05 Giant OCR 1 ---OR--- Specialized ALLEZ A1 Comp

iJeffG

Apr 15, 2010
Ready to trade in my tank of a mountain bike for sleeker road bike. I've taken the challenge with a neighbor to try a century in September. This will be my first road bike.

I found the the two bikes via CL. the Giant is selling for 250 less than the Specialized.

So, being a first-timer, I figure I'd toss it the experts...Which is the better deal? I am 6'2 240#, so both bikes are the correct frame size.

Most of my rides will be unorganized fitness trips of 20-25 miles / day (after work stuff). The occasional organized event, if I enjoy the Century. I'm looking for a good deal on a bike I won't want to upgrade any time soon.

Looking forward to joining the ranks...

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

What year is the Specialized? There isn't too big of a difference between the two bikes, so make sure you take a look at both of them before you make a decision. I'm assuming since it's craigslist that they're both used so buy the one that fits better or is in better condition. If the bikes already have clipless pedals on them or new tires, parts, that's a plus.

There are also a few more factors such as handlebar width, crankarm length, and stem length, etc, that factor into the fit other than the frame. You seem like a pretty tall guy so a lot of the stock components might be kind of small...you might wanna check into a local bike shop so that you precisely know your measurements. Also, the geometry of the two frames matter but to me they look pretty similar.

It appears to be a 2002. Seems they only made the A1 Comp one year.

The Giant has (new in 08) Ultegra and 105 components. The Specialized is 100% Ultegra components

Continuing to some homework...It looks like I might need to reinforce. I weigh ~240#:eek: Plan to be a lot lighter by September...but, the Bike has to hold up until then...

Take into account with your recommendation

iJeffG said:
Take into account with your recommendation

Your weight is only an issue for your wheels and how low you want to go with climbing gears.

Look at it this way--8-year-old Ultegra vs. 2-year-old 105. Everything else being equal (Is it really?), I'm leaning toward the OCR.