03 Specialized Allez Sport Cranks

bergjm

Jul 26, 2004
I have a Specialized Allez Sport that is about 15 or 16 months old and the crank on the drivetrain side has developed cracks where it meets the ring spider on both sides. Has anyone else had this problem with this bike? If others are having this problem with this bike, I will probably look into replacing it with something other than the Specialized crank.

Thanks.

John

bergjm said:
I have a Specialized Allez Sport that is about 15 or 16 months old and the crank on the drivetrain side has developed cracks where it meets the ring spider on both sides. Has anyone else had this problem with this bike? If others are having this problem with this bike, I will probably look into replacing it with something other than the Specialized crank.

Thanks.

John
I have the same bike but haven't noticed a crack in the crank. However, if something like that were to happen I wouldn't replace it with another Specialized crank. I'd go ahead and replace the low end UN-25 square taper bottom bracket for something a little better. Perhaps a 105 crankset and octalink BB or some such thing. I wouldn't replace it with Dura-Ace or anything high end as the rest of the bike doesn't justify such an expendature.

Doctor Morbius said:
I have the same bike but haven't noticed a crack in the crank. However, if something like that were to happen I wouldn't replace it with another Specialized crank. I'd go ahead and replace the low end UN-25 square taper bottom bracket for something a little better. Perhaps a 105 crankset and octalink BB or some such thing. I wouldn't replace it with Dura-Ace or anything high end as the rest of the bike doesn't justify such an expendature.
I was thinking of the 105 crankset. As you said anything higher would not be justified with the rest of the bike.

bergjm said:
I was thinking of the 105 crankset. As you said anything higher would not be justified with the rest of the bike.
That's a good choice. I've even seen Ultegra cranks selling for less at Nashbar but normally the 105s cost less. Could be because of the new 10 speed Ultegra stuff coming out.

Other than the cranks, how do you like that bike?