1898 kick stand

I long to see a picture of this fearsome beast from 1898:

"A unique bicycle support is attached to the side plate of one of the
pedals, where it is inconspicuous, but may be put in operation by the
touch of the foot. It weighs only three and a half pounds and folds up
and under the foot so as to be out of the way and out of sight when
the wheel is in use. It consists of a lever attached to and folding
along the edge of the pedal. Kicking a small button with the foot
releases the lever, which falls down and is strengthened by a jointed
truss. It supports the wheel at an angle of about 5 degrees. When
kicked with the foot again the lever flies back."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A01E3DF1438E433A25757C1A96E9C94699ED7CF

An "inconspicuous" 3.5 lb spring-loaded extending-stand attached to
one pedal--ye gods!

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:13:23 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>I long to see a picture of this fearsome beast from 1898:
>
>"A unique bicycle support is attached to the side plate of one of the
>pedals, where it is inconspicuous, but may be put in operation by the
>touch of the foot. It weighs only three and a half pounds and folds up
>and under the foot so as to be out of the way and out of sight when
>the wheel is in use. It consists of a lever attached to and folding
>along the edge of the pedal. Kicking a small button with the foot
>releases the lever, which falls down and is strengthened by a jointed
>truss. It supports the wheel at an angle of about 5 degrees. When
>kicked with the foot again the lever flies back."
>

>http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A01E3DF1438E433A25757C1A96E9C94699ED7CF
>
>An "inconspicuous" 3.5 lb spring-loaded extending-stand attached to
>one pedal--ye gods!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

This isn't it, but it's an odd enough center stand to be worth a peek:

http://i23.tinypic.com/33b0kti.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:39:52 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:13:23 -0600, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I long to see a picture of this fearsome beast from 1898:
>>
>>"A unique bicycle support is attached to the side plate of one of the
>>pedals, where it is inconspicuous, but may be put in operation by the
>>touch of the foot. It weighs only three and a half pounds and folds up
>>and under the foot so as to be out of the way and out of sight when
>>the wheel is in use. It consists of a lever attached to and folding
>>along the edge of the pedal. Kicking a small button with the foot
>>releases the lever, which falls down and is strengthened by a jointed
>>truss. It supports the wheel at an angle of about 5 degrees. When
>>kicked with the foot again the lever flies back."
>>

>>http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A01E3DF1438E433A25757C1A96E9C94699ED7CF
>>
>>An "inconspicuous" 3.5 lb spring-loaded extending-stand attached to
>>one pedal--ye gods!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Carl Fogel

>This isn't it, but it's an odd enough center stand to be worth a peek:
>
> http://i23.tinypic.com/33b0kti.jpg
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

This is close to the weird kick stand that I'm looking for, but it's
not attached to the pedal:

http://i22.tinypic.com/11j3fqd.jpg

Still, it's fairly Rube Goldberg.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> I long to see a picture of this fearsome beast from 1898:
>
> "A unique bicycle support is attached to the side plate of one of the
> pedals, where it is inconspicuous, but may be put in operation by the
> touch of the foot. It weighs only three and a half pounds and folds up
> and under the foot so as to be out of the way and out of sight when
> the wheel is in use. It consists of a lever attached to and folding
> along the edge of the pedal. Kicking a small button with the foot
> releases the lever, which falls down and is strengthened by a jointed
> truss. It supports the wheel at an angle of about 5 degrees. When
> kicked with the foot again the lever flies back."
>

> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A01E3DF1438E433A25757C1A96E9C9
> 4699ED7CF
>
> An "inconspicuous" 3.5 lb spring-loaded extending-stand attached to
> one pedal--ye gods!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Hmmm... Pedal kickstands are common in Asia but they don't weigh that
much on even the oldest beaters. That has to be an error.

I found a photo:

http://patentpending.blogs.com/patent_pending_blog/2005/09/bike_and_kick_
s.html

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:18:00 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I long to see a picture of this fearsome beast from 1898:
>>
>> "A unique bicycle support is attached to the side plate of one of the
>> pedals, where it is inconspicuous, but may be put in operation by the
>> touch of the foot. It weighs only three and a half pounds and folds up
>> and under the foot so as to be out of the way and out of sight when
>> the wheel is in use. It consists of a lever attached to and folding
>> along the edge of the pedal. Kicking a small button with the foot
>> releases the lever, which falls down and is strengthened by a jointed
>> truss. It supports the wheel at an angle of about 5 degrees. When
>> kicked with the foot again the lever flies back."
>>

>> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9A01E3DF1438E433A25757C1A96E9C9
>> 4699ED7CF
>>
>> An "inconspicuous" 3.5 lb spring-loaded extending-stand attached to
>> one pedal--ye gods!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

>Hmmm... Pedal kickstands are common in Asia but they don't weigh that
>much on even the oldest beaters. That has to be an error.
>
>I found a photo:
>
>http://patentpending.blogs.com/patent_pending_blog/2005/09/bike_and_kick_s.html

Dear Kevin,

Thanks!

That looks much more plausible than the NYT description of a 3.5 lb
doohickey. What you found would make sense at 3.5 ounces.

The reporter might have confused something small like the one that you
found with a massive beast like this:

http://i22.tinypic.com/11j3fqd.jpg

But more likely he just confused pounds and ounces.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I fashioned two red oak wanbuhwan with angle block mounting alonside
the rear rack. have a 10 penny nail epoxied into the bottoms backin'
up mah machete.