11 speed 14-25 or 14-28 Shimano/Sram cassette?

finnrambo

Jun 6, 2010
Hey,
I'm a U19 racing in Canada and the USA, the biggest gear I'm allowed to run is a 52-14, and I'll be switching to Shimano 11 speed next year from my old 105 as my team gets good deals, I can't seem to find any aftermarket cassettes that come starting with a 14 tooth in 11 speed and my wheel sponsor only has Shimano/Sram compatible hubs so I can't just use Lennard Zinn's idea (I was pretty skeptical of it anyways) of just putting on a Campagnolo 11 cassette, do the Ultegra or Dura Ace cassettes come with loose cogs that I could play around with to get a 14 tooth as my lowest gear? and if so which cassettes would I need to get? if not would a normal ten speed cassette shift the same as the original 11 with a bit of adjustment? I already know it will fit on the hub with a spacer.
Thanks!, Finn

As for Shimano/SRAM 11 speed vs. Campy 11 speed, you can now use any of the three brands' cassettes with any of three brands' 11 speed shifters. The only issue of course is the freehub. A lot of hub/wheel manufacturers (although not Shimano or SRAM) offer Campy and Shimano/SRAM free hubs, so using a different brand's hub is simply a matter of getting a new freehub. There also a few hub/wheel manufacturers that have a freehub that will accept any of 2 cassette types (I've seen a few, but I can only think of Edco off hand. Perhaps someone else will chime in) As for building a 14-25 or 14-28 cassette, you might want to look at Marchisio's cassettes. They allow you to select each individual cog This is pretty nice as you only need to replace a worn out cog when the time comes rather than an entire cassette.

Looks like you're stuck with maybe running a 12-25 or 28 and screwing down the high limit screw to prevent you from shifting into the 12 or 13.

Progress, going from 10 speed 105 to 9 speed Dura Ace 9000. :p

Originally Posted by swampy1970
Looks like you're stuck with maybe running a 12-25 or 28 and screwing down the high limit screw to prevent you from shifting into the 12 or 13.

Progress, going from 10 speed 105 to 9 speed Dura Ace 9000. :p
I'll try the Marchisio cassettes alienator mentioned, if I can find out how to buy them anyways, if that doesn't work then I'll just pop a 10 speed cassette on there, 14-25 105/ultegra 10 speed is fairly easy to find, thanks for the recommendation alienator! I've never heard of that brand before, I found it odd how BBB and Miche had nothing.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

Will the 9000 work with a 10 speed cassette? I'm guessing not...
the spacing might be different but next time I'm in a shop I'll ask, if Marchisio cassettes don't work then putting a 12-28 cassette on and limiting it to the 14 isn't that big of a deal, it's too bad shimano doesn't make 11s junior cassettes, there is a market for it, all the juniors I race with seem to be on ultegra and looking to upgrade to 6800 with a few already on red/force 22, hopefully 105 will go 11 soon as well, that's just about everyone's learn to race gruppo

I am a distributor for Miche. Miche is one of the oldest cycling components manufacturers on the planet and everything is Made in Italy.

We can supply junior cassettes in whatever ratio you need.

Many of the top Junior racers in the US are already riding Miche Primato cassettes in 11v Shimano/SRAM configuration.

You can find links to buy on Ebay, or contact me via my website at www.tartanian.com

Originally Posted by Tartanian
I am a distributor for Miche. Miche is one of the oldest cycling components manufacturers on the planet and everything is Made in Italy.

We can supply junior cassettes in whatever ratio you need.

Many of the top Junior racers in the US are already riding Miche Primato cassettes in 11v Shimano/SRAM configuration.

You can find links to buy on Ebay, or contact me via my website at www.tartanian.com
Thanks! I decided on using sram force for my junior years so I'll be using Ultegra 6600 cassettes but thanks anyway, I wasn't aware Miche had junior cassettes in 11.

I have had the same problem, as the coach of a large Juniors cycling team. Locking out gears works, BUT something everyone should know here, is that USAC Amateur Cycling Nationals does not allow locked out gears.
Some of my kids are now running Ultegra 11 speed, so we got a Dura Ace 12-28 11 speed cassette, and ordered a 44 tooth Zephr Front chain ring, with a 110BCD. We ordered it from Harris Cyclery. Works great and works for CX too!
Thanks to Tartanian though, as I will now look into the Miche cassettes.

Trey

I know you ordered a Miche 14-27 from me. It would be great if you could post some feedback on how it has worked for you.

Hey folks

We now have also got Primato Light in stock - 12% lighter, a little more expensive. Also a lot of juniors at the higher performance end are chosing the Miche Supertype cassette which is a fantastic race day cassette, and even with all the extra metal in a 14-27 or 14-28 comes in very light.

Good news, good news! Shimano is now making 14-28 ultegra 6800 cassettes! I bought a miche cassette and it gave me the worst shifting I have ever seen, sorry but I am never going back. So yah, after a year of loosing races due to bad shifting Shimano has finally made a junior cassette. If you couldn't tell I'm really happy about this! :lol: :D

Hey jakecycle

Can you help me understand what you mean by bad shifting and why you think that would be the Miche cassette causing it?

The top junior riders in the US all are using Miche products and winning races and team of the year prizes on Miche, no problem (I'd be happy to introduce you to their team manager for proof).

2015 has seen us introduce a new lighter cassette though.

In addition did you actually get your hands on a Shimano 14-28? Thanks