2004 Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7800 wheelset Question

mskaufman84

Jul 6, 2007
So two days ago i bought a new Dura-Ace wheelset from the LBS on their July 4th sale. It was being sold for 300 and had a retail price of 800.. kinda had to. I got them on my bike but two things ended up happening...

First of all... there was a slight clicking noise in the front hub. When i took it in, the mechanic told me that it was a new wheelset and thats normal and i need to ride it to break it in. So far ive put maybe 40 miles on it and the noise seems to have dissapeared.

The other thing that was happening is that when i would spin it, it would spin nicely, but not nearly as long as my old front wheel. I used to have a bontrager race up there and it would just go forever. Is this something i should worry about. Maybe with a good spin itll go for 15 seconds or so before stopping.

Also the rear wheel clicking sounds weird, and makes different sounding clicks as it is spinning around.

Is it possible that this wheelset has just sat so long on the wall of the LBS that it went bad or something? It is a 2004 model but apparently has never been used. Any advice would help. Thanks