1998 Cannondale F400 upgrade

Bailey

Sep 12, 2003
Anyone have experience in upgrading components on this bike that could advise me on shifter, front & rear derailer, possible change from Rock Shox Indy S fork to a newer lock-out fork? Thanks for any help.

There shouldn't be a problem upgrading the group, though I'm not sure if space between the dropouts is an issue with MTBs if you want to upgrade to 9 speed..

The frame should have a headshok compatible head tube (it'll be really big compared to other MTB head tubes if so); so you should be able to put a lock-out headshok fork into it (along with a new headset and stem to suit.)

A good lockout shock is the Manitou Skareb. It has good travel, is light weight, adjustable recoil and a full lockout.

Good luck

Wave

Originally posted by rek
There shouldn't be a problem upgrading the group, though I'm not sure if space between the dropouts is an issue with MTBs if you want to upgrade to 9 speed..

The frame should have a headshok compatible head tube (it'll be really big compared to other MTB head tubes if so); so you should be able to put a lock-out headshok fork into it (along with a new headset and stem to suit.)

I talked with a tech at JensonUSA and he said 9 speed upgrade should be no problem. Ordered some new shifters, brakes and will perform fork and cranks upgrade later.

Thanks,
Bailey

My f400 is 11 years old this year.what drivetrain you recommmend.i have a 24 speed with shimano xtr hubs and want to change the pedal and crank to carbon.