rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

36ers Wide or narrow hubs

Started by onebyone · · Last activity · 18 posts · 207 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
21 September 2007
Last activity
22 September 2007
Original author
onebyone
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
207
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This has been done before but I would love some input from you EXPERTS.
    I started on a Coker Big One with a narrow hub years ago. I wrecked the
    wheel and upgraded to a wide hub, Hunter frame etc because they are
    stronger and I liked them.
    Now all 36"ers have wider hubs, the UDC 36" Machine, Nimbus and Dave
    Stockton wheels, were are you Dave?
    NOW, I still feel that I could ride uphills and long rides better on
    the old Coker with a narrow hub due to less Q factor and more energy
    being delivered to going forward not sideways.
    SO, if I have an Aifoil rim built on a KH ISIS hub, I reckon it would
    overcome the weakness of the Coker wheel and deliver better power.
    Is the strength of the wide hub only required for 36" Muniing, jumping
    or trials? For touring, do we need that much strength?
    I look forward to your input.
    Cheers
    Mal
    www.unicycle.au.com

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alien!
    www.municycle.com.au
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. onebyone said:


    Now all 36"ers have wider hubs, the UDC 36" Machine, Nimbus and Dave
    Stockton wheels, were are you Dave?
    NOW, I still feel that I could ride uphills and long rides better on
    the old Coker with a narrow hub due to less Q factor and more energy
    being delivered to going forward not sideways.

    So nothing stops you from having narrow hub 🙂 (see below...)

    Quoted message said:


    SO, if I have an Aifoil rim built on a KH ISIS hub, I reckon it would
    overcome the weakness of the Coker wheel and deliver better power.
    Is the strength of the wide hub only required for 36" Muniing, jumping
    or trials? For touring, do we need that much strength?

    Well, in fact I'm quite new to the 36" world, but that's what I think:
    Wide hubs are not used in 36ers due to their strength, but just
    because
    36" wheel is darn big 🙂 and darn big wheels built on narrow hubs
    are quite flexible sideways.
    (BrianMacKenzie had a nice movie that showed how spectacular such flex
    can be 🙂
    So wide hubs are used to make wheels more rigid especially when
    hopping,
    riding over stuff (logs, curbs, etc) and turning.

    Now, when some of new 36" rims have 48 spokes like the new Coker and
    the new Qu-ax, there is much less need for wide hubs I suppose.

    --
    j-n
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    j-n's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12470
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. I am not urguing or wondering about that wider hubs are stonger or
    stiffer, I am sure they are (BTW one of my wide hubs deflects big time
    on an idle freemount).
    If the main aim is to go forward like touring, is the extra strength
    needed as a trade off of energy...to go forward. Forget jumping,
    muniing etc.

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alien!
    www.municycle.com.au
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. I guess we have to wait. Coker likes making us wait

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alien!
    www.municycle.com.au
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Hi Mal,

    I've used a std hub for years with no problems associated with flexing
    at all. Plenty of riders I would consider 'experts' prefer to use the
    narrow hubs.

    Yes, a wide hub in theory has less flex, although I have seen many of
    these wide hubbed wheels wobbling from side to side (that's even with
    Hunter frames). I guess a lot of it would depend on wheelbuild and how
    heavy you are, how you ride etc. I've done quite a few mountainbike
    races on my Coker (12/24hr races; The 106km Hidden Vale Epic in
    Brisbane, Karapoti, Rainbow Rage), so the std UDC hub is definitely
    strong enough for off-road use.

    The KH ISIS or Nimbus ISIS should make quite a nice Coker hub....you
    can now get most of the useful crank lengths (unless you're an 89mm
    speed demon). Also, if you are worried about Q factor then use
    straight cranks like the Quax ones.

    That said, I'm sure the wide hubs are adequate for touring. If I was
    in the market for a off-the-shelf Coker right now, I would probably
    have a look at the Nimbuses (Nimbii?).

    Ken

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Ah, and one more thing:

    I'm wondering about the influence of wider vs narrow hub on the knee
    pain
    and knee overload...

    Has anybody had any thoughts about that?

    --
    j-n
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    j-n's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12470
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. I too have several years of heavy riding (I'm relatively heavy too @ 200
    lbs.) on an old stock Coker with NO problems with the narrow hub. I
    ride in the city mostly and have made countless fast 90 degree turns to
    avoid traffic and I ride pretty aggressively (less so, since I switched
    to 102 cranks this spring). I drop off curbs routinely but that's the
    extent to which I do 'drops'.
    I like how my feet feel close together laterally. It's not awkward to
    pinch my knees together in front of the tire for aerodynamic effect and
    efficiency.
    I'm dubious about these EXTRA SUPER EXTRA wide hubs for 36er roadies.

    --
    genbirch
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    genbirch's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14788
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. With the rims that are manufactured these days (Airfoil, Nimbus, Qu-ax
    and Coker) you don't need an extra wide hub. To do so would be
    overkill. My first wheel was a airfoil rim with a 127mm Nimbus hub and
    I really loved it untill I switched to the narrow Qu-ax wheelset and
    found that heaven. I changed back to airfoil once but found it horrible
    to ride because it was so wide. I don't think you really need an ISIS
    hub even though Qu-ax now has awesome lightweight cranks with no
    Q-factor. Does anyone know the weight of a cotterless hub VS an ISIS
    splined hub? To see if it's worth going to ISIS just for weight.

    --
    DustinSchaap

    Dutch unicyclist community: 'Eenwiel.nl' (http://eenwiel.nl)
    'Municycle.com' (http://www.einradladen.net/shop/index.php/language/en)

    'Qu-Ax unicycles' (http://qu-ax.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DustinSchaap's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12614
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. The ergonomics with a wide hub vs. a standard hub will depend on the
    rider. If you have wider hips and longer legs you'll adjust to the
    wide hub more easily. If you have shorter legs and narrower hips then
    the standard hub may be more appropriate from an ergonomic standpoint.

    I'm able to ride a wide hub with minimal side to side wobble or "S"
    style tire track. I also have long legs. But even for me, from a
    purely ergonomic standpoint a narrow hub would be better in that my
    legs would be more in line with my hips. But I'm able to adjust and it
    hasn't bothered me at all.

    With all other things being equal, a wide hub will also give you a
    stronger wheel with less lateral flex of the rim. That can be
    important if you plan to use a brake. Proper spoke tension is also
    important if you want to avoid broken spokes.

    The wheel build will also affect the strength and stiffness of the
    wheel. It is easier to get a stronger wheel build with the wider hub.
    The wheel build is already very fussy with a Coker size wheel.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Team Never Wash Your Muni
    'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
    (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
    (http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. john_childs said:

    The ergonomics with a wide hub vs. a standard hub will depend on the
    rider. If you have wider hips and longer legs you'll adjust to the
    wide hub more easily. If you have shorter legs and narrower hips then
    the standard hub may be more appropriate from an ergonomic standpoint.

    I'm able to ride a wide hub with minimal side to side wobble or "S"
    style tire track. I also have long legs. But even for me, from a
    purely ergonomic standpoint a narrow hub would be better in that my
    legs would be more in line with my hips. But I'm able to adjust and it
    hasn't bothered me at all.

    With all other things being equal, a wide hub will also give you a
    stronger wheel with less lateral flex of the rim. That can be
    important if you plan to use a brake. Proper spoke tension is also
    important if you want to avoid broken spokes.

    The wheel build will also affect the strength and stiffness of the
    wheel. It is easier to get a stronger wheel build with the wider hub.
    The wheel build is already very fussy with a Coker size wheel.

    so for someone like me who is 194cm (6"4) and 125kg (i think 275 lbs) a
    wider hub would be ideal?

    --
    mr_charm

    "Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows".
    - Helen Keller
    "You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take.
    - Wayne Gretzky
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mr_charm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15748
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. mr_charm said:

    so for someone like me who is 194cm (6"4) and 125kg (i think 275 lbs) a
    wider hub would be ideal?

    Ideal would be a magical wheel that is narrow yet stiff and strong.
    But you must compromise the ideal with practicalities.

    A taller person, and especially one who is heavier, would do better
    with a wider hub than a shorter person. Given your height and weight
    I'd go for the extra wide hub.

    Something that isn't often noted in the wide hub vs. narrow hub debate
    is the height of the rider making observations on what they prefer.

    --
    john_childs

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Team Never Wash Your Muni
    'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
    (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
    (http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. There are not simply two hub sizes (wide and narrow).

    The original cokers sold with Suze hubs which had 61mm flange to flange
    spacing. These hubs, combined with the flimsey steel rim, made for a
    pretty weak and flexy wheel.

    Current UDC Wide hubs (which, ironically, are what I think you guys are
    calling "narrow"😉 have a 71mm ftf width. These hubs combined with an
    aluminum rim make a pretty decent wheel. I've used similar wider hubs
    with 36ers (semcycle pro, schwinn), which are both significantly wider
    than the original Suzue (but narrower than the EXTRA wide hub)

    I think the UDC EXTRA Wide hubs, which are standard for 36ers now, are
    a bit of overkill. They have a 100mm ftf width, and they make for a
    very strong wheel, that's a little bit more wobbly. This, mind, you,
    can be exaggerated by cranks with a high Q factor. In fact, I would say
    a wide hub with straight cranks, probably performs similarly to a
    narrower hub with high Q cranks.

    All this being said, I think wide hubs are fine, and only really affect
    your speed if you're a fast rider. I still go plenty fast with an Extra
    wide hub, but I think I prefer the slightly narrower hubs.

    It should be noted that the KH moment (and I think other splined hubs)
    use 42mm OD bearings, and might not be compatible with current Hunter
    frames, and other machined bearing-holder frames which were made for
    40mm OD bearings.

    --
    mscalisi

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha <><


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. I'm a small person (120 lbs and going on 21 years old next year) and I
    find the standard thin coker hub not very much different in my short
    experience with it than the UDC holy [censored] super jesus god wide hub. I
    like the wide pedal spacing and even have 15mm of Q on my cranks to
    space it out a bit further. I've found that the narrow hub accelerates
    faster going downhill because of less wind resistance but don't really
    have a complaint either way. I rode my super holy [censored] wide hub 500
    miles in 7 days and had zero knee pain....my ankles were a mess after
    that but that is way more likely due to seat height and 110mm cranks I
    had used all week. Now that I'm on a shorter post and longer cranks I
    feel like I Could go all day without problems.

    --
    mouse

    Quoted message said:

    Originally Posted by johnfoss
    Yes, being old makes you stupid.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mouse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14148
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. john_childs said:

    everything i said

    I agree. I find that when riding perfectly upright I keep to the
    outside of the pedals but when going into the wind and I am in a more
    prone bent forward position I keep my feet as close to the cranks as
    possible

    --
    mouse

    Quoted message said:

    Originally Posted by johnfoss
    Yes, being old makes you stupid.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mouse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14148
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. I would love to see this hub on a 36er: http://tinyurl.com/39sdav maybe
    it will be a project for my airfoil uni 🙄

    --
    DustinSchaap

    Dutch unicyclist community: 'Eenwiel.nl' (http://eenwiel.nl)
    'Municycle.com' (http://www.einradladen.net/shop/index.php/language/en)

    'Qu-Ax unicycles' (http://qu-ax.com/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DustinSchaap's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12614
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. Thanks for the input guys. Why I was thinking KH or an ISIS hub is
    because I bought some KH Moments and love the quality. Also with square
    taper cranks I am forever re-tightening them.
    I will look into bearings that have the same ID and 40mm OD.

    --
    onebyone

    Bill Blogs is an alien!
    www.municycle.com.au
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. john_childs said:

    On a unicycle you are sitting upright. The hips are not rolled
    forward. The body position is upright like you're walking and the hips
    are square under you like they are when you're walking.

    Maybe that's why I differ from all the wide hubbed unicyclists. My
    body position is most definitely not upright!

    Lowering your body position helps spread the weight onto your arms and
    lowers your centre of gravity making you more stable. I see many
    people riding bolt upright and it makes me cringe....surely it's got to
    hurt putting all your weight on your crotch? You wouldn't be very
    efficient riding a bike in the upright position either....

    Ken

    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
    |Filename: Body position.jpg |
    |Download: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/22428 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. + to that Ken!

    --
    unisk8r
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64393

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.