Yucky question

Caden

Jun 30, 2006
Without going into too much detail, I participated in a tri relay team as the cyclist (45km, hilly) and this was my first competitive event. I went through two larger bike-bottles of water mixed with Electrolyte Stamina (an orange-flavored powder in a packet) and then afterwards had a couple small bottles of Vitamin Water (hey, it was free).

Well, I developed a "problem" within a couple hours after. Let's just say fluids wanted to leave by a non-preferred route and I had to hit the Imodium seriously.

Anyone had this "issue"?

Had you ever used either products before? If not, you now know your body doesn't react well to them. From here, I'd only use products you have used in your training and you know your system can handle. If you want t make a change, race day isn't the time, regardless of the cost - or lack there of. Sorry to hear of your GI distress. . that is never fun regardless of the reason.

Oh, yes. Been there, done that... and I can only agree with previous speaker - always try eating everything you plan having with you on a race before the race.

I've had the same unpleasant reaction (although only on a training) with a power bar. After some further testing I now know that I do not react well with the sweetener maltitol (don't ask me why they have put this crappy calorie reduced sugar alcohol in a sports bar).

Try testing drinks and food under as real conditions as possible coz not only what you eat affects the digestive system but also the physical activity itself.

Yep! on a multiday cycle i started using a different liqued formula and i had to cut the ride short due to the runs.From that i learnt to ease into new additives.