Your favourite meal/recipe?

Lester Loh said:
Hey guys, what about food that boost your energy level before/after ride?

I would say pasta and potatoes give me the real energy booster before ride and of course energy drinks for recovery after ride. What say you??
Pasta and rice with anything the night before or 3 hours before a ride is good. Energy drinks during ride. and a big fat juicey recovery steak with all the trimmings afterwards after a long ride
biggrin.gif
!!!
The exotic delicacies are optional.

Powerful Pete said:
Ah, I miss Thailand and Thai food... :)

Having said that, obviously my favorite meal would be Italian... :p

Appetizer: Antipasto misto all'Italiana (mixed antipasto - vegetables, different types of salami, prosciutto, foccacia, etc).

First course: Spaghetti alla Gricia (Matriciana without tomato sauce, traditional Roman dish)

Second course: Saltimbocca alla Romana (veal, made in a white wine sauce with small pieces of prosciutto cooked on top)

Vegetable side dish: Broccoletti ripassati (Roman broccoli - smaller and more bitter than other types, made in a saucepan with butter and chili)

A good red wine, of course, preferably a Southern one... Nero d'Avola or a Primitivo. :D

Of course, a small, light and airy tiramisu' for desert.

Hhhhmmmm, this is a usual Sunday lunch for me. Then I wonder why I cannot climb with the best of 'em... :eek:
Hey Pete, how many K's do you need to ride to burn that lot off ?

BTW Italian foood quite popular in Sydney - large italian community here.

mikesbytes said:

BTW Italian foood quite popular in Sydney - large italian community here.

Well that takes some topping!

Kind regards,

we do have some of the best from all cuisines in Sydney Also some good Spanish also a huge selection of Asian.
biggrin.gif

Rockslayer said:
we do have some of the best from all cuisines in Sydney Also some good Spanish also a huge selection of Asian.
biggrin.gif

Rock,

We are very lucky. In some respects we have better food than the originals, largely because of the quality of the ingredients.

Kind regards,

mikesbytes said:
I would not know. I have not succeeded in burning it off. Let us just say that I am an excellent downhiller... :D

Powerful Pete said:
I would not know. I have not succeeded in burning it off. Let us just say that I am an excellent downhiller... :D

PP,

Just remember by coasting down hill, you are just converting the potential energy you burned going up, back into kinetic energy due to your downhill speed! :) Excellent down hiller or not you are still burning it off.

To become an excellent down hiller you need lots of practice going down hill, which needs in turn lots of time riding up hill also, that is unless somebody else assists in that regard.

Kind regards,

James Bruce Gil said:
PP,

Just remember by coasting down hill, you are just converting the potential energy you burned going up, back into kinetic energy due to your downhill speed! :) Excellent down hiller or not you are still burning it off.

To become an excellent down hiller you need lots of practice going down hill, which needs in turn lots of time riding up hill also, that is unless somebody else assists in that regard.

Kind regards,
LOL, fair enough. Let us say then that I am focussing on the flatter bike paths, due to my not inconsequential difficulty in winning the forces of gravity on uphills...

Wow - reading all of these really makes me hungry! I'm just trying to figure out how to fit a big Italian meal into my day!

I'm vegetarian (always have been), so my favorite meal would be a big plate of pasta with lot of herbs and vegetables and olive oil. Bread with dipping oils and balsamic Vinegar, a large mixed green salad...

For dessert, something lemon (lemon cloud from Macaroni Grill :) and a capuccino.

Yum!

Any 16 oz. steak, tender, medium rare, lean. With steamed veggie's and 2 glasses of Merlot. EXACTLY what I ate out (her too :D ) with the girl last night. Only every couple weeks for optimal enjoyment.

Induray said:
I mispelled it. It's Yuengling (do you blame me?). The funny thing is that it is an American beer! (I first thought it was oriental). Their lager is quite good.
I am interested in trying that Stella Artois that MountainPro was mentioning about. Is a Belgian beer.
Brewed right here in PA. Really the only cheap beer I will drink.

Not a Stella fan either, per se, but love the Belgians.

taylor.vaughn said:
Buffalo Wings are actually whole chicken wings split to make smaller pieces, then deep fried and tossed in hot sauce and served with celery and bleu cheese dressing. They originated in Buffalo, New York, hence the name. TGI Friday's is a chain restaurant here in the states.
...at a place called Frank and Theresa's Anchor Bar. Been there, done that. Great wings. If you go to Niagara Falls, gotta go to the Anchor.

fiend said:
Moules et frites would have to top my list.

Preferably having the mussles in some sort of coconut milk based thai sauce, and the fries cut fresh and smothered in mayo!

For dessert: a glass of Gulden Draak beer. If you've had it, then you'd understand.
I've had it, I understand.

Gotta love the barleywines!

limerickman said:
I was just wondering what folks favourite dish, might be?
What I mean is, if you had the choice of your favourite dish - what would that be?

I'll kick the topic off by saying that although I like dishes with steak, dishes with turkey and ham, dishes of roast beef, but my favourite meal would have to be Italian.

My preferred dish would be lasangne and/or tagliatelli.
So the ideal meal would be - location : native Italian restaurant : appetisser : caesar salad : main course : lasange/tagliatelli with garlic bread and olive oil, washed down by a nice house white wine : dessert : gelatto (ice cream) followed by copious amounts of coffee.

What's yours?
Big, juicy T-bone steak and baked potato.

Risotto with parmigiana reggiano and lots of freshly picked morel mushrooms. God, I love morels.

Homemade chicken and dumpling soup...
Thai curry, especially with pumpkin---yum. On second thought pretty much any curry.

Oh, and gravy...lots and lots of gravy. On potatoes, meat, rice, jello :eek: Just seeing if you're still paying attention!

Chili Pepper said:
Risotto with parmigiana reggiano and lots of freshly picked morel mushrooms. God, I love morels.

Homemade chicken and dumpling soup...
Thai curry, especially with pumpkin---yum. On second thought pretty much any curry.

Oh, and gravy...lots and lots of gravy. On potatoes, meat, rice, jello :eek: Just seeing if you're still paying attention!

CP,

I agree with most things, but gravy on jelly....oops (jello in the US)?

Some recipes?

And yes I'm still awake, though only half awake! :eek:

Kind regards,

definitely a Butlin!!!

Ingredients:
One bread cake
One can mushy peas (preferably Batchelors Mushy Peas - Original)
Bisto Gravy

Method:
1. Heat the bread cake in a preheated oven, gas mark 6 (200C) for 5 mins.
2.Whilst doing this, cook the peas in a microwave as directed on the can.
3. Remove the bread cake from the oven, pour over the hot peas.
4. Top off with gravy to taste.
5. Enjoy!
Mmmmmmmmmmm!

butlinme1.jpg