2012 Tour de France

i really wish i could agree with your read, but evans has made the attacks and been reeled in. today, evans had hincapie and t j up the road and just couldn't stick the blade in to take advantage of the set up. as far as the g c contenders, nothing but marking and tempo. stage profile is reminiscent when froome and wiggins finished side by side. maybe nibbles jumps froome, who is playing the good soldier, but don't see a shake up to the g c. i see a great stage for hunting by a euskie rider or perhaps someone from movistar if a break makes it up the road.

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

i really wish i could agree with your read, but evans has made the attacks and been reeled in. today, evans had hincapie and t j up the road and just couldn't stick the blade in to take advantage of the set up. as far as the g c contenders, nothing but marking and tempo. stage profile is reminiscent when froome and wiggins finished side by side. maybe nibbles jumps froome, who is playing the good soldier, but don't see a shake up to the g c. i see a great stage for hunting by a euskie rider or perhaps someone from movistar if a break makes it up the road.

I think you're right, Slovak.

Evans was never a rider who could stay with sudden accelerations in the climbs. But in the past he was able to ride at his own tempo and come back to the chasing group.
Today he was unable to do that. It is the first time that I've actually seen Evans crack in the TDF.
This happens to all the champions at some point, they simply cannot stay with the climb on a given day - remember Big Mig at Les Arc in 1996 when he too cracked for the first time in the TDF?

It's actually very disconcerting to watch the great champions appear human.

oof, the dreaded jour sans. lemond with his upper body rocking side to side and fignon going for the kill.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

I agree no GC change but he still needs to try.
It comes down to how tired Evans is at the end of the day.

Nibali is going to ride defensively to protect his 3rd place podium. So it will be BMC v Liquigas.
I'd really like to see BMC work more for Evans but they're probably split on this with having to defend Van Garderan as well.
Although if Evans is having a good day, it makes sense for Van Garderan too to work for Evans.

Tomorrow is his last chance in this race to get something from it.

Tomorrow's last chance for lots of guys.

Movistar, Vacansoleil, Katusha, Euskaltel, Lampre, Astana, BMC... All of them came to the Tour with certain ambition, but I doubt they're satisfied with what they've got so far.

Similar stage to today's I expect.

Well, now that Van Garderen and Evans are at the same time, BMC could just alternate them until one pops off the front...IF one pops off the front.

there can be no question now that this was really froome's tour. wiggins gets the greatest gift ever.

Could he? Was he good enough to take 2 mins out of Wiggins and hold him in the TT? I'm not arguing I'm asking?

i'd say yes, froome could have built enough of a gap in these few mountain stages had he not had a leash on him to have forced wiggins to take greater gambles. full marks to froome for playing the good soldier.

IMO, Froome could have buried Wiggins on the climbs.

Now...what will they both turn on the final TT?

I agree that Wiggins isn't genuine winner.

And today's holding of Froome (that's my impression) wasn't classy at all.
He could have given him the freedom to chase down Valverde and take one more stage, it wouldn't endanger his advantage in the GC..
And there's a TT where Wiggins should confirm his strength.

But, how surprising would be Froome's victory? We only heard for the guy about a year ago.

It's better this way. A rider with more than a decent palmares, and around whom the Sky project has been built, will win the Yellow jersey.
Makes more sense.

Wonder how the Sky will appear in Vuelta.
Should be interesting to watch them against Contador.
Should be informative and indicative for them too.

Can't see Wiggins riding Vuelta.
Froome maybe. But not with the highest ambitions.

Originally Posted by Wiltshirerunner .

Well they won't be in the same team, that much is certain.
Maybe Riis will buy him I mean recruit him. Not sure what kind of contract he has though.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Maybe Riis will buy him I mean recruit him. Not sure what kind of contract he has though.
If he goes, he'll go to be a leader.
That won't happen in Saxo.

Froome looked really strong on the last mountain stage of this years TDF.

I reckon he could have caught Valverde if he was allowed to pursue him but team orders seem to have been issued ordering him to stay with Wiggo.

Evans has had a poor tour by his standards. Today the accelerations on the climbs were too much for him but even his renowned ability to claw himself back isn't there this year.
Maybe he's still got that gastro problem?

I assumed that we'd see all out attacks on these last 2 stages but it was not to be.
Liquigas? Nibali wasn't convincing enough. Perhaps he didn't have enough gas in the tank to make a decisive break.

This years Tour hasn't been great viewing. If Voeckler wasn't doing his thing it would be a snore fest.

A lot of potential GC contenders have gone missing : Menchov, Basso, Frank Schleck.
Others have been ill or have crashed out : Hesjadal, Andy Schleck, Evans.

Beaucoup kudos to M. Voeckler on his two stage victories and his impending coronation as the 2012 TdF King of the Mountains.

I have had much less interest this year to the point of not really following the riders and their abilities. Not sure why since the Tour is usually a high point in my summer.