth and Marigold washing up gloves over the top to keep the rain
and wind out?

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

: Pearl Izumi lobster gloves. Never been other than toasty warm in them.

I have some of these (or at least the non-lobster version) having checked.

They are v. good but too warm for anything except very cold weather/short commutes and not
waterproof (though they will keep most stuff out).

Arthur

--

"Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
> > and rain?
>
> Any cheap woollen gloves for warmth and Marigold washing up gloves over
the
> top to keep the rain and wind out?

Tell me your kidding!

Graham

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:47:33 +0000 (UTC), "Drinky" <[email protected]> in
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
>and rain?
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Mark

Neoprene gloves I find are comfy. They are the "warm when wet" type of glove and so are totally
useless in "dry but cold" conditions.

They also make your hands stink.
--
A hippy goes up to a burger bar and asks the vendor, "Make me one with everything"

Stop sleeping to email me.

In message <[email protected]>, Graham <[email protected]> writes

>"Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> > Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold and
>> > rain?
>>
>> Any cheap woollen gloves for warmth and Marigold washing up gloves over
>the
>> top to keep the rain and wind out?
>>

> Tell me your kidding!

No indeed, it works well,

I've not done it while cycling, but I've uses the trick while riding a motorbike in winter rains
with leather gloves that weren't up to all the rain.
--
Chris French, Leeds

In news:[email protected], Drinky <[email protected]> expounded
sagaciously:
> Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold
> and rain?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Mark

Half decent? How about one third decent? I wear some suede-palmed cotton backed cheap gardening
gloves, with a pair of thinsulate cheap thin knitted ones inside. When it gets colder, I use another
pair of thin cotton gardening gloves inside those, or sometimes another thin knitted pair instead.
It takes quite a long time for rain to get through all three, and it's quite warm water by the time
it gets there. Also, in rain in winter I wear a cape of the old-fashioned kind, which covers my
hands on the bars anyway. I tried some waterproof gloves. Nice and warm, so warm that my hands
sweated, and were wetter than in the five quid combination I describe above. Thinsulate are doing
some thicker suede-faced gardening gloves which I might try this winter, but I do like the
adjustability of my present multi-layer approach.
--

Martin Bulmer

Pie Conservation Threat

"Neil Salter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Assos Isotex gloves. More than half-decent, though - they are 'totally decent'. £30 a
> pair, though.

Altura version -ish of the above available for about 1/2 the price. Excellent, only problem
they can get too hot! for mild English rainy winters only. ps several versions avaliable; mine
are sympatex

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:00:48 UTC, "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > > Can someone recommend a half decent pair of winter gloves that provide comfort in the cold and
> > > rain?
> >
> > Any cheap woollen gloves for warmth and Marigold washing up gloves over
> the
> > top to keep the rain and wind out?
> >

> Tell me your kidding!
>
> Graham

Works a treat actually. Of course you have to chose the colour of the Marigolds carefully to
coordinate with your outfit. Failing that use those surgeon type latex gloves, but they don't have
the grip nor the staying power of the Marigolds.

FWIW many motorists who can't see you when you are wearing fluorescent day-glo bright colours, can
spot (and laugh at) a pair of Marigolds from 100 yards away!

--
Tina Eager

"Tina Eager" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:00:48 UTC, "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote

> > > Any cheap woollen gloves for warmth and Marigold washing up gloves
over
> > the
> > > top to keep the rain and wind out?
> > >

> > Tell me your kidding!
> >
> > Graham
> >
> Works a treat actually. Of course you have to chose the colour of the Marigolds carefully to
> coordinate with your outfit. Failing that use those surgeon type latex gloves, but they don't have
> the grip nor the staying power of the Marigolds.
>
> FWIW many motorists who can't see you when you are wearing fluorescent day-glo bright colours, can
> spot (and laugh at) a pair of Marigolds from 100 yards away!

How the hell do you get a pair of Marigolds that you can get a pair of woolly gloves underneath?

(No, I don't have hands like a gorilla.