20 Inch Wheels Bike

Wheel size is a wash from the rider pov. If your contemplated rides are on paved or smooth roads, I would swap out the knobbies for a smoother
tread tire, it will be a lot more comfortable and a whole lot easier to pedal.

ANON125 said:
http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-RVXDF2001.html
We are RVing and want a folding bike.
what is it like to use a 20inch wheel bike?
thanks all
The ride is a bit rougher. The wheel will fall into smaller holes than a 26" wheel. With folding bikes sometimes the makers make compromises with regards to stability so that the wheels come together when folded.

As to the bike in the ad:
35lbs is heavy for a full sized bike. For $99 you will not get better parts. In particular the pedals, wheel hubs, and bottom bracket might require constant maintenance. It probably does not resist rust.

For alternatives look for less expensive Dahon.com, or Downtube.com (sold on ebay)

sadly our budget and available space means we have to buy the one i quoted.

Maintenance suggestions welcome- rust reduction etc.
thanks

I think you get what you pay for; without seeing the bike hands-on there is no telling what the quality is, or how rideable it is. If you can, have a look at BMX bikes for comparison. They are small, very rugged, rideable; and could be broken down small enough by removing the wheels. Gears would be extra for a BMX, perhaps a 3-speed hub gear?

That said, and if you have bought the folder, then the first thing is to make sure everything is set and adjusted properly, and all the nuts are tight.

ANON125 said:
thanks all
My friend Tom bought a couple of bikes like these.
He stores them inside and only rides around campgrounds for site-seeing and exercise. The hubs and bottom bracket need service often (cleaning, new bearings, new grease, and adjustments) to keep them running freely. He hasn't replaced the pedals yet, but they are on the list. The tires are quite inexpensive and have worn out. I am not impressed with the brakes, but he and his wife are slow and careful riders. I think that he will be OK as long as he doens't need to perform any emergency stops or long descents (highly unlikely he will ride up/down long hills).

ANON125 said:
thanks all

Generally a 20 inch bike is quite OK for casual, short distance riding. The thing about this particular bike that sticks out is:
a: the front brake. A brake of that design (stamped out of sheet metal) really doesn't perform very well. The rear appears to be some sort of drum brake, which hopefully does better.
b: the double telescope design on the handlebar stem. Long stems tends to flex significantly, and this might be even more prone because of the double joint. Expect pedalling out of the saddle to feel unstable and avoid descents at speed.
c: the quick-release on the actual folding hinge. To me it would be worth it to spend an extra minute with an ordinary wrench for a more positive lock.
d: Note that the valve stem on the front wheel sticks out at an angle on one of the pics. If your bike arrives looking like that have it corrected before you start riding.
e: I'm not too fond of the rivets attaching the seat stays to the dropouts either.

Don' forget that there's more to using a bike than merely buying one and riding it. At the very least get a pump too, and make sure you know how to check and adjust the tire pressure.

BTW, what made you pick this particular bike? that site had a couple of others in the same price range.

ANON125 said:
thanks all
A year ago, I bought a Cell 20" folding bike. See:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=516

This bike has proven to be a satisfying purchase. It's well-made, well priced, easy to fold & store, delightful to ride and always attracts attention whenever I take it out.

I'm 190cm tall and 88kg, and find the Cell 20" folding bike to be rather comfy to ride.

So far, I've only had a couple of minor problems, which were fractured balls in one of the pedal bearings and the Shimano 'Revoshift' gear shifter failing. Fortunately a fellow forum member was very kind to supply and fit a good quality lever shifter, which I would expect to last for a very long time.

The Cell folding bike is easy to fold and unfold. With a little practise, it only takes about 30 seconds to fold the bike and it's ready to store away or place in the luggage compartment of a vehicle.

As for the smallish tyre size, the bike handles well yet is both nimble and stable (the wheelbase is about the same as many mountain / road bikes).

One of the best handling & stable bikes I've ridden is a Moulton, with 16" wheels. The frame geometry & longish wheelbase is the key to the stability. Whilst the Moulton isn't a folding bike, it's probably one of the most desirable & collectable bikes, so I'd say they're rather special.

the bikes have arrived.

caliper brakes at the front and a "hub" brake at the back.
comments?

dabac said:
Generally a 20 inch bike is quite OK for casual, short distance riding. The thing about this particular bike that sticks out is:
a: the front brake. A brake of that design (stamped out of sheet metal) really doesn't perform very well. The rear appears to be some sort of drum brake, which hopefully does better.
b: the double telescope design on the handlebar stem. Long stems tends to flex significantly, and this might be even more prone because of the double joint. Expect pedalling out of the saddle to feel unstable and avoid descents at speed.
c: the quick-release on the actual folding hinge. To me it would be worth it to spend an extra minute with an ordinary wrench for a more positive lock.
d: Note that the valve stem on the front wheel sticks out at an angle on one of the pics. If your bike arrives looking like that have it corrected before you start riding.
e: I'm not too fond of the rivets attaching the seat stays to the dropouts either.

Don' forget that there's more to using a bike than merely buying one and riding it. At the very least get a pump too, and make sure you know how to check and adjust the tire pressure.

BTW, what made you pick this particular bike? that site had a couple of others in the same price range.
we chose this bike cos the handlebars fold down - it seemed the smallest when folded.
BTW it arrived with 5 gears but the shifter has 10 positions - no they are not evenly divided. changing gears is hit and miss and the company is lousy at responding. i do NOT reccommend this company!
can i buy the correct gearshift?

ANON125 said:
can i buy the correct gearshift?
The clicks on the grip shift may be random clicks - ie you twist the grip until the gear changes regardless of the number of clicks.

An older mountain bike handlebar mounted lever may index in 5 positions, but may or may not be compatible with your derailleur - worth a try if you find one.

A even older mountain bike friction shift lever will do the job, but same as you have now; you push the lever until the gear changes, and then fine-tune the lever if the chain is making a noise because it is not quite lined up.

In case you don't know, the gears cannot change unless the chain is being pedalled forward!