46 cm road to hybrid conversion???????

veganheart

Jan 30, 2004
I know this is a question that some may say is uninformed/niave etc but... Can I convert a 46cm frame into a hybrid style, by just adding mtn handlebars? I know this frame would be way too small for me if I used it with the convential dropbars, but the frames of mountain bikes are usually way smaller so I thought I could get the benefits of lightness etc from a roadie with the combfort of a hybrid. I have neck problems so I cant be bent over on dropbars and I dont want to ride a recumbent. BTW this is a track frame so i know that i will have to make modifications such as brakes etc
:rolleyes:
Thanks for your constructive advice:D

Originally posted by veganheart
I know this is a question that some may say is uninformed/niave etc but... Can I convert a 46cm frame into a hybrid style, by just adding mtn handlebars? I know this frame would be way too small for me if I used it with the convential dropbars, but the frames of mountain bikes are usually way smaller so I thought I could get the benefits of lightness etc from a roadie with the combfort of a hybrid. I have neck problems so I cant be bent over on dropbars and I dont want to ride a recumbent. BTW this is a track frame so i know that i will have to make modifications such as brakes etc
:rolleyes:
Thanks for your constructive advice:D
I would not waste my time or money unless you would be satisfied with a single speed. Track frames have 120 rear dropout spacing and current road hubs take 130. Steel could be spread,but that is just the beginning of the problems. A track frmae will also have no cable stops for brakes and derailers and will lack a derailer mounting tab on the right dropout. Mounting brakes is another issue.

lol , sounds like you have a heck of a big job ahead of you as boudreaux described the modifications!

good luck (sounds like you will need it!)

keep it fixed! if you're getting the bike for cheap/free, experiment with it. all you have to do is throw a front brake on it and you're set. riser bars would be good, but i think the only problem is you wouldn't be able to squeeze fatter tires onto it, which you would probably want.