yet another compact crank question

Jim Weeks

Guest
so I too, am thinking of putting a set of compact cranks on my wife's bike.
She currently has a Shimano Sora/Tiagra triple setup. I think I remember
reading that using triple shifters vs double's work better with the compact
setup because of the difference in the sprocket spacing. Any truth to this
or am I going to have to replace the shifters and derailluer as well? Which
spawns another question, since it is Sora/Tiagra would she be better off
moving this whole thing to 105.. and if so whats that gonna cost me?

Thanks In Advance

Jim Weeks
Austin, Tx

Jim Weeks wrote:

> so I too, am thinking of putting a set of compact cranks on my wife's bike.
> She currently has a Shimano Sora/Tiagra triple setup. I think I remember
> reading that using triple shifters vs double's work better with the compact
> setup because of the difference in the sprocket spacing. Any truth to this

No. Spacing is the same.

> or am I going to have to replace the shifters and derailluer as well?

No. You'll need a crank and possibly a bottom bracket, nothing else.

> Which spawns another question, since it is Sora/Tiagra would she be better off
> moving this whole thing to 105..

No. The only advantage to that would be a slight weight saving. I
don't like the 105 brifters as much as Sora...if only Sora came in 9-speed!

I must say it's not clear to me why you wish to downgrade her bike from
a triple to a double...what improvement do you imagine will result from
this? If it ain't broke...

Sheldon "Thrifty" Brown
+-----------------------------------+
| Fashion exists for those people |
| who have no style of their own. |
| --John Moore |
+-----------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

jweeks-<< I think I remember
reading that using triple shifters vs double's work better with the compact
setup because of the difference in the sprocket spacing. Any truth to this
or am I going to have to replace the shifters and derailluer as well?
>><BR><BR>

Considering that all triple shifters are also double, it really doesn't make
any difference.

Just put a compact on with the appropriate BB, adjust the front der(double or
triple) and go ride.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Hmmmm.
Peter,
Do you mean to say I can go from a full Ultegra triple set-up, with a
Dura Ace RD, to a compact double only by swapping out the BB? I am
intrigued :)

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> jweeks-<< I think I remember
> reading that using triple shifters vs double's work better with the compact
> setup because of the difference in the sprocket spacing. Any truth to this
> or am I going to have to replace the shifters and derailluer as well?
>
>>><BR><BR>

> Considering that all triple shifters are also double, it really doesn't make
> any difference.
>
> Just put a compact on with the appropriate BB, adjust the front der(double or
> triple) and go ride.
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

specialized-<< Do you mean to say I can go from a full Ultegra triple set-up,
with a
Dura Ace RD, to a compact double only by swapping out the BB? I am
intrigued :) >><BR><BR>

yessir-just the crank and BB.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria