70's DeRosa question

professor

Sep 22, 2004
I have some questions about an old DeRosa bike. I have what I believe to be a 70's vintage DeRosa in "well loved but ridden" condition. It is still my main road bike, but my mileage is currently modest (knees of middle age ;( ). In any case, I picked this bike up used, and at least 3rd hand about 15 years ago and the owner claimed it was special edition to celebrate Eddy Merkx's career. I've always been curious if it had any value as a collectors item, and now small amounts of rust are beginning to appear, and I need to decide if I am going to treat it as collectable, or continue to ride it, requiring some touch-up. In any case, I discovered a picture on the web, of what looks a lot like my bike on a "collectors" page, with no explanation given. The URL for this page is www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/De-Rosa/de_rosa_blue.htm .The only obvious difference between my bike and the one shown, is that in addition to the multicolor stripes on the downtube are overlaid with decals depicting maps of France and Italy. Also, the "D in the heart" logo depicted on the web page does not appear. Instead, there is red on white heart whose tip is overlaid on a horizontal diamond made of concentric (for lack of a better word) strips of different colors. Any ideas about the history of this bike? It appears to have mostly original parts - the only ones I have replaced are the seatpost and set. Is it of any obvious collector's value? I allmost hope not, as It still rides like silk....Looking for input.

professor said:
I have some questions about an old DeRosa bike. I have what I believe to be a 70's vintage DeRosa in "well loved but ridden" condition. It is still my main road bike, but my mileage is currently modest (knees of middle age ;( ). In any case, I picked this bike up used, and at least 3rd hand about 15 years ago and the owner claimed it was special edition to celebrate Eddy Merkx's career. I've always been curious if it had any value as a collectors item, and now small amounts of rust are beginning to appear, and I need to decide if I am going to treat it as collectable, or continue to ride it, requiring some touch-up. In any case, I discovered a picture on the web, of what looks a lot like my bike on a "collectors" page, with no explanation given. The URL for this page is www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/De-Rosa/de_rosa_blue.htm .The only obvious difference between my bike and the one shown, is that in addition to the multicolor stripes on the downtube are overlaid with decals depicting maps of France and Italy. Also, the "D in the heart" logo depicted on the web page does not appear. Instead, there is red on white heart whose tip is overlaid on a horizontal diamond made of concentric (for lack of a better word) strips of different colors. Any ideas about the history of this bike? It appears to have mostly original parts - the only ones I have replaced are the seatpost and set. Is it of any obvious collector's value? I allmost hope not, as It still rides like silk....Looking for input.

Can you post a picture?

Hey professor, did I do something wrong, or are the links to the photos not working? :confused:

Please double check and do let us know! :)

professor said:
I think I've got them working now......sorry folks!
After seeing the pictures I am most certainly sure it is a 1981 Eddy Merckx Super Prestige DeRosa. I remember seeing a 1981 model for sale on ebay a couple of months back with the same decals and chrome forks. Your bike has pantographs on the stem and large chain ring, which are also very nice and desirable. THe pat 81 on the rear derailer also confirms the year of the bike.
What you have is a top of the line De Rosa with Campy Super Record components.
I have a 1982 Eddy Merckd model, it has the same prestige decal, but no map decals and painted fork. Other than that the two bikes are identically equipped.
I would not be so quick to replace your shifters. The simplex also made some pretty decent stuff back in those days (just like Campy also made entry steel parts for mass bikes back then too).some would even consider it an upgrade to the Campy shifters because they are lighter and work equally well.

I do have a question for you:
Does your rear hub have a black steel band covering the middle section of the hub? How about the front hub?

It is a great bike and I certainly enjoy riding mine.

Mike

Both hubs have the black steel bands. Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to have it refinished, with original decals, so I can ride it for another 15 years! I've been talking with an organization called cyclart.com. has anyone ever worked with them? Anyone else recommended for ajob of this type?

professor said:
I've always been curious if it had any value as a collectors item, and now small amounts of rust are beginning to appear, and I need to decide if I am going to treat it as collectable, or continue to ride it, requiring some touch-up. In any case, I discovered a picture on the web, of what looks a lot like my bike on a "collectors" page, with no explanation given. The URL for this page is www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/De-Rosa/de_rosa_blue.htm
DeRosa from the '80s are less collectable than DeRosa from the '70s. The '70s DeRosa have more elaborate cutouts on the lugs. I think the most collectable DeRosas from the '70s are the ones with 1st generation Super Record components.
If your bike were all original, no worn out parts with 8 or 9 out of 10 condition. You can sell it for at least $500 or more. Of course on Ebay sky is the limit.
Personally, I would keep the bike and enjoy the ride. My '82 DeRosa still rides beautifully and it certainly keep up with my '02 Orbea. In fact I get more questions and complements on the DeRosa because of its vintage and rarity. Who wants to ride a bike everyone has

I hope this helps,

The bike looks to be a piece of **** and poorly cared for.
Are you interested in selling it? he he

Just kidding above.
Getting a six speed with a 53-45? over the Middlebury Gap must be a blast.
I have tried to buy one of these recently. Prices are all over the place. Orbea is right about value of 70s over 80s.

Check out Sheldon Brown's web sites and Harris Cyclery as he has values about vintage bikes up.
Great bike. if you are interested in selling...

hombredesubaru said:
The bike looks to be a piece of **** and poorly cared for.
Are you interested in selling it? he he

Just kidding above.
Getting a six speed with a 53-45? over the Middlebury Gap must be a blast.
I have tried to buy one of these recently. Prices are all over the place. Orbea is right about value of 70s over 80s.

Check out Sheldon Brown's web sites and Harris Cyclery as he has values about vintage bikes up.
Great bike. if you are interested in selling...
Price on vintage Italian and Campy parts have certainly shot up over the past 5 years. I remember when I put my 1st bike together, started with a mid '70s Schwinn Paramount bare frame, I would go to bike swap meets and pick up Nuovo record derailleurs for $8 to $10 bucks a piece in great working and cosmetic condition, a set of record hubs laced to MA40 rims for less than $200 in mint condition. It was old campy parts heaven because everyone wanted the latest Shimano STI stuff. This of course was about 10 years ago.
I bought my DeRosa about 6 years ago complete for about $250, the paint is a bit rough but overall very good condition.
Of course Ebay changed all that..........I'm just glad I still have all these old bikes hanging in my garage.

Below is a picture of my 1982 DeRosa and a much more rare 198? Haral, all I know about the Haral is that it was likely built in the SF bay area. I even asked Brent Steelman who used to work for Haral, Brent was great to get back to me but he too did not know much about the origin of the bike. It was built with French Excell tubing......It rides awesome and looks even sweeter, my most prized possession.

OrbeaMike, Professor, etc:

Several months ago, I bought my girlfriend a secondhand De Rosa with Columbus SLX tubing. It was built for 650c wheels, had a flat-crown fork, and half-wrap seat stays. On the bottom bracket engraved "Geronimo"; on the underside of the bottom bracket was "Wilfredo de Leon." The Os had the hearts in them.

Can anyone tell me when this frame was made? (I'm guessing mid-80s.) Was Geronimo a model? Was De Leon a framebuilder or the person for whom the bike was made?

The bike rides very well, btw.

Thanks for input,
Ress, Philippines

Not for sale Hombre! I'm actually kind of relieved that its not a particularly hot collectors item, as I love riding it, even over Midd Gap (which is literally in my backyard). Although It does seem like there is some serious orogeny going on in that section of the green mountains these days!
icon12.gif

ressbautista said:
OrbeaMike, Professor, etc:

Several months ago, I bought my girlfriend a secondhand De Rosa with Columbus SLX tubing. It was built for 650c wheels, had a flat-crown fork, and half-wrap seat stays. On the bottom bracket engraved "Geronimo"; on the underside of the bottom bracket was "Wilfredo de Leon." The Os had the hearts in them.

Can anyone tell me when this frame was made? (I'm guessing mid-80s.) Was Geronimo a model? Was De Leon a framebuilder or the person for whom the bike was made?

The bike rides very well, btw.

Thanks for input,
Ress, Philippines
How about a picture of the bike?
Flat crown fork is DeRosa's signature still used today. DeRosa built with SLX tubings well into the '90s. Sometimes it's easier to date the bike with the components that came with the bike (assuming original equipped)

I will send a pic asap.

I had the bike repainted by an experienced local here in Manila. It was a faded purple; now it is racing blue. The decals have not been replaced yet. It came with well-worn Shimano 600 parts (non-STI) and CXP 12 wheels with screw-type rear hub. I have replaced these with a mix of 8-speed DuraAce/RX 100 (STI) and CXP 33 wheels with Ultegra hubs.

Do De Rosa framebuilders engrave their names on the bottom bracket?
OrbeaMike said:
How about a picture of the bike?

Flat crown fork is DeRosa's signature still used today. DeRosa built with SLX tubings well into the '90s. Sometimes it's easier to date the bike with the components that came with the bike (assuming original equipped)

ressbautista said:
I will send a pic asap.

I had the bike repainted by an experienced local here in Manila. It was a faded purple; now it is racing blue. The decals have not been replaced yet. It came with well-worn Shimano 600 parts (non-STI) and CXP 12 wheels with screw-type rear hub. I have replaced these with a mix of 8-speed DuraAce/RX 100 (STI) and CXP 33 wheels with Ultegra hubs.

Do De Rosa framebuilders engrave their names on the bottom bracket?
I'm not aware of DeRosa framesbuilders engraving their names on the bike anywhere. Even today DeRosa is a tightly controlled family business and I believe Ugo himself still supervises the production of frames.

Shimano started the STI revolution around 1985. So if the 600 parts are original you can date it to pre '85. Once a bike has been repainted it's difficult
to judge the age because it is often the small details that separates the years. Other than the heart on the OS (not sure what this is ?) Are there any other markings or engravings on the bike?

De Rosa is engraved on the right chainstay, the top of the seatstays, the botttom bracket and the fork crown. All the letter Os have the heart in them. I think the lugs have cutouts, too. Will check and send pics asap.

Thanks

OrbeaMike said:
I'm not aware of DeRosa framesbuilders engraving their names on the bike anywhere. Even today DeRosa is a tightly controlled family business and I believe Ugo himself still supervises the production of frames.

Shimano started the STI revolution around 1985. So if the 600 parts are original you can date it to pre '85. Once a bike has been repainted it's difficult
to judge the age because it is often the small details that separates the years. Other than the heart on the OS (not sure what this is ?) Are there any other markings or engravings on the bike?

I also have a HARAL that was given to me last year. What a beauty!! I will post some pictures so we can compare them.....

Anthony

OrbeaMike said:
Below is a picture of my 1982 DeRosa and a much more rare 198? Haral, all I know about the Haral is that it was likely built in the SF bay area. I even asked Brent Steelman who used to work for Haral, Brent was great to get back to me but he too did not know much about the origin of the bike. It was built with French Excell tubing......It rides awesome and looks even sweeter, my most prized possession.