56 chainring on Trek 5900 - derailleur hanger

Jens Kurt Heyck

Guest
I tried to plop a 56t chainring on my 5900 today and found the front derailleur doesn't clear. The
little hanger that the derailleur is mounted on is too short to raise the derailleur high enough.

Anyone know if/where you can get longer hangers?

thanks, J

You might get enough extra height by removing the bracket and filing the slot higher. But what's the
application? Unless you're using it for time trialing (and are *extremely* strong), there isn't a
whole lot of use for the type of gearing that only a 56t chainring can provide. Using an 11t rear
cog, you get a mighty-tall gear with a standard 53t.

"Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I tried to plop a 56t chainring on my 5900 today and found the front derailleur doesn't clear. The
> little hanger that the derailleur is mounted on is too short to raise the derailleur high enough.
>
> Anyone know if/where you can get longer hangers?
>

> thanks, J

I'm not real strong but it's for a time trial that includes a -3% grade. Estimating about 300 watts
power, I get a speed of 38mph, which I think means ~100 rpm at 56X12. And I'm a real masher,
preferring a cadence around 70-80.

I guess I'll go the other route and get an 11t rear cog and a 53 or 54 front (I currently
have a 52).

thanks, j

> You might get enough extra height by removing the bracket and filing the slot higher. But what's
> the application? Unless you're using it for time trialing (and are *extremely* strong), there
> isn't a whole lot of use for the type of gearing that only a 56t chainring can provide. Using an
> 11t rear cog, you get a mighty-tall gear with a standard 53t.

> "Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I tried to plop a 56t chainring on my 5900 today and found the front derailleur doesn't clear.
> > The little hanger that the derailleur is mounted on is too short to raise the derailleur high
> > enough.
> >
> > Anyone know if/where you can get longer hangers?
> >

> > thanks, J

In article <p%[email protected]>, Jens Kurt Heycke
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm not real strong but it's for a time trial that includes a -3% grade. Estimating about 300 watts
>power, I get a speed of 38mph, which I think means ~100 rpm at 56X12.

You'd get almost the same result with 53x11, and implementing that would be a lot less trouble and
would not screw up the bike as much for everyday riding. If the 56 is just out of reach, get a 54.

--Paul