{Worldwide} BikeBUS - Bike BUG for Commuters

rooman

Mar 11, 2005
NOW FOR SOME CREATIVE ATTITUDE

I like the idea of a "bicycle bus", where commuting cyclists build up their group as they ride a regular route, at a regular time and have safety in numbers and "stop"at scheduled places and times on route between their start point and destination. It is a valid approach to a cummuting dilemna for many and would bring many more cyclists onto the road as commuters...

OK who is going to start their bus?...we need a BusBUG perhaps...but it makes sense and will revolutionise bike/motorists interaction and make darn sure that the pollies and other head-in-sand decision makers have to work harder to improve road safety and driver attitudes and behaviour.....because it is so darn obvious and so darn beneficial to increasing cycling numbers and reducing motorised road traffic.

Slow Bus, Express Bus, Shopping Bus, School Bus, WetBus, RoadieBus, Hybrid Bus, LateBus, BroomWagon...all valid, all have a place and across Melbourne could be filled on all the major ( and minor) commuting routes...

I dont ride to the city to commute to work ( I walk in my slippers from the kitchen to my home office with java in hand) but I would certainly do this Bus trip daily from Beaumaris to Southbank every day of Mon to Fri ( I need the workout and it would add 72klms daily to my weekly training (2x36klm per day)...

Route 1 : Beach Road express Bus:

Timetable Weekdays except Pub Hols:

Dep 7-30 Black Rock LeKnicks arrive Southbank Eureka Tower 8-15am...(back at Black Rock at 9 to clock in) -after shower and a juice of course!
Afternoon Bus, depart 5:30 Eureka, Arrice 6:15pm at Black Rock.

what say you...anyone...anyone?...Bueller???

What about other routes ??
Route 2: Dingley Vill to St Kilda,
Route 3: Baldwin to Carlton
Route 4: a)Werribee to Footscray (pheeeeuw)
b)Footscray to Swanston Street mall
Route 5: Mt Waverly to East Melbourne
Route 6: Bell Street, Coburg to University
and a Country Express Route "B-Line" - Sunshine or Bulla to Essendon Pick Up Route 3:b)

ah, we could put Metlink out of business, better still get a subsidy from Bracksie for shower facillities and secure parking at CBD locations..lots of room in Flinders Street Station's cavernous building to do this easily...and other half used city public buildings...

go team...you got homework!!

(PS: I decided this needed a Thread of its own, so its copied here...
what say you commuters across the world..this isnt just for Melbourne, it exists already in some very innovative and practical groups, and it is a solution to bringing confidence to cyclist who dont like to commute without others to share visibility and presence on the road...)

a good idea
perhaps it 'may' depend upon your target market.
IE are you thinking a gathering of 'regualrs' or experienced peoplez or attracting newbies. The latter could/would require a different approach?

rooman said:
Route 5: Mt Waverly to East Melbourne

I think that one already exists..... can't remember the details cos it's too late for my morning commute.... but I'd say that they're an express service....

flyingdutch said:
a good idea
perhaps it 'may' depend upon your target market.
IE are you thinking a gathering of 'regualrs' or experienced peoplez or attracting newbies. The latter could/would require a different approach?
the regulars could easily organise their "service times", if there was a place to put them (BikeBUS/B-Line timetables) up it would help, (maybe a Blogg, or even somewhere on WoJ as a sub section for Commuting Safety and Services)

newbies will come out of the woodwork, not so much target market being differentiated, as the market is the general cycling population present, past and future...have a listprocess to circulate to workplace BUGs, ( we have the list), cycling clubs, BV forums and other places...

BV has a Commuter forum now, havnt seen this type of thread yet...but maybe today if I have time it can go up...or someone feel free to copy this thread initial post and slot it in there for discussion and response and hopefully a momentum build to the concept for Melbourne as a start.

We can all do our bit...cycling safety is about proactive, positive steps to encourage more riders and more often Commute BUGs, BusBUGs/B-Line Routes and Timetables are all that and more... but it is a grass roots statement by cyclists that they care about safety and are doing something about it thatimpacts on their lives daily....

Fiona from MASSBUG does something pretty similar, this would be great for newbies & those wanting a more social ride. There's certainly potential in Melbourne, Brisbane, Adeliade etc for stuff like this.

MASSBUG: Marrickville/Newtown to City
http://www.massbug.org.au/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/MASSBUG/BikeBus
What is a bike bus? A bike bus is a small group of people who ride to work together each day, for sociability and safety. We ride legally, taking a lane and riding two-abreast. We ride quieter back streets for most of the way, until we reach the CBD. The bike bus has a set route and timetable where it picks up and drops off "passengers". We ride at a social pace (average 15kph) so we can chat.

Another idea - link up the potential BikeBUS with Bikely so everyone knows the planned route + add in info like departure times, particular road conditions etc.

Another idea - link up the potential BikeBUS with Bikely so everyone knows the planned route + add in info like departure times, particular road conditions etc.

a brisbane bikebus would be ideal! ive noticed more and more people are starting to cycle to work and uni, and quite a few of them seem a little "shakey"... safety in numbers is a big plus!

id be up for a few bikebusses per week (monday/wednesday/thursday) from the gap/ashgrove area into the city and back...

a brisbane bikebus would be ideal! ive noticed more and more people are starting to cycle to work and uni, and quite a few of them seem a little "shakey"... safety in numbers is a big plus!

id be up for a few bikebusses per week (monday/wednesday/thursday) from the gap/ashgrove area into the city and back...

looks like we are getting great input for structure suggestions and working models...great keep it up

Bikely is essential for time table bus stop points and routes...
WoJ Commuter page outlining links to each City's BikeBUS arrangements and
each route have a plan co-ordinator to monitor, help revise and encourage...

more input more input no5 is "alive"

looks like we are getting great input for structure suggestions and working models...great keep it up

Bikely is essential for time table bus stop points and routes...
WoJ Commuter page outlining links to each City's BikeBUS arrangements and
each route have a plan co-ordinator to monitor, help revise and encourage...

more input more input no5 is "alive"

Well to cut and paste what I said in the other thread:

Werribee to Footscray to Swanston in the morning, Mon-Fri is a possibility for me. Actually, it would be Footscray-Werribee-Footscray-Swanston, then after second breakfast, CBD-East Kew in the late morning, but I doubt there'd be much demand for that bit. This is potentially a really good idea...we could organise a centralised list, hell, I'll do it. If people put their hands up for busses in the Melbourne area, we can organise timetables and then work out where to post them. Having it centralised so that people can find it and make use of it would be a good thing. On the WOJ site, maybe convince the webmaster for BV to stick it up somewhere etc.

Resound said:
On the WOJ site, maybe convince the webmaster for BV to stick it up somewhere etc.

We can put it either on the WoJ or the YarraBUG sites. And make sure we all share the info around.

Resound said:
On the WOJ site, maybe convince the webmaster for BV to stick it up somewhere etc.

We can put it either on the WoJ or the YarraBUG sites. And make sure we all share the info around.

Resound said:

Werribee to Footscray to Swanston in the morning, Mon-Fri is a possibility for me. Actually, it would be Footscray-Werribee-Footscray-Swanston, then after second breakfast, CBD-East Kew in the late morning, but I doubt there'd be much demand for that bit. This is potentially a really good idea...we could organise a centralised list, hell, I'll do it. If people put their hands up for busses in the Melbourne area, we can organise timetables and then work out where to post them. Having it centralised so that people can find it and make use of it would be a good thing. On the WOJ site, maybe convince the webmaster for BV to stick it up somewhere etc.
not on BV's web pages please...at this stage anyway...down the track maybe..let's get it right first and then share to all ...no reason why it cant be aired in the BV forums tho'... and if BV decides to run with it fine for BV and BV's members , as trhis is for all cyclists who commute or want to join the bus..... but not all commuters are BV members or want to be..

Resound said:

not on BV's web pages please...at this stage anyway...down the track maybe..let's get it right first and then share to all ...no reason why it cant be aired in the BV forums tho'... and if BV decides to run with it fine for BV and BV's members , as trhis is for all cyclists who commute or want to join the bus..... but not all commuters are BV members or want to be..