80's vintage derosa

rbtmcardle

Apr 22, 2006
Recently bought a 1980's vintage derosa with the chrome fork and all. My dilemma, what to build it up with? I have a complete Shimano D/A 9 speed group, but think that is almost akin to a crime. any ideas?

I have a Calfee and Vortex as my main rides so this would be just for fun, always seem to have fond memories of steel frames and want to reminisce. Who knows I may just go back full time.....

rbtmcardle said:
Recently bought a 1980's vintage derosa with the chrome fork and all. My dilemma, what to build it up with? I have a complete Shimano D/A 9 speed group, but think that is almost akin to a crime. any ideas?

I have a Calfee and Vortex as my main rides so this would be just for fun, always seem to have fond memories of steel frames and want to reminisce. Who knows I may just go back full time.....
I almost want to say that if you have to ask, you don't deserve to have that frame... Just kidding.

Obviously Campagnolo, the only question is whether to go retro or modern. Since you already have two modern rides, I would go retro.

rbtmcardle said:
I have a complete Shimano D/A 9 speed group, but think that is almost akin to a crime. any ideas?
Really depends what you want to use it for. I have a "criminal" early-80s De Rosa in my garage, because I replaced the vintage Campy stuff with the Shimano Ultegra9 group that became available when I put DA10 on my race bike. With the STI shifting and better (i.e. modern) brakes, it is a fun bike to ride. But then I use it as my spare bike, so rideability was more of a priority than vintage accuracy. Since you already have two good bikes, you might enjoy having a "period accurate" Campy-equipped bike. Kind of analagous to digital cameras and old Leicas.

Go retro Campagnolo. With a bit of patience (and some quality e-bay time) you could put together a wonderful Corsa Record equipped bike (still the most beautiful group ever made, IMHO of course) that will ride like a joy and be even nicer to look at.

rbtmcardle said:

I am just now finishing up a refurbishment of a late 80's-early 90's Eddy Merckx I've owned for a long time. It came with Campy and Shimano 600 (!), but I haven't ridden it in 12 years and some of the stuff was rusted and beyond use.

I kept the Campy BB the LBS said was good to go, and replaced the headset with Campy SR. I've scoured eBay for the rest of the stuff, all Campy, and now have everything in hand, or in shipment, except brake levers. My wheels are Mavics with Shimano hubs and cassette, which will do for now.

I am too old, fat and slow to think about racing, so this will be a fitness bike. I probably could have gone down to the LBS and bought a hybrid type for the same or less money than I spent, but this will have some elan, and I've learned a whole lot doing it, never a bad thing.

Hi.

They were owned raced with Shimano too(or is that abhorent to you people?!:rolleyes: ) so you could equipe it with retro Shimano. If you have newer bikes to ride race go retro with it(may be not the pedals). Either old Shimano or Campag - if in good condition it should be a nice old ride. Enjoy, Paul :)