Adding small chainring for Trek 1000

crazyjonboy

Mar 14, 2004
Hi,
I recently got a really good deal on a Trek 1000. It has a double chainset but I would quite like to change this to a triple. The chainset is a Shimano Sora. Is there an easy and cheap way of doing this or do I have to replace the whole thing (chainset, front mech etc)?

Cheers

Originally posted by crazyjonboy
Hi,
I recently got a really good deal on a Trek 1000. It has a double chainset but I would quite like to change this to a triple. The chainset is a Shimano Sora. Is there an easy and cheap way of doing this or do I have to replace the whole thing (chainset, front mech etc)?

Cheers
It wasn't such a good deal. Since sora shifters are double or triple, you need a triple front shifter,crankset, bottom bracket and most likely a FD.

Originally posted by crazyjonboy
Hi,

Cheers

I'd stay with the double setup because it would be costly to change. Staying with a double will give you a better chainline too. If you want hill climbing gears, then you could get an 8 or 9-speed rear derailleur for mountain bikes and an 8-speed cassette for mountain bikes.