Your favorite beginner road bike?

BeginnerCycling said:
To you, what is the biggest difference -- smoother shifting, lower weight, etc.?

Shifter feel and smoother shifting, lower weight is just the cherry on top.

I also like the dual lever set up on higher end group sets like the 105 to dura ace and sram double tap set up over the 2200/sora/capy style shifters.

you know nowadays prebuilt brand bikes are pretty good, just start from Shimano 105 - or equivalent - upwards,

its like modern day PC's, its difficult to get a bad deal, standards are leveling upwards due to harsh competition and low chinese labor costs for example.

lugee said:
Shifter feel and smoother shifting, lower weight is just the cherry on top.

I also like the dual lever set up on higher end group sets like the 105 to dura ace and sram double tap set up over the 2200/sora/capy style shifters.

Thanks for the reply. I could definitely see room for improvement in the Sora shifting system. Howver, given the usual price differences, I think Sora is still a decent choice for the budget-sensitive beginner -- beats most of the department store bikes!

This is a good thread its always good to see what people say about different bikes. Out of that list I like the Cannondale and the Bianchi. Finding the used. Yeah you kind of have to just watch for as long as it takes until something comes up.

That was almost six years ago, JS. Bikes have changed a lot since then.