Best design - Moulton

wafflycat

Guest
See

http://www.bikebiz.com/daily-news/article.php?id=5624

"
Can a bike beat the iPod online design poll?
Iconic designers have nominated their favourite products from the past
twenty years as part of the New Designers exhibition due in late June. James
Dyson has nominated not his own vacuum cleaner but the Moulton bicycle. It's
up against the iPod, the Verdana font, Tate Modern and the world wide web.
At the moment, the Moulton is in joint last place, with the internet and the
iPod, nominated by Sebastian Conran, romping off with all the early votes.

The poll is being conducted by the New Designers exhibition to celebrate its
20th anniversary. The winner of the New Designers poll will be announced at
the New Designers event in London on 30th June when the exhibition opens to
showcase inspiring work by this year's crop of graduate designers.

Now in its 20th year, New Designers is the largest, longest running graduate
design exhibition in the UK"

Go to

http://www.newdesigners.com/page.cfm

to vote. Link on bottom right of page through to voting area.

Cheers, helen s

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:13:27 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

> "Can a bike beat the iPod online design poll? .....

Thanks for that, the Moulton mailing list has been alerted.

The poll itself is open to multiple voting, which renders it pretty
useless.

Mike

Mike Causer said:
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:13:27 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

> "Can a bike beat the iPod online design poll? .....

Thanks for that, the Moulton mailing list has been alerted.

The poll itself is open to multiple voting, which renders it pretty
useless.

Mike

I'm after a Moulton (AM) for around <£300 if anyone is selling.

M. Anderson

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:13:27 +0100,
wafflycat <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:
> up against the iPod, the Verdana font,

Verdana font! Verdana font! It ain't a font it is a typeface.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:56:07 +1000, anderson wrote:

> I'm after a Moulton (AM) for around <£300 if anyone is selling.

However an AM for £300 is going to be pretty ratty. You should find an
APB for that though, or a really, really nice F-frame.

Mike

Roedd <<Mike Causer>> wedi ysgrifennu:

> On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:13:27 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
>
>> "Can a bike beat the iPod online design poll? .....

> Thanks for that, the Moulton mailing list has been alerted.
>
> The poll itself is open to multiple voting, which renders it pretty
> useless.

In the last four hours the Moulton has shot into pole position. That's the
power of lobbying for you.

--
Rob

http://www.asta51.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:37:43 +0100, Robert Bruce wrote:

> Roedd <<Mike Causer>> wedi ysgrifennu:
>
>> Thanks for that, the Moulton mailing list has been alerted.
>>
>> The poll itself is open to multiple voting, which renders it pretty
>> useless.
>>

> In the last four hours the Moulton has shot into pole position. That's the
> power of lobbying for you.

Well maybe I'll vote a few more times m'self to make sure...

Although I actually think "The Internet" should take both the "best" and
"worst" prizes.

Best concept, worst actual usage.

Mike

Mike Causer wrote:
> Although I actually think "The Internet" should take both the "best" and
> "worst" prizes.
>
> Best concept, worst actual usage.

Does it really count as a British design, though?

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 21:05:11 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

> Mike Causer wrote:
>> Although I actually think "The Internet" should take both the "best" and
>> "worst" prizes.
>>
>> Best concept, worst actual usage.

> Does it really count as a British design, though?

Tricky. Tim Berners-Lee is British by birth, came up with the concept in
Switzerland and now lives in the USofA.

What's the Usenet equivalent of a penalty-shootout??

Mike

in message <[email protected]>, Danny Colyer
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Mike Causer wrote:
>> Although I actually think "The Internet" should take both the "best"
>> and "worst" prizes.
>>
>> Best concept, worst actual usage.

> Does it really count as a British design, though?

No. Definitely not. Even the World Wide Web is British only in the
limited sense that the guy who designed the basic protocols was
British. He was working in Switzerland, on an internationally funded
project.

Morning had broken, and we had run out of gas for the welding torch.

James Annan wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote:

>> That's the danger. The bike should win (honestly) when it's
>> appropriate, as in that BBC poll. If it's seen to be winning in
>> dubious circumstances, that'll devalue its victories.
>>

> Agreed, but I'm not sure that any of the other entries were more
> appropriate this time (or in the recent past, either)...after all, it
> got listed in the first place.

I voted for the bike but if that rolling bridge thing works in the way I
think it should, I might have voted for that instead.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> No. Definitely not. Even the World Wide Web is British only in the
> limited sense that the guy who designed the basic protocols was
> British. He was working in Switzerland, on an internationally funded
> project.

Depends how you're looking at it. For example, in much the same way as
being Irish might mean either that you are /actually/ Irish, or if you
happen to be a good footballer if can tell the colour green from
something else with no more than 3 attempts, British in a situation like
the above means "relatives within 3 generations have at least changed
planes at Heathrow", but if the international project isn't a success
then it's all a huge Euro-waste of good British money down the drain...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does it really count as a British design, though?

The same criticism applies to the iPod.

How they could put the WWW on that poll I don't know. It's an utter
tragedy of bad typography and terrible page layout.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <[email protected]> http://dotat.at/
THE MULL OF GALLOWAY TO MULL OF KINTYRE INCLUDING THE FIRTH OF CLYDE AND THE

in message <Dvs*[email protected]>, Tony Finch
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>Does it really count as a British design, though?

> The same criticism applies to the iPod.
>
> How they could put the WWW on that poll I don't know. It's an utter
> tragedy of bad typography and terrible page layout.

But the underlying architecture is exceedingly simple, flexible and
elegant. Don't judge an apple by its skin.

The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.

Robert Bruce wrote:

> Roedd <<Mike Causer>> wedi ysgrifennu:
>
> > On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:13:27 +0100, wafflycat wrote:
> >
> >> "Can a bike beat the iPod online design poll? .....

> > Thanks for that, the Moulton mailing list has been alerted.
> >
> > The poll itself is open to multiple voting, which renders it pretty
> > useless.
> >

> In the last four hours the Moulton has shot into pole position. That's the
> power of lobbying for you.
>
> --
> Rob
>
> http://www.asta51.dsl.pipex.com/webcam/

Hey, we're slipping!
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:36:19 +0100, Al C-F wrote:

> OK, Let's do this properly. How do I remove the cookie that tells the
> site that I've already voted?

Depends on your web browser. In Firefox 1.04

Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy -> View Cookies -> select all those from
www.newdesigners.com -> Remove Cookie

Mike

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:53:19 +0100, Mike Causer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:36:19 +0100, Al C-F wrote:
>
>> OK, Let's do this properly. How do I remove the cookie that tells the
>> site that I've already voted?

>Depends on your web browser. In Firefox 1.04
>
>Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy -> View Cookies -> select all those from
>www.newdesigners.com -> Remove Cookie

IE6.something?

Damned if I can find them!

At Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:36:19 +0100, message
<[email protected]> was posted by Al C-F
<[email protected]>, including some,
all or none of the following:

>OK, Let's do this properly. How do I remove the cookie that tells the
>site that I've already voted?

That's cheating! You only get one vote. Obviously every computer is
entitled to its own opinion, though. I have 260 of them in my
personal fiefdom...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> At Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:36:19 +0100, message
> <[email protected]> was posted by Al C-F
> <[email protected]>, including some,
> all or none of the following:
>
> >OK, Let's do this properly. How do I remove the cookie that tells the
> >site that I've already voted?

> That's cheating! You only get one vote. Obviously every computer is
> entitled to its own opinion, though. I have 260 of them in my
> personal fiefdom...

Yebbut we're not the only ones doing it. We're holding steady at 45% of
the vote but the iPod is only just behind. I've seen a Mac site that's
urging its readers to go and vote for it. The InterWeb is the only
other design with a significant share of the vote, and would probably
be romping home as the clear winner without the involvement of special
interest groups. The total votes cast must be orders of magnitude
greater than the normal readership of newdesigners.com.

Keep voting therefore, or those cheating bastards from Apple will steal
it from us. :)

--
Dave...

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 05:32:06 -0700, dkahn400 wrote:

> Keep voting therefore, or those cheating bastards from Apple will steal it
> from us. :)

Ah, but suppose a little birdy whispers to Newdesigners that this is going
on, and they can detect which votes came from Macintosh machines by
looking in their server logs and so discount them?

After a bit of experimenting it turns out that it's not necessary to
delete cookies between votes. All you have to do is refuse cookies from
www.newdesigners.com right from the start. And then it's
Vote -> Page Back -> Vote -> Page Back -> Vote -> Page Back ad infinitum.

Voting could also be done by a pretty trivial program, but when the vote
count gets into the billions they might get somewhat suspicious....

Mike