General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

3 months - not nearly enough change

Started by Deb · · Last activity · 89 posts · 2,053 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 March 2005
Last activity
30 March 2005
Original author
Deb
Posts
89
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,053
Views / 30 days
16

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 89
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, here I am, back again. I started training in early Nov after a 3
    year layoff, and dropped my calories in mid-January after the exercise
    alone had failed to make any significant change in my physique.

    So, since Jan, I've been doing 3 days of weights a week, 4-5 days of
    cardio (HIIT, 30 minutes) and eating from 1500 to 1800 calories a day
    instead of my previous 2000-2200.

    What's changed? Little.

    I lost 6 pounds from my starting weight (in Jan) of 160. I lost those
    pounds in the first month. Since, then, NOTHING.

    I still can't be seen in a pair of shorts. My lower half looks exactly
    the same. I'm wearing the same pants size....and there's not even a
    slight loosening. My boyfriend says he can't see an iota of
    difference.

    I'm STARVING all the time on as much as 1800 calories. It's really
    starting to get annoying.

    My upper body looks a lot different.....shoulders broader, a better V
    taper, muscles showing. People at the gym have commented on it. I've
    got an impressive set of callouses. I'm receiving a lot more positive
    attention from males in the gym.

    I'm a lot stronger on all my lifts. For example, top lifts went from
    20 lb dumbbells in the bicep curl to 30 lb .. . my squat has increased
    from 85 lb to 145 lb.....my pulldowns have gone from 80 lb to 120 lb.
    But so freakin' what? My only reason for lifting heavy like this is to
    increase my metabolism so I can lose body fat. And that doesn't seem
    to be happening.

    I'm very frustrated....I feel like I'm doing everything right....how
    could I possibly go from being a couch potato eating all those
    calories, to all this activity and calorie reduction, and still stay
    the same size?

    I'm not really asking for advice. I said I would report on what's
    happening, and that's what's happening. I'm still going to the gym and
    continuing with the plan. I don't intend to stop. It does seem to
    have some benefits. But not the benefits that I really want.

  2. Deb said:

    Well, here I am, back again. I started training in early Nov after a


    3

    Quoted message said:

    year layoff, and dropped my calories in mid-January after the


    exercise

    Quoted message said:

    alone had failed to make any significant change in my physique.

    So you dropped your calories about 2 months ago.

    Quoted message said:


    So, since Jan, I've been doing 3 days of weights a week, 4-5 days of
    cardio (HIIT, 30 minutes) and eating from 1500 to 1800 calories a day
    instead of my previous 2000-2200.

    You dropped your calories by a few hundred calories a day. Assuming
    that the 2000-2200 was your maintenance, and that you're counting
    correctly, then you should be expecting a loss of a pound a week at
    most. That's perfectly reasonable, but you have to realize that you
    probably won't see a change every week, because it'll get lost in the
    noise of normal fluctuations.

    Quoted message said:

    What's changed? Little.

    [censored].

    Quoted message said:


    I lost 6 pounds from my starting weight (in Jan) of 160. I lost


    those

    Quoted message said:

    pounds in the first month. Since, then, NOTHING.

    So you haven't seen the scale move for a few weeks. It happens. You may
    have lost some fat, and you haven't seen it because of daily
    fluctuations.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm STARVING all the time on as much as 1800 calories. It's really
    starting to get annoying.

    What are you eating?

    Quoted message said:


    My upper body looks a lot different.....shoulders broader, a better V
    taper, muscles showing. People at the gym have commented on it.


    I've

    Quoted message said:

    got an impressive set of callouses. I'm receiving a lot more


    positive

    Quoted message said:

    attention from males in the gym.

    And this is little change?

    Quoted message said:


    I'm a lot stronger on all my lifts. For example, top lifts went from
    20 lb dumbbells in the bicep curl to 30 lb .. . my squat has


    increased

    Quoted message said:

    from 85 lb to 145 lb.....my pulldowns have gone from 80 lb to 120 lb.

    Again, little change? What have you been smoking, dear?

    Quoted message said:

    But so freakin' what? My only reason for lifting heavy like this is


    to

    Quoted message said:

    increase my metabolism so I can lose body fat. And that doesn't seem
    to be happening.

    How fast are you expecting to lose weight?

    Quoted message said:


    I'm not really asking for advice.

    I'm giving it to you anyway. My advice is to be patient.

  3. I was expecting to see steady weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week, with
    the goal of losing a total of 30 pounds by June 1. That was the
    original goal. Now that's not a reasonable goal anymore, because I'd
    have to lose over 2 pounds a week starting now, which would not be
    healthy.

    That was a big blunder of me to say 3 months when it really is two.
    Dunno, perhaps it FEELS like 3 months in my head.

  4. sorry, it's only been 2 months. Forgive my rantings. I think I'm just
    [censored] today. I'll be back in a few months with another report.

  5. Deb said:

    I was expecting to see steady weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week, with
    the goal of losing a total of 30 pounds by June 1. That was the
    original goal. Now that's not a reasonable goal anymore, because I'd
    have to lose over 2 pounds a week starting now, which would not be
    healthy.

    Take measurements. Dont fixate on the scale.

    Quoted message said:

    That was a big blunder of me to say 3 months when it really is two.
    Dunno, perhaps it FEELS like 3 months in my head.

    Two months...8weeks...lost 6 pounds...hmmmm...sounds more than
    reasonable to me. Yes impatience rears its ugly head! We all want to
    'see' immediate results, but what can be happening is on the inside and
    not necessarily showing up yet on the outside layers. Just stay on
    track. Maybe try zigzagging your weekly calories, and post a bit of
    about what you eat per day. Sometimes changing a few food choices or
    ratios makes all the difference when you have to make every calorie
    count.

    <<joni>>

    (aka joanne, mom, and now grandmom)

  6. joni wrote:

    Maybe try zigzagging your weekly calories, and post a bit of

    Quoted message said:

    about what you eat per day. Sometimes changing a few food choices or
    ratios makes all the difference when you have to make every calorie
    count.

    I actually did spend some time in a bookstore reading recently about
    Hatfield's zig zag method and thought I'd give it a shot. It would be
    a hell of a lot easier on the weekends, when I am often out and about
    and I'm not logging calories into FitDay as I eat them (I do that
    during the week) and therefore can't keep track as well of how many I
    have left daily to play with. The weekend would be my time of
    increased calorie intake, then.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Deb" <[email hidden]> writes:
    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    So, since Jan, I've been doing 3 days of weights a week, 4-5 days of
    cardio (HIIT, 30 minutes) and eating from 1500 to 1800 calories a day
    instead of my previous 2000-2200.

    What's changed? Little.

    I lost 6 pounds from my starting weight (in Jan) of 160. I lost those
    pounds in the first month. Since, then, NOTHING.


    [snip]

    Quoted message said:


    I'm not really asking for advice.


    [snip]

    Quoted message said:

    Well, I'm going to make some observations, then 😉.

    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) cardio workout is not a
    fat-loss regimen. HIIT is for improving cardio fitness and
    endurance. To burn fat, you need to establish your anaerobic
    threshold and do your 30 minutes on treadmills, exercycles, rowing
    machines, whatever, at (at least) slightly below your AT. (Note:
    Some folks equate AT with LT [lactic threshold]. This is not
    necessarily the case. It's distinctly possible, perhaps even
    probable, that your AT is *significantly* below your LT.)

    Next: What's your diet like? Many people make the mistake of
    equating reduced fat intake with body fat loss. It ain't necessarily
    so. In fact: There's evidence that reducing fat intake *too* far
    will result in body fat *gain*. The reason is that your body uses
    stored fat for long-term energy reserves. When it senses a reduction
    in intake, it compensates by trying to store more--to the extent of
    converting carbs and proteins, incl. stored glycogen and amino acids
    (*if* I recall correctly), to fat. This is one reason "low fat"
    diets get one only so far, then stop, and, when the "normal" diet is
    resumed, it all comes back quickly.

    Given that your regimens look like all strength and endurance
    training, your weight measurements probably don't mean all that
    much. Muscle gain, fat loss. I started working out more intensely
    about three weeks ago. I'm losing an average of about 1/2 lb. per
    week. But my pants legs are *way* loose on me now and I've been
    bumping the weights on one-or-more machines by 10-20 lbs./week.
    (Prior to this I dropped 20-25 lbs. over a two-year period with a
    modest change in eating habits, light floor exercises at home three
    times a week, and increased walking. Then I more-or-less "stalled."
    So I long-ago lost most of the "easy" fat 😉.)

    Lastly: You *do* realize that your body will use up "excess" fat
    stores in the reverse order in which it saved them up, I hope? In
    women, it's usually thighs first-on/last-off, is it not? One of my
    goals is to get rid of the damn spare tire. But, being a guy, unless
    I *really* work my legs, arms, chest and back, I'll look like a
    collection of sticks long before that happens 😉.

    Standard Disclaimer: I'm neither a health professional nor a fitness
    expert. My comments merely reflect what I believe I've learned about
    health and fitness lately. If I've got any of it wrong, hopefully
    somebody more knowledgeable will be along shortly with corrections.

    Good luck, Deb, and above all: Have *fun* with it!

    --
    Jim Seymour | "It is wrong always, everywhere and
    WARNING: The "From:" address is a | for everyone to believe anything upon
    spam trap. DON'T USE IT! Use: | insufficient evidence."
    [email hidden] | - W. K. Clifford, ca. 1876

  8. Deb said:

    I was expecting to see steady weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week,

    Eat less. You should have started with about 1600
    calories a day.

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

  9. Runs With Knives said:


    Well, I'm going to make some observations, then 😉.

    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) cardio workout is not a
    fat-loss regimen. HIIT is for improving cardio fitness and
    endurance.

    Jim, that is completely the opposite of what some people told me in
    here when I first posted in January. At that time, I was doing 45 min
    of cardio at a lower intensity....many advised HIIT because it was a
    "great way to stimulate fat loss." I switched and found that it was
    much more intense and certainly felt like I was working harder.

    Quoted message said:

    Next: What's your diet like? Many people make the mistake of
    equating reduced fat intake with body fat loss.

    I didn't reduce fat. I reduced total calories working off the straight
    "calories in, calories out" principle. I use FitDay to track. Some
    days, my diet is 50% fat! Most days it's a lower percentage than
    that....I actually expressed some concern over the fat ratios that were
    appearing in my diet and again, a number of people here said "who
    cares? Calories in, calories out!"

    WHAT exactly am I eating? My rule of thumb is to eat as many
    unprocessed foods as I can, and count up the calories. So in the
    morning, for example, I'll be having eggs, tomatoes, cheese, sausage
    omelet....afternoon will be something like meat and two veg...all
    cooked fresh. Sometimes I have pizza or a burger with a bun....but I
    do try to keep those breads and processed carbs to a minimum....I also
    eat steel cut oatmeal for breakfast sometimes. I have cut out all
    drinks that have calories, so no more fruit juice or regular cola or
    snapple.....I've increased my water intake. Most of the water I drink
    gets ingested AT the gym. One 20 oz bottle while I lift, another 20 oz
    bottle during the cardio session.

    Quoted message said:


    Lastly: You *do* realize that your body will use up "excess" fat
    stores in the reverse order in which it saved them up, I hope? In
    women, it's usually thighs first-on/last-off, is it not? One of my
    goals is to get rid of the damn spare tire. But, being a guy, unless
    I *really* work my legs, arms, chest and back, I'll look like a
    collection of sticks long before that happens 😉.

    This is making itself apparent with all the dramatic changes in my
    upper body with seemingly nothing going on down below. I have noticed,
    however, that 10 years ago, I could see the vein down my bicep very
    clearly, now, however, it's not visible despite clearly increased
    muscle size and definition. This means that there is certainly a
    higher fat percentage on my body as a whole than there was back then.

    Quoted message said:


    Good luck, Deb, and above all: Have *fun* with it!

    Thanks for your comments, Jim.

  10. Deb said:

    Well, here I am, back again. I started training in early Nov after a 3
    year layoff, and dropped my calories in mid-January after the exercise
    alone had failed to make any significant change in my physique.

    So, since Jan, I've been doing 3 days of weights a week, 4-5 days of
    cardio (HIIT, 30 minutes) and eating from 1500 to 1800 calories a day
    instead of my previous 2000-2200.

    What's changed? Little.

    I lost 6 pounds from my starting weight (in Jan) of 160. I lost those
    pounds in the first month. Since, then, NOTHING.

    I still can't be seen in a pair of shorts. My lower half looks exactly
    the same. I'm wearing the same pants size....and there's not even a
    slight loosening. My boyfriend says he can't see an iota of
    difference.

    I'm STARVING all the time on as much as 1800 calories. It's really
    starting to get annoying.

    My upper body looks a lot different.....shoulders broader, a better V
    taper, muscles showing. People at the gym have commented on it. I've
    got an impressive set of callouses. I'm receiving a lot more positive
    attention from males in the gym.

    I'm a lot stronger on all my lifts. For example, top lifts went from
    20 lb dumbbells in the bicep curl to 30 lb .. . my squat has increased
    from 85 lb to 145 lb.....my pulldowns have gone from 80 lb to 120 lb.
    But so freakin' what? My only reason for lifting heavy like this is to
    increase my metabolism so I can lose body fat. And that doesn't seem
    to be happening.

    I'm very frustrated....I feel like I'm doing everything right....how
    could I possibly go from being a couch potato eating all those
    calories, to all this activity and calorie reduction, and still stay
    the same size?

    I'm not really asking for advice. I said I would report on what's
    happening, and that's what's happening. I'm still going to the gym and
    continuing with the plan. I don't intend to stop. It does seem to
    have some benefits. But not the benefits that I really want.

    Sounds like you lost fat and gained muscle, which is a good thing.
    But because you're a woman, you have a congenital weakness in that you
    can only see losing weight as progress, and not see improving your
    body composition as progress.

    -----------
    Proton Soup

    "And all this peace has been deceiving,
    I need some wind to get me sailing"

  11. "Deb" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:1111773264.975108.237280
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Next: What's your diet like? Many people make the mistake of
    equating reduced fat intake with body fat loss.

    I didn't reduce fat. I reduced total calories working off the straight
    "calories in, calories out" principle. I use FitDay to track. Some
    days, my diet is 50% fat! Most days it's a lower percentage than
    that....I actually expressed some concern over the fat ratios that were
    appearing in my diet and again, a number of people here said "who
    cares? Calories in, calories out!"

    I don't think those numbers add up. 50% fat + 1500-1800 cal/day + at least
    ..8g protien/lb leaves less than nothing left over for carbs I bet.

    Make sure you're getting enough protein. Won't make you lighter, but will be
    good for you.

    Hugh

    --
    Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

  12. Hugh Beyer wrote:>

    Quoted message said:

    Make sure you're getting enough protein. Won't make you lighter, but


    will be

    Quoted message said:

    good for you.

    You're a good detective. Many days the protein ratio is too low. I'm
    working on it.

  13. Quoted message said:

    I'm STARVING all the time on as much as 1800 calories. It's really
    starting to get annoying.

    You shouldn't be STARVING on 1800. and there's no need.
    Eat more protein. 1gm/pound bodyweight is the figure quoted here most
    often. Protein satisfies hunger better than fat and carbs.

    Ray

    --
    2002 1.8i eternal red

  14. Deb said:

    So, since Jan, I've been doing 3 days of weights a week, 4-5 days of
    cardio (HIIT, 30 minutes) and eating from 1500 to 1800 calories a day
    instead of my previous 2000-2200.
    I lost 6 pounds from my starting weight (in Jan) of 160. I lost


    those

    Quoted message said:

    pounds in the first month. Since, then, NOTHING.

    I'm STARVING all the time on as much as 1800 calories. It's really
    starting to get annoying.

    Hi Deb,

    I'm replying because it was your messages (and the various responses)
    back in January that inspired me to begin using fitday to track my
    intake. I've been restricting calories along with working out since
    then, and have been happily surprised at the results (I started at
    ~174, now I'm at 158, but with a lot more muscle). My workout regimen
    sounds pretty similar to yours; I do 3 days of weights, 3 days of
    30-minute HIIT, and 3 days of lower-impact cardio per week. I also
    walk 2-3 miles a day to school and back. So I thought I would share
    the experience of someone who's in a somewhat-similar situation, who
    started restricting calories at the same time as you.

    Eating 5-6 meals a day has been KEY for me in sticking to it. I'm
    really not hungry, which is the only reason this has worked. I try to
    keep around 1500-1600 calories a day (I'm a 5'6" woman). A typical
    day's eating would look like:

    8am: Smoothie with 20g whey protein, 1 TB flaxseed meal, and 1C of
    various fruit. Yum. ~ 200cal

    9:30am: Latte with skim/1% milk (my advisor keeps an espresso machine
    at the lab to keep his students productive). ~100cal

    11am: Lunch #1: Big spinach salad with cabbage, cubes of roasted
    squash, 1/2 can of tuna, and vinaigrette containing 1TB olive oil.
    ~300cal

    3pm: Lunch #2 (post-workout): Mypolex deluxe meal replacement bar (or
    3/4 of one, since they're big), or leftover stir-fry from home. ~300
    cal

    7pm: Dinner - usually ~6oz of grilled/seared fish plus stir-fried
    veggies, or a stir-fry with seitan/soy protein and veggies on brown
    rice, and always, a glass (or more!) of red wine. ~450 cal

    10pm: Snacks - sometimes a smoothie/protein shake, sometimes cheese on
    crackers, usually <200cal.

    It comes out to 1500-1600 calories on most days, and I try to keep
    protein above 100g to help with building muscle mass. I feel like I'm
    eating all the time, which is why it's been OK sticking to it. I also
    let myself have at least a glass of wine every night, which keeps me
    from feeling deprived. On weekends, I definitely have more calories,
    but I concentrate on maintaining the deficit over the long haul.

    I found it was important to log in fitday EVERY day, even weekends.
    That was the only way I could get a sense of my overall caloric
    deficit. I splurge on weekends, drink more beer, and I'm fine with
    that. However, logging the splurges in fitday helps me ackowledge them
    and how they fit into the overall picture.

    Probably equally as helpful has been just lurking around this group,
    trying to absorb the collective wisdom. I'm a science dork, so I see
    this transformation as a project, which helps me a lot.

    It sounds like you're on the right track, the deficit may just not be
    large enough for the quicker results you were hoping for. Also, I'm
    sure you already know this, but when you weigh yourself makes such a
    difference - depending on my monthly cycle, I put on or lose several
    pounds. It's funny to look at the fitday weight graph and see the
    "waves".

    Good luck!

    --AD

  15. Deb said:

    I was expecting to see steady weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week,

    It's pretty unusual for anyone to see steady weight loss at any rate
    for any length of time anyway. But I don't think you have enough of a
    deficit to get more than a pound a week. Remember that for each pound,
    you have to have a deficit of 3500 calories. To lose 2 pounds a week,
    you'd need to have a deficit of 1000 calories a day. There's always
    some slop in calculating both intake and expenditure, so even if you
    think you have that much of a deficit (and I doubt you do) then you
    probably don't.

    Quoted message said:

    with
    the goal of losing a total of 30 pounds by June 1. That was the
    original goal. Now that's not a reasonable goal anymore, because I'd
    have to lose over 2 pounds a week starting now, which would not be
    healthy.

    Any particular reason you picked that number and that date?

    Quoted message said:


    That was a big blunder of me to say 3 months when it really is two.
    Dunno, perhaps it FEELS like 3 months in my head.

    Heh. Yeah, 2 months of dieting can feel like 6.

  16. Quoted message said:

    Eating 5-6 meals a day has been KEY for me in sticking to it. I'm
    really not hungry, which is the only reason this has worked. I try


    to

    Quoted message said:

    keep around 1500-1600 calories a day (I'm a 5'6" woman). A typical
    day's eating would look like:

    8am: Smoothie with 20g whey protein, 1 TB flaxseed meal, and 1C of
    various fruit. Yum. ~ 200cal

    9:30am: Latte with skim/1% milk (my advisor keeps an espresso machine
    at the lab to keep his students productive). ~100cal

    11am: Lunch #1: Big spinach salad with cabbage, cubes of roasted
    squash, 1/2 can of tuna, and vinaigrette containing 1TB olive oil.
    ~300cal

    3pm: Lunch #2 (post-workout): Mypolex deluxe meal replacement bar (or
    3/4 of one, since they're big), or leftover stir-fry from home. ~300
    cal

    7pm: Dinner - usually ~6oz of grilled/seared fish plus stir-fried
    veggies, or a stir-fry with seitan/soy protein and veggies on brown
    rice, and always, a glass (or more!) of red wine. ~450 cal

    10pm: Snacks - sometimes a smoothie/protein shake, sometimes cheese


    on

    Quoted message said:

    crackers, usually <200cal.

    It comes out to 1500-1600 calories on most days, and I try to keep
    protein above 100g to help with building muscle mass. I feel like


    I'm

    Quoted message said:

    eating all the time, which is why it's been OK sticking to it. I


    also

    Quoted message said:

    let myself have at least a glass of wine every night, which keeps me
    from feeling deprived. On weekends, I definitely have more calories,
    but I concentrate on maintaining the deficit over the long haul.

    AD, you've got some good things to say here. It's becoming apparent to
    me that I need more restriction and control in what I eat and when I
    eat. I may have to regiment my foods and times a lot more the way you
    do. Please tell me - what brand of whey protein and flaxseed meal are
    you using? I have access to a Vitamin Shoppe right near my house.

    I've been using Luna bars, Pria bars, and sometimes even SlimFast cans
    when I "run out" of calories too early in the day and they are all I
    have room for in my 1500 plan. . . I don't feel guilty about doing
    this, but I'd like to have to do it a lot less often. Your method
    seems to be a good way to prevent this scenario from happening too
    often. Having room for wine is really good...I have cut that out
    completely and sometimes on a weekend it sucks.

    Starting on Monday, I'll try your method of eating more often.

    I know what you mean about female cycles fluctuating weight. Three
    weeks ago, I had an attack of PMS that lasted two full weeks and caused
    me to gain back ALL the 6 pounds I had lost in a matter of 4 days. I
    got my period and had a colonoscopy scheduled on the same day, which
    you may or may not know, requires you to have a clear liquid diet for
    24 hours and drink mass quantities of laxatives....right after the
    colonoscopy I weighed myself and I had lost the 6 pounds plus an
    additional 4.....of course I didn't enter that number into FitDay
    because my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth and it was pretty
    obvious that severe dehydration was the cause....I think I had consumed
    only 400 calories the day of the clear liquid diet.

  17. geek_girl said:
    Quoted message said:

    with
    the goal of losing a total of 30 pounds by June 1. That was the
    original goal. Now that's not a reasonable goal anymore, because


    I'd

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have to lose over 2 pounds a week starting now, which would not be
    healthy.

    Any particular reason you picked that number and that date?

    At my peak of fitness, with muscle strength and lifts similar to what I
    am doing now, I only weighed 130. I looked fantastic and wore a size
    4. So I picked that number again. I picked that date because there
    was a 20 year high school reunion that month, plus clothing starts
    coming off in June...skirts, halters, shorts.

  18. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    Sounds like you lost fat and gained muscle, which is a good thing.
    But because you're a woman, you have a congenital weakness in that you
    can only see losing weight as progress, and not see improving your
    body composition as progress.

    Right. I'm guessing you didn't have much muscle when you started so
    you've been in the phase where you are trading fat for muscle but this
    can be frustrating when looking at a scale because muscle weighs more
    (you've still managed to lose 6 pounds which means you've lost more than
    6 pounds of fat). You are doing it the right way, and you will reap the
    rewards. You're adding fat burning muscle which will increase your
    metabolism and work for you later to burn off your fat 24 hours a day.
    People can initially lose weight quicker by doing a low cal diet with
    little excercise but that way is a disaster for many reasons that I'm
    sure you know -- kills your metabolism, weight comes right back, body
    fat percentage goes up.

    Regarding being hungry, you didn't mention how you were eating. 6 small
    meals vs. 3 bigger meals is key to controlling hunger and has many
    metabolic benefits too. Keep up the good work!

    John Black

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Deb said:


    Runs With Knives said:


    Well, I'm going to make some observations, then 😉.

    High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) cardio workout is not a
    fat-loss regimen. HIIT is for improving cardio fitness and
    endurance.

    Jim, that is completely the opposite of what some people told me in
    here when I first posted in January. At that time, I was doing 45 min
    of cardio at a lower intensity....many advised HIIT because it was a
    "great way to stimulate fat loss." I switched and found that it was
    much more intense and certainly felt like I was working harder.

    Well, yeah, it *is* much more intense. But you don't have to get
    "intense" to burn fat. Do some web searches on "aerobic exercise,"
    "anaerobic threshold" and the like. According to what I've recently
    learned, as I said: Exercising over your AT is actually
    counter-productive if fat-loss is your goal.

    I work out three times a week. Each visit consists of an hour on
    strength-training machines (sometimes more) and 30 minutes of
    aerobics or cardio (cardio every 3rd visit), spread across three of
    six machines I like, 10 minutes/machine. But I've three goals at
    once: 1. Lose the fat, 2. Cardio/endurance improvement, 3. Body
    shaping/toning and strength improvement. I may soon knock another
    10 minutes off the strength training and add it to the aerobics,
    given my #1 and #2 goals.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Next: What's your diet like? Many people make the mistake of
    equating reduced fat intake with body fat loss.

    I didn't reduce fat. I reduced total calories working off the straight
    "calories in, calories out" principle. I use FitDay to track. Some
    days, my diet is 50% fat! Most days it's a lower percentage than
    that....I actually expressed some concern over the fat ratios that were
    appearing in my diet and again, a number of people here said "who
    cares? Calories in, calories out!"


    [snip]

    I'm not a nutritionist, but that doesn't sound right to me. It's my
    understanding that, as a general rule-of-thumb: For good
    cardiovascular health you want to keep the fats down to no more than
    30% of calories derived from fat.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:


    Lastly: You *do* realize that your body will use up "excess" fat
    stores in the reverse order in which it saved them up, I hope?


    [snip]

    Quoted message said:


    This is making itself apparent with all the dramatic changes in my
    upper body with seemingly nothing going on down below.


    [snip]

    I've only been hanging-out here for a short while, and I don't really
    have a good feel for this newsgroup's general perspective. One would
    *think* it would be toward strength-training, muscle-building,
    body-sculpting, etc. These goals may not be the same as yours. You
    *might* be better-served in misc.fitness.aerobic or
    misc.fitness.misc.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Good luck, Deb, and above all: Have *fun* with it!

    Thanks for your comments, Jim.

    You're quite welcome.

    --
    Jim Seymour | "It is wrong always, everywhere and
    WARNING: The "From:" address is a | for everyone to believe anything upon
    spam trap. DON'T USE IT! Use: | insufficient evidence."
    [email hidden] | - W. K. Clifford, ca. 1876

  20. Deb said:

    AD, you've got some good things to say here. It's becoming apparent


    to

    Quoted message said:

    me that I need more restriction and control in what I eat and when I
    eat. I may have to regiment my foods and times a lot more the way


    you

    Quoted message said:

    do. Please tell me - what brand of whey protein and flaxseed meal


    are

    Quoted message said:

    you using? I have access to a Vitamin Shoppe right near my house.

    I use something called "Jarrow formula" vanilla whey protein, but
    that's only because it's the cheapest one they have at Whole Foods! I'm
    a grad student, so money is an issue. Online sources may be cheaper,
    and I suspect one brand is pretty similar to another--plain whey
    protein might be nasty, though. 1 scoop has 100 calories and 18 g of
    protein. You can also get flaxseed meal at natural foods stores and
    well-stocked supermarkets - I use Bob's Red Mill brand. 1TB has 30
    cals, 2g each of fat/carb/protein, and it's a good source of both
    omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It has a rich, nutty taste.

    A note about protein - I eat mostly vegetarian (fish only), and always
    scoffed at those who said "make sure you get enough protein!". But now
    I see their point. My old way of eating often didn't hit 40g of
    protein a day; probably fine for a sedentary woman, definitely not fine
    for someone working out and trying to add muscle. And I have to admit,
    now that I aim for 100g+/day, I'm having much better luck balancing my
    nutrition and staving off hunger. The protein has displaced refined
    carbohydrates in my diet for the most part, and I think that has a big
    impact on hunger levels. I'm not eating low-carb by any stretch,
    'cause that's just not my style. I'm just trying to keep all the food
    as unprocessed as I can and nutritionally dense.

    A nice side benefit of cooking this way, and one that stunned the HECK
    out of me, is the fact meal preparation takes less time. I love to
    cook, and used to think nothing of fussing for hours over elaborate
    vegetarian concoctions that were tasty, but generally fairly high-carb,
    medium-fat, and low-protein. Now that I've shifted my emphasis to fish
    and seitain/soy protein stir-fries, I find that dinner takes 30 minutes
    or less most nights. Eureka - time and health! The salads and
    leftovers for lunch are also fast, I use bagged baby spinach. At
    $3/bag, it isn't cheap, but if it makes a week's worth of salads and
    it's good for my health, it's worth it. And keep the olive oil in your
    salad dressing if you like it - just measure it so you don't go
    overboard! It's so much tastier than those fat-free dressings, and I
    think it helps make you feel full for longer.

    Quoted message said:

    I've been using Luna bars, Pria bars, and sometimes even SlimFast


    cans

    Quoted message said:

    when I "run out" of calories too early in the day and they are all I
    have room for in my 1500 plan. . . I don't feel guilty about doing
    this, but I'd like to have to do it a lot less often. Your method
    seems to be a good way to prevent this scenario from happening too
    often. Having room for wine is really good...I have cut that out
    completely and sometimes on a weekend it sucks.

    One thing that helped me was to really check the nutritional content of
    the various "energy" bars. There is a HUGE amount of variation in how
    they partition their macronutrients. Some have only 8g of protein and
    30+g of carbohydrate. I'm not saying carbs are bad - but for me, I've
    come to the realization that too many carbs end up displacing the other
    stuff I need to get (protein). I've been using the EAS Myoplex bars,
    which contain 25-30g of protein and roughly equal amounts of carbs in
    250-350 calorie packages. The Deluxe bars are good for after workouts
    (small amount of simple sugars to promote recovery), their Carb Control
    bars are good for meal replacement anytime (low-glycemic-index carbs).
    I bought them online at www.vitaglo.com and they came out to ~$1.25
    each, much cheaper than retail.

    Definitely make room for wine, or occasional chocolate if it's your
    thing! I think one of the keys to long-term success is making room to
    enjoy what you really love. So I don't beat myself up for going to a
    brewpub once a week, I just make room for the beer it by eating lightly
    (but concentrated in nutrition and protein). Other people have a
    couple of small chocolates a day, or hit a buffet once a week --
    moderation, not deprivation!

    Quoted message said:

    Starting on Monday, I'll try your method of eating more often.

    I know what you mean about female cycles fluctuating weight. Three
    weeks ago, I had an attack of PMS that lasted two full weeks and


    caused

    Quoted message said:

    me to gain back ALL the 6 pounds I had lost in a matter of 4 days. I
    got my period and had a colonoscopy scheduled on the same day, which
    you may or may not know, requires you to have a clear liquid diet for
    24 hours and drink mass quantities of laxatives....right after the
    colonoscopy I weighed myself and I had lost the 6 pounds plus an
    additional 4.....of course I didn't enter that number into FitDay
    because my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth and it was pretty
    obvious that severe dehydration was the cause....I think I had


    consumed

    Quoted message said:

    only 400 calories the day of the clear liquid diet.

    Yikes! Yeah, those pounds don't sound like the kind you want to lose.
    It is frustrating, all the fluctuations in weight - it's nice that
    FitDay puts it into perspective for what it is (noise).

    Good luck!

    --AD

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.