2004 AMB ID Epic, ping Paladin

Gman

Guest
So what's the ride plan P?

If it's the 2 mile up, 10 mile down route, then I'll be in
great shape! =) I'll take the dual boinger for that.

....but if it's the same route as last year, I'll need to
actually do some SS riding...I'm not nearly in the same
shape as last year.

Gman wrote:
> So what's the ride plan P?
>
> If it's the 2 mile up, 10 mile down route, then I'll be in
> great shape! =) I'll take the dual boinger for that.
>
> ...but if it's the same route as last year, I'll need to
> actually do some SS riding...I'm not nearly in the same
> shape as last year.

the plan is the duck lake - 20 mile trail which is the 2 mile up one you
mention. It's supposed to be somewhat technical, the big hope is that they
get it cleared by then. It wasn't last weekend when I was up there. Last
year's route is Plan B, tho I think Paladin may even have a C in the wings.

Penny

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:06:49 -0700, pas <[email protected]> wrote:
> Gman wrote:
>> So what's the ride plan P?
>>
>> If it's the 2 mile up, 10 mile down route, then I'll be in
>> great shape! =) I'll take the dual boinger for that.
>>
>> ...but if it's the same route as last year, I'll need to
>> actually do some SS riding...I'm not nearly in the same
>> shape as last year.

> the plan is the duck lake - 20 mile trail which is the 2 mile up one you
> mention. It's supposed to be somewhat technical, the big hope is that they
> get it cleared by then. It wasn't last weekend when I was up there. Last
> year's route is Plan B, tho I think Paladin may even have a C in the wings.
>
> Penny

So ur telling me I need to be prepared for anything, eh? =)

IIRC, we were thinking of trying the same route last year
and it wasn't cleared...I won't be holding my breath.

So when are you folks planning this trip? You heading to Loon Lake from
Duck if the trail gets opened? We use to ride some sort of Loon lake loop
every July 4th weekend, but the past 2 years my ride partners have bailed.

Thanks,

Mike

news:[email protected]...

Mike Kennedy wrote:
> So when are you folks planning this trip? You heading to Loon
> Lake from Duck if the trail gets opened? We use to ride some sort of
> Loon lake loop every July 4th weekend, but the past 2 years my ride
> partners have bailed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

coming up, google AMB-ID for one set of the particulars, or stay tuned ;-)
Are you a lurker or something?

penny

Mike Kennedy wrote:
> So when are you folks planning this trip? You heading to Loon
> Lake from Duck if the trail gets opened? We use to ride some sort of
> Loon lake loop every July 4th weekend, but the past 2 years my ride
> partners have bailed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

It's two weekends from now, 31/1. Portland, Pullman, Hood River, Buffalo
NY, and Spokane should all have a showing in addition to the Boise
contingent.

Previous years have done Loon Lake and Ruby Meadows, this year we are hoping
that Duck Lake and 20 mile will be clear.

Penny

"pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mike Kennedy wrote:
> > So when are you folks planning this trip? You heading to Loon
> > Lake from Duck if the trail gets opened? We use to ride some sort of
> > Loon lake loop every July 4th weekend, but the past 2 years my ride
> > partners have bailed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> It's two weekends from now, 31/1. Portland, Pullman, Hood River, Buffalo
> NY, and Spokane should all have a showing in addition to the Boise
> contingent.
>
> Previous years have done Loon Lake and Ruby Meadows, this year we are hoping
> that Duck Lake and 20 mile will be clear.
>
> Penny

For GMan and everybody else. I'm gonna scout around next Saturday, if
I can get up there, and if 20-Mile isn't cleared, we'll do some
variation on last year, but rather than hike for an hour to the
crashed bomber, I'm going swimming! And let's keep our breaks to 10
minutes or so, and make sure everybody has *lots* of water on hand, or
a filter.

For those who have been there, I don't have to say anything, but for
everybody else, the Ruby/Loon loop is a great experience, with
something for everybody.

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/WholeCrewatLoonLake.jpg

BUT, if Duck Lake to 20-Mile is closed, and the majority votes for
something new, we have some treats up our sleeve.

The whole Ruby/Loon sections are clear and being ridden now.

I'm leaving the family home this year, so I have a room or two still
vacant at the cabin, counting NY, myself, Alex, GMan? Tim? staying
there. GMan can even have a bed this year. It's 4 bedrooms. Our
happy couple from NY get the master sweet.

Be happy to hook up with Mr. Kennedy for the Saturday ride, or any
time that weekend.

It'll probably be hot in the afternoon, so I'm voting for beachside
bbq after the ride, with periodic dunks off the dock.

More to come. We had only 1 vehicle this weekend, so I had to stick
around town, when I'd planned to go figger things out up there for
y'all.

But it's all good.

Paladin

On 17 Jul 2004 23:15:48 -0700, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:

> For GMan and everybody else. I'm gonna scout around next Saturday, if
> I can get up there, and if 20-Mile isn't cleared, we'll do some
> variation on last year, but rather than hike for an hour to the
> crashed bomber, I'm going swimming! And let's keep our breaks to 10
> minutes or so, and make sure everybody has *lots* of water on hand, or
> a filter.

I'm getting psyched!

I agree totally on the breaks and water. Ideally all
contestants should be able to ride 20 singletrack miles with
small breaks and supply themselves with what they carry on
their backs.

And for the BBQ I've got a treat. We've started getting our
beef from a local farmer, and (at the risk of setting false
expectations), the burger is the best I've EVER had. I'll
bring a few pounds to grill up one night.

And of course, I'll be bringing a few barley pops too...

I hope the 20-mile trail is clear. Unfortunately it doesn't
look like I'll be able to go exploring with you next
weekend.

Gman

"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Mike Kennedy wrote:

> More to come. We had only 1 vehicle this weekend, so I had to stick
> around town, when I'd planned to go figger things out up there for
> y'all.
>
> But it's all good.

Man, I'd love to tag along . . I'll be in P-town with the fam around then.
Too bad my ride up there doesn't have a rack. Grrr.

c "lurker" c

Paladin wrote:
> For GMan and everybody else. I'm gonna scout around next Saturday, if
> I can get up there, and if 20-Mile isn't cleared, we'll do some
> variation on last year, but rather than hike for an hour to the
> crashed bomber, I'm going swimming! And let's keep our breaks to 10
> minutes or so, and make sure everybody has *lots* of water on hand, or
> a filter.

that and get the shuttle done EARLY.

Would a call to the ranger office give you the info about 20 mile? I can
deal with a few trees down, but not one per 1/4 mile.

> > It'll probably be hot in the afternoon, so I'm voting for beachside

> bbq after the ride, with periodic dunks off the dock.

I vote for an Alpine start, modified, myself.

> But it's all good.

you betcha!!

Gman wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2004 23:15:48 -0700, Paladin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> For GMan and everybody else. I'm gonna scout around next Saturday, if
>> I can get up there, and if 20-Mile isn't cleared, we'll do some
>> variation on last year, but rather than hike for an hour to the
>> crashed bomber, I'm going swimming! And let's keep our breaks to 10
>> minutes or so, and make sure everybody has *lots* of water on hand,
>> or a filter.

> I'm getting psyched!
>
> I agree totally on the breaks and water. Ideally all
> contestants should be able to ride 20 singletrack miles with
> small breaks and supply themselves with what they carry on
> their backs.

I did 15 today, I'm in. ;-) But be nice, we have east coasters coming to
altitude!!

penny

cc wrote:
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
>>> Mike Kennedy wrote:

>> More to come. We had only 1 vehicle this weekend, so I had to stick
>> around town, when I'd planned to go figger things out up there for
>> y'all.
>>
>> But it's all good.
>>

> Man, I'd love to tag along . . I'll be in P-town with the fam around
> then. Too bad my ride up there doesn't have a rack. Grrr.
>
> c "lurker" c

you should Ping BB.

penny

"cc" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Mike Kennedy wrote:

> > More to come. We had only 1 vehicle this weekend, so I had to stick
> > around town, when I'd planned to go figger things out up there for
> > y'all.
> >
> > But it's all good.
> >

> Man, I'd love to tag along . . I'll be in P-town with the fam around then.
> Too bad my ride up there doesn't have a rack. Grrr.
>
> c "lurker" c

Are you talking about Pullman? It's about 4 hours north, and a spider
might be driving down from there... Bikes are avail in McCall.

Paladin

> "cc" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > >

> Are you talking about Pullman? It's about 4 hours north, and

a spider
> might be driving down from there... Bikes are avail in McCall.

No, Portland. I'm coming up with a friend who'll be staying in
Portland for some convention thing. He had to drive anyway, so I
figured I'd hitch a ride and see my family who live in the area.

How far is the drive to this Loon Lake from Portland. Is there a
good site with details?

My birthday is also right before then (27th), so I think we
might come up early and hit Oswald West on the coast for a
couple daze. I could probably talk another friend into coming
(who has a rack in the mail) if I try hard enough. It might help
if I knew of MTB trails in the Manzanita area; can't find
anything online. I've been camping there a million times, but
can't remember if the trails are just for hiking (it's been 3+
years).

BTW - who/where is BB? Bill Brassky?

Colin

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:07:44 -0700, cc wrote:

> How far is the drive to this Loon Lake from Portland. Is there a
> good site with details?

I drove out to the AMB-ID ride a few years back - it was about 9 hours
each way.

> if I knew of MTB trails in the Manzanita area; can't find
> anything online.

Check MTBR - I'm pretty sure there is a trail somewhere in that area. We
mostly ride the trails on Hwy 6 toward Tillamook.

> BTW - who/where is BB? Bill Brassky?

Nope, that's me. I live west of Portland. I'm not sure what weekend we're
talking about (haven't been keeping up with AMB-ID), but I'll probably be
riding (here) whenever it is; I've been out for nearly a month and I'm
itching to get back on the bike. If you can get your hands on a bike, I've
got wheels.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Thanks for the info. Yes I am a lurker, but I have often thought about
posting a RR :) Of course there are enough folks from Boise already posting
here.
I will be visiting Newberry Valcano during the time you all are having your
fun; perhaps next time I will get to meet and ride with you all.
Mike

"pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Kennedy wrote:
> > So when are you folks planning this trip? You heading to Loon
> > Lake from Duck if the trail gets opened? We use to ride some sort of
> > Loon lake loop every July 4th weekend, but the past 2 years my ride
> > partners have bailed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> coming up, google AMB-ID for one set of the particulars, or stay tuned ;-)
> Are you a lurker or something?
>
> penny

"pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's two weekends from now, 31/1. Portland, Pullman, Hood River, Buffalo
> NY, and Spokane should all have a showing in addition to the Boise
> contingent.

If you're referring to us, we're not in Buffalo. Corvus is in Buffalo. We're
on Long Island.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:
> "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> It's two weekends from now, 31/1. Portland, Pullman, Hood River,
>> Buffalo NY, and Spokane should all have a showing in addition to the
>> Boise contingent.

> If you're referring to us, we're not in Buffalo. Corvus is in
> Buffalo. We're on Long Island.
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

oh, sorry... it all runs together for me!! Are you guys getting excited
yet?

penny

"pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> oh, sorry... it all runs together for me!! Are you guys getting excited
> yet?

Actually, we haven't really been thinking about, been having to deal with
several problems lately, so our minds have been occupied with other
things...

:-(

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Penny says:

>oh, sorry... it all runs together for me!!

Typical Westerner! ;-)

The number of times I've had people say "Rhode Island? Isn't that part of
Massachussetts?" We don't get no respect here in small state country. ;-P

Steve