2012 Specialized Allez Elite Compact $580 good deal?

tslugmo

Jun 20, 2014
I've only seen a picture so far, but want to be prepared to counter offer or just take it if it looks good. Seller claims 800 miles, fantastic shape including tires. I have been trying to get a feel for used bike market pricing and this seems to be a good deal but would love confirmation. Hard to for me to know how much to knock off for age and components every time I find a used bike. Let's assume that it's in as good condition as the seller claims.

This is a 10 speed Tiagra and carbon fork which is more than I was hoping for. I had been looking for Allez Sport in sub $500 range, but this seems like a good upgrade to chip in a little more for, maybe I'll get some of that back when selling it on the other end? I'm new to road biking but have heard that 10 speed is desirable for compatibility with upgrades, and I was hoping to get Tiagra or better.

Thanks for your advice!

Edit to add: I did find this 2012 Allez Elite Compact on eBay sold for $560, so this feels like the right ballpark: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Specialized-Allez-Elite-Compact-Frame-Size-Small-52-Sub-120miles-/131207391101

I don't have the 2012 Spesh details at my fingertips, but I'm assuming that MSRP on their Tiagra Allez was north of $1000. Sounds like a decent deal. Assuming that the frame is in good shape, and it's the right size for you. Tiagra is a nice starter group, and the 2012 version was a big improvement over the earlier 9 speed group.

It's a good deal. As long as the seller is being honest about prior use (and hasn't crashed it), and that it's in the ballpark for you, size-wise. The less expensive Allez frames haven't seen any meaningful changes since 2012. It's a very solid first bike. With 800 miles, there isn't a lot of wear on anything, and Tiagra shifters and derailleurs will last a good long time. Might be a good idea to have a shop check for chain wear a little bit down the road. Depending on how the owner maintained it, at 800 miles, it might be halfway along to replacement time.

Thanks. For posterity in case others find this thread looking for pricing data points, the bike was sold when I called about it this morning although it seemed suspiciously like a scam.