1984 Moulton AM7 question

Steve Watkin

Guest
I have the 9-30 7 speed cogs on my bike. I am considering trying to
set them up as indexed but wonder if anyone has tried this?
Was it successful? None of the individual cogs are ramped but the 3
small ones seem to be "twisted" , does this cog set index or do you
always have to over-shift?
If indexing is possible, what's the cog spacing ? 5mm ? And what
shifter should be used with drops ?
Sorry for so many questions but if someones been through this all
before it would be a great help.

SW

Steve Watkin wrote:
> I have the 9-30 7 speed cogs on my bike. I am considering trying to
> set them up as indexed but wonder if anyone has tried this?
> Was it successful? None of the individual cogs are ramped but the 3
> small ones seem to be "twisted" , does this cog set index or do you
> always have to over-shift?
> If indexing is possible, what's the cog spacing ? 5mm ? And what
> shifter should be used with drops ?
> Sorry for so many questions but if someones been through this all
> before it would be a great help.

Not sure.

However, I have rung Ben Hayward Cycles in Cambridge about older Moulton
AM's before, and this is the sort of question I'd expect them to be able to
answer if/when their Moulton expert is in the shop.
When I rang it was because I was considering buying a used one, and wanted
to check a few spare parts issues. His advice convinced me that the specific
bike I was looking at would have been too expensive (for my tastes) to
restore.

My guess is that a 7-speed shifter would work.
I would look for a frame indexed shifter, an old Suntour commander
shifter(*) or a 7-speed bar-end. Reason being that all can operate in
friction mode if required, can be over-shifted slightly then let slip back
onto the ratchet, both are high reliability and low hassle.
If after a modern STI/Ergo shifter, then I'd look up the CTC site's
"Shimergo" page, then scour Ebay for the appropriate old Campag Ergo shifter
to match your spacing.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

(* rare, but they do appear for sale occaisionally. Its a simple paddle
which fits just inside the brake hood on drops, push the upper bit away for
lower ratios, pull the upper or push the lower bit for higher ratios. Works
incredibly well. My tourer has had a set since new (circa 1990). They are
fine on Shimano spaced rear cogs, even though the Suntour shift spacing
isn't quite the same as Shimano. )

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Steve Watkin wrote:
> I have the 9-30 7 speed cogs on my bike. I am considering trying to
> set them up as indexed but wonder if anyone has tried this?
> Was it successful? None of the individual cogs are ramped but the 3
> small ones seem to be "twisted" , does this cog set index or do you
> always have to over-shift?

I don't know specifically for that particular bike and cogset, but in
general, it is possible to use indexed shifters with plain sprockets if
everything is well setup. It will be better with shifters that momentarily
over-shift a bit for you - like Campag Ergos (and STIs, I think).

> If indexing is possible, what's the cog spacing ? 5mm ?

Yes, except some Sun Tours, according to
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

> And what shifter should be used with drops ?

If you have/get a Shimano rear derailleur, any Shimano 7-speed shifter.

Or even 8, 9 or 10-speed shifters if the appropriate derailleur or
cable-pull modification is used for the shifter and sprocket spacing
combination. See http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

~PB