$50 Walmart bike vs more expensive stuff

Yes but I am also trying to cut costs as much as I possibly can. At this point I'm planning on getting the "Monterey Bay 3-speed" that garage sale GT mentioned. It costs about 2 1/2 roadmasters ;) but still it looks like the best bet for me. I'm comparing to other cruiser bikes (which I never really looked at) and will make my decision from there, but right now it is unbeaten.

I'd still consider second-hand though.

You might be buying the bike just for exercise at the moment, but that might change once you find out what a useful form of transport it is.

My main ride (a "good" second-hand Trek Fx hybrid) only cost me $220 (Aussie dollar) from my LBS, and 27 months on (and approx 12,000Km ridden) it is still going strong.

Good luck finding that bargain bike, anyway.
Happy riding

JDOUtlook said:
Yes but I am also trying to cut costs as much as I possibly can. At this point I'm planning on getting the "Monterey Bay 3-speed" that garage sale GT mentioned. It costs about 2 1/2 roadmasters ;) but still it looks like the best bet for me. I'm comparing to other cruiser bikes (which I never really looked at) and will make my decision from there, but right now it is unbeaten.
I am in fairly good cycling shape, though. You tend to dread steeper hills a bit when on a 3 speed. Low is only 25% lower, high is only 33% higher than second, and all the gears are a bit tall, i.e. good for flat ground. However, you can get a bigger rear sprocket which is easy to install except that you need a new, longer chain.

Plus, it didn't fit until I got a taller seatpost and a straighter bar but I am 6'1".

JDOUtlook said:
Haha, I am a pretty cheap guy :p My frugalness has served me well over the years though so I don't think it's a bad thing.

So other than the brakes potentially failing it doesn't sound like there will be THAT MUCH difference between this bike and a $200 bike. I figure if it does break down, and I'm sure it will at some point, I can just leave it on the side of the road, jog the rest of the way home, and buy a new bike for less than the cumulative maintenance costs of an expensive bike. China economics ;)
Our club "tunes up" over a 1000 "Toys for Tots" donations every Christmas season. Most come from Wal-Mart, Sam's, Costco, etc. Once you get that bargain junker, prepare to spend a frustrating hour or two trying to adjust brakes and shifters, plus hubs, spokes. We see cables mis-routed, forks put on backwards, stems and bars loose, brakes bent and dragging, etc, etc, etc.

Check over all adjustments and fasteners carefully, since these bikes are assembled mostly by idiots who have no concept of torque specs and no regard for your safety. After you actually ride the thing, prepare to do it all again since half the stuff will come out of tune. I often wonder if we're really doing poor kids a favor by giving them these bikes as Christmas toys, since most won't have any means of keeping the bikes going after the first couple of rides.

An entry-level bike from a real LBS for $600, or a good used bike is a much better way to get into the sport.

Maybe he wants to get some big honkin leg muscles pedalling that heavy steel thing around and big honkin arm muscles wrenching it every time he wants to ride it again:rolleyes: .

kdelong said:
Maybe he wants to get some big honkin leg muscles pedalling that heavy steel thing around and big honkin arm muscles wrenching it every time he wants to ride it again:rolleyes: .
So how much would you say a typical low-end lbs hybrid weighs?

Perhaps if you ride a 30lb bike, you'll climb mountains with no training at all, but adding 10 lb will make the bike so much harder to pedal that it will be like doing a leg press.

garage sale GT said:
So how much would you say a typical low-end lbs hybrid weighs?

Perhaps if you ride a 30lb bike, you'll climb mountains with no training at all, but adding 10 lb will make the bike so much harder to pedal that it will be like doing a leg press.
I have a Trek 7.2FX hybrid bike. It cost $389 before tax. I don't know the weight of it, but it was light enough for me to ride in and thoroughly enjoy the BPMS-150 Houston to Austin (a ride that entials a lot of climbing). It's a great bike and was worth every penny.

I'm not going to champion a $50 wallyworld bike, as I think it will likely have plenty of problems (cheap construction, parts that are likely not repairable and easy to break, etc.), but for a beginner weight should likely not be a big concern.
As long as you aren't expecting race speeds out of it, a heavy bike isn't necessarily that much of a hinderence if it is geared OK. My 35lb utility bike with its ultra low gearing is no harder to get up a steep hill, even loaded up 28 lbs cat food and kittly litter than my ultra light carbon race bike. Its not nearly as *fast* up that same hill, but I don't have any trouble with it either (in fact I can spin more on the utility bike, since the gearing truely is really low). Now a 35 lb bike with race bike gearing on it, on the other hand sounds like a prescription for blown out knees.

Some of the Walmart bike wheels have a rough edge where the rim is welded together that could eat your brake pads. Check several of their bikes to look for one that is smooth.

Also check the wheels to find one that is the most "true" and doesn't wobble from side to side when you spin it.

When I was poor I had a $70 department store mountain bike. It lasted a long time and I rode it 20 miles round trip to work every day in the rain.

Sure the expensive bikes are nicer, but if you can't afford one I say go ahead and get the Walmart bike. Just make sure you know how to adjust the deraileurs and brakes.

The OP is clearly looking for someone to support his decision that cheaper is better, so I will - buy this bike you will be exremely happy with it. It will be a joy to ride, last decades, give you great service and you will be delighted as you ride by other folks with more expensive bikes thinking about how much money you saved.

greyg8r said:
The OP is clearly looking for someone to support his decision that cheaper is better, so I will - buy this bike you will be exremely happy with it. It will be a joy to ride, last decades, give you great service and you will be delighted as you ride by other folks with more expensive bikes thinking about how much money you saved.
I would guess that your occupation is Military Recruiter. I was going to say Used Car Salesman but they would never support "Cheaper".