Your Worst Crash

My worst crash to date happened yesterday. I was racing at WVU, coming down a very fast and technical descent. I was banking hard left and hit a spot of gravel, making a slide on the pavement. I have some nasty road rash on the left side of my body (knee, lower leg, hip, elbow) but it could have been worse. Luckily, my bike wasn't seriously damaged.

Tmax1 said:
Three weeks ago. On a century ride. Mile 14. We were in a "modified" double pace line. I was about mid-pack.

Some guy in front (supposedly an experienced rider) had his blinky light come off. And at 25 mph., stopped.

Dominoes. Eight bikes down. I ran over the seventh, did the classic endo, landed on my shoulder. Sat there a minute, felt no collar bone broken. Dizzy, headache. My buds tried to get me to SAG back. I said I'll make it to the first SAG stop. I was in increasing pain.

By the 5th and final SAG stop I could hardly get off my bike. At 70 miles I could go no further. Or make many movements.

No road rash but after xrays it was determined I had two broken ribs, right underneath the shoulder bones. Bent derailluer hanger and assorted scratches on the bike.

I'll be off the bike a couple more weeks.

The good news is the guy who stopped got his blinky light back.

Watch out while close riding.
Hmm, had a couple but the worst was in 2001 when I put my head down and was flying through this intersection and when I looked up a car in front slowed down to make a right hand turn. I braked and tried to go around him to the left but slammed into the left side of rear bumper and flipped upside down over the corner of the vehicle. Came down on my head and shoulder with bike still attached. Could not move, could not hear, could not think - head was numb and took a minute to get my bearings. Cracked helmet, scrapes to face, body, and dislocated left shoulder. Many people stopped except for the car I hit. Eventually got on my bike and rode the approximately 15 miles to my home, had trouble getting undressed, took a shower :D, and then called someone to take me to the hospital. Shoulder is still messed up but I still ride and have not gone down since. Man, it still hurts thinking about it!

I'll bite. I have a lot of cracked helmets and such but those crashes tend to be less spectacular and more hurt. I hate hurt.

On that note, this is my spectacular crash.

A long read but overall nothing bad really happened.

Enjoy,
cdr

carpediemracing said:
I'll bite. I have a lot of cracked helmets and such but those crashes tend to be less spectacular and more hurt. I hate hurt.

On that note, this is my spectacular crash.

A long read but overall nothing bad really happened.

Enjoy,
cdr
Really enjoyed reading that one! good job on the blog. Sounds like it was 1 hell of a day for you lol.

Happened friday the 13th (lol) in april... My bike has the downtube shifters and (had) strapless toe clips... I was doing a bit of a sprint coming out of a corner, went to shift while still out of the saddle...

The bike jumped forward an extra gear (turns out the part where the shifter cable goes around the bottom bracket was full of gunk from the winter of riding - which seems as though causes the bike to auto shift), left foot slid out of the pedal, I tried to lift my foot back up... nope... Went down with my arms still on the drops...

The one bone in my left fore-arm bent around the top of the bars, severe road rash on my chin, left knee, right palm (had the skin torn out) and really bad road rash on the left fore-arm right around where it broke (down to the bone where the break was).

Arms still a bit screwed up... but I've got like 98% of the function out of it so there's no way I'm letting the doc's touch my arm to try and fix it.

Only damage to the bike was a somewhat bent handle bar and screwed up handle bar tape... Riding it now and haven't replaced either, but switched to toe clips with straps so my feet can't fall out (well not as easily), and took care of the auto shift problem. Also, now I never shift while out of the saddle, always always sit.

AFTER A 60 MILE FAST 25+ RIDE, WHEN IM READY TO WAVE BYE TO THE PELOTON i HIT A ROAD REFLECTOR WHILE HOLDING THE HANDLE BAR WITH ONE HAND AND WAVING BYE WITH THE OTHER, RESULT NEED A NEW FRAME AND ................................................................. http://owebmail.bellsouth.net/agent/mobmain/daddy_003.jpg?fold=INBOX&msgvw=AHIACwAnABUAJAAAADoABAADAGIABwAmABIAIAB7AH8AcwBQAH0ABgBs&part=4&FileName=daddy_003.jpg

Decided to bump since a similar post just went up asking for the same information.

hello all,

Was cleaning my bike after a week of rain and was just about done when wiping down the chain my middle finger suddenly got pulled in between the chain and rear cog and because my bike is a fixie and the wheel was spinning pretty fast my finger was crunched to the bone.

a lovely night spent in the emergency department, lots of drugs and plastic surgery

at least the bike is nice and clean (pity i cant ride it cause my whole hand is in a cast)

SO! anyone else have some gruesome or interesting injuries from bicycles?

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

May you and your finger heal up soon. Ride on.