6 speed fw to7 speed-rearDerailler wont shift to smallest gear

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alan Smollen, Feb 16, 2003.

  1. Alan Smollen

    Alan Smollen Guest

    Here it is, I turned the adjustment screw out but it just wont reach the 7th gear(12teeth) It is a
    87 shimano 105 that was sold with a freewheel 6speed threaded on. I needs only3-5 millimeters to get
    the gear. the other direction for the low gear (bigone) is fine. How could I shift the shifting
    range of the rd short of bending the dr. alan

    --
    Acappella Radio=Check out what I'm listening to right now at http://www.live365.com/stations/266369
    . It's an online radio station on

    Tags:

  2. alan-<< Here it is, I turned the adjustment screw out but it just wont reach the 7th gear(12teeth)
    It is a 87 shimano 105 that was sold with a freewheel 6speed threaded on.

    Should work fine. may not if return spring is toasted, pivots are not smooth any longer. You tried
    unscrewing the small cog limit screw w/o the cable attached, yes?

    May also see if the der hanger is straight.

  3. Pete Geurds

    Pete Geurds Guest

    >Here it is, I turned the adjustment screw out but it just wont reach the 7th gear(12teeth) It is a
    >87 shimano 105 that was sold with a freewheel 6speed threaded on. I needs only3-5 millimeters to
    >get the gear. the other direction for the low gear (bigone) is fine. How could I shift the shifting
    >range of the rd short of bending the dr. alan

    If the cable is still taut when the shift lever is in high gear position it won't allow the
    derailleur to move through it's travel towards high gear.

    see Sheldon Brown's page on derailleur adjustment: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

    Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Alan Smollen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Here it is, I turned the adjustment screw out but it just wont reach the
    7th
    > gear(12teeth) It is a 87 shimano 105 that was sold with a freewheel 6speed threaded on. I needs
    > only3-5 millimeters to get the gear. the other direction for the low gear (bigone) is fine. How
    > could I shift the
    shifting
    > range of the rd short of bending the dr.

    Is there excessive spacing between the high gear and the right frame end? Check your chainline
    before bending the changer.

  5. Alan Smollen

    Alan Smollen Guest

    Peter, thank you for the reply the shifters are friction and the cable is tensionless with lots of
    slack. the screw is not touching the inner lever.. I will clean it up on the inside and mess with
    it. I called shimano in osaka and the word i got was that , 1987 , the 1050 was for 6speeds only,
    duraace was for the 7speed.. anyway, I will LBS it and make sure the parts/frame is straight. Love
    my old bike, I will probly just put the the old 6speed back on and swap some of the gears. Alan