steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Stage 19: Bourgoin-Jallieu - Aubenas 178 km

MOUNTAIN PASSES & HILLS

Km 6.5: Côte de Culin - 2.6 km climb to 5.6 % - Category 4
Km 40.5: Côte de la forêt de Chambaran - 3.1 km climb to 6.4 % - Category 4
Km 162.0: Col de l'Escrinet - 14.0 km climb to 4.1 % - Category 2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pevoYFt70ko"]YouTube - analysis of the stage 19[/ame]

General classification after stage 18 ( top 25 )

1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 73:15:39
2 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:04:11
3 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana 0:05:25
4 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream 0:05:36
5 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:05:38
6 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank 0:05:59
7 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas 0:07:15
8 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream 0:10:08
9 Mikel Astarloza Chaurreau (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi 0:12:38
10 Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Française des Jeux 0:12:41
11 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha 0:13:36
12 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas 0:14:08
13 Sandy Casar (Fra) Française des Jeux 0:14:37
14 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:15:26
15 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:15:27
16 Stéphane Goubert (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:19:47
17 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Silence - Lotto 0:19:49
18 Alexandre Botcharov (Rus) Team Katusha 0:24:26
19 Brice Feillu (Fra) Agritubel 0:25:58
20 Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Quick Step 0:27:05
21 Christian Knees (Ger) Team Milram 0:27:51
22 George Hincapie (USA) Team Columbia - HTC 0:28:12
23 Pierre Rolland (Fra) BBOX Bouygues Telecom 0:29:57
24 Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team Milram 0:31:00
25 Nicolas Roche (Irl) AG2R La Mondiale 0:31:49

This stage seems to me to be a great stage for a breakaway to stay away from the peloton.Astana maybe keeping the tempo moderate in anticipation of tomorrow. I think Bruyneel still dreams of at leat two on the podium in Paris, maybe three, so save the energy for Saturday.
Tomorrow could bring some good moments with a lot of talent such an Evans, Sastre etc not doing well it might be a day to say "what the f**k" and just go for it.

stapleton must be beating his brains out for having let hushhovd go unmarked in the breakaway a few days back. have to put the blame on his doorstep for letting the green jersey get torn off cav's back in what would have been an astounding year for him.

slovakguy said:
stapleton must be beating his brains out for having let hushhovd go unmarked in the breakaway a few days back. have to put the blame on his doorstep for letting the green jersey get torn off cav's back in what would have been an astounding year for him.

I don't think anyone thought he could hold on as long as he did.

i know i didn't believe he could last up there. points to thor for that daring move. no one can say the jersey was handed to him.

Was the jersey handed to him? We'll only find out in Paris. If he beats Cav by a number of points greater than the amount Cav lost because of that stupid DQ then all is well and good (sort of...) if he doesn't, well, Cav should have green.

Awesome sprint by Cav, his best win of this tour so far. By far the best sprinter in this years Tour.

slovakguy said:
I'm sure he can find comfort in Cav's 5 victories so far and another shot on the Champs Elysees

Nice profile with 2nd cat. climb 17km before the finish. Those type of stages are more interesting in first week though.

Eldrack said:
Was the jersey handed to him? We'll only find out in Paris. If he beats Cav by a number of points greater than the amount Cav lost because of that stupid DQ then all is well and good (sort of...) if he doesn't, well, Cav should have green.

Awesome sprint by Cav, his best win of this tour so far. By far the best sprinter in this years Tour.

That's just an ignorant comment. Yes, everyone can see that Cavendish is the best sprinter. And everyone, I guess except you, can see that he's got the best team to help in the bunch sprints. In my opinion, the extraordinary efforts of Martin and Hincapie in the final kilometres yesterday, and Cavendish's fantastic long sprint made this one of the most astonishing team efforts ever in cycling. Complete dominance on an epic scale. Hushovd on the other hand is completely alone, left to help himself by a team that for some reason couldn't give a **** about the green jersey. Even when Sastre is totally out of it for the yellow one. You'd think a team that's been handed a place in the race on a wild card would show more interest in securing something that would make them hard to ignore for next years TdF.

Not once, but twice, Hushovd has gathered sprint points on stages with high climbs. He's won a stage. He's gathered the most points and proven the idea behind the green jersey, it favours the aggresive riders. There must be a reason for placing sprints after high climbs, wouldn't you agree? Hushovd is no longer a pure sprinter, but has evolved into a rider for the classic races, like Paris - Roubaix. If he wins, it's deserved.

It surely wasn't handed to him. Saying that is even disrespectful to Cavendish's efforts.

The best sprinters can still win even if they don't have a great lead out train. McEwen has proven that time and time again by taking wins without any real support from his team.

Respect to Hushovd for going out and collecting intermediate sprint points on two different mountain stages but the fact is if he beats Cav by 15 points or less it was the disqualification that made the difference between them.